XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Solving electrical probems and pics of new (to me) 2013 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 01:47 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
$750 sounds pretty reasonable to me. I second Lotusprites's YouTube suggestion. Here Here is one featuring your engine. The reviewer does failure analysis of many engines, mostly caused by misuse or neglect. While not applicable to your situation, it may be beneficial to see the complexities involved in removing the valve covers, particularly the one on the right side.
Thank you, appreciated.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:51 PM
QP7

Originally Posted by dmchao
While you are in there, take a look at your coolant parts, stub for the water pump, and anything else that looks aged and replace them, as well as the rear coolant crossover. V6 is easier and more forgiving. I paid $4k all in for my 5.0 valve covers replacement both banks, supercharger removal, coolant tubes installation, but about $1.1k was the injectors that failed after putting the thing back together. OEM injectors are overpriced, if I did it again I would have asked my indy to get a set of 8 from FCPEuro and just swap them at the same time.
I agree, thank you. I'm having a hard job reaching the chap to discuss; as he is not of the preventative mind set, per se. But I will keep trying... One other bit of good news is he thinks the alternator is likely ok, but is doing a number of additional tests. I am overall greatly relieved he feels the car is A1 but he still suggested I sell it and buy "a Toyota or a Lexus". You have to laugh. And certainly not sure my partner would agree !.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:07 PM
QP7

As for the supercharger coupler rebuild kit... is this the correct one? It seems to say only for 5.0 l engine and mine is the 3.0 l V6 SS.
Amazon Amazon

This looks better: -
https://powerhouse.uk/
https://powerhouse.uk/supercharger-p...-rebuild-kits/

Is this a correct write up?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-guide-241373/

Last edited by QP7; 01-17-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietness Preferred
I am overall greatly relieved he feels the car is A1 but he still suggested I sell it and buy "a Toyota or a Lexus". You have to laugh. And certainly not sure my partner would agree !.
Stay strong. Unless you like boring character cars, life is too short not to drive a Jag.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-17-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 05:50 AM
QP7

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
$750 sounds pretty reasonable to me. I second Lotusprites's YouTube suggestion. Here Here is one featuring your engine. The reviewer does failure analysis of many engines, mostly caused by misuse or neglect. While not applicable to your situation, it may be beneficial to see the complexities involved in removing the valve covers, particularly the one on the right side.
It does seem $750 is indeed reasonable as the shop time to do the valve cover gaskets is apparently 14 hours. (assuming XJ is similar to XF - arguably, a ridiculous design to need that much time... but that's another story) BTW - is there a source anywhere that can tell us what the recommended Jaguar shop time is for each type of major repair?

And my electrical problems were caused by the oil leak as I am now told the alternator was flooded with oil, from the valve cover gasket leak. I read one poster put in an alternator shield to minimize chances of that happening again, but (if I read that correctly) he also wrapped it in foil which caused one of the nuts to burn out...

Anyway, a new alternator is on the way shorty - will be Delso. Unless anyone has any better suggestions? I may consider rebuilding the OEM unit already in there, but I'm not sure that is even possible when a lot of oil has contaminated it, and also I am not n USA but in a remote location and skill sets there are poor to put it mildly. Delso seems very reasonably priced at $260.

Last edited by QP7; 01-19-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:28 AM
QP7

Denso, not Delso.... Is there anything better? It seems not. But suggestions are welcome.... The alternator was shorted out by the oil.

Also, is there any alternator metal cover available for the X351 that could protect it in future from oil leaks?

Old 01-23-2024, 11:34 AM
QP7

Given I have now read so much about the water pump part numbers and needing the very latest, as I have just ordered the Denso Alternator from Autohaus I just wanted to check, can anyone confirm this is the best and / or latest part number?? (I cant imagine it being as touchy as the water pump issue...).

Denso Alternator
P/N: DE-T2H15686

Old 01-27-2024, 08:32 PM
QP7

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Stay strong. Unless you like boring character cars, life is too short not to drive a Jag.
Beginning to have some faith - Denso Aternator is here (only $259), right part number too - thanks all. Install set for later this week..., plus the new Z23 brake pads. Now I just need the correct supercharger coupling / snout rebuild kit. What do you all recommend for that? And then check to see if the water pump was already replaced, as luckily many of my coolant pipes have been by the dealer in Asia, followed perhaps by decent pressure test.

The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (01-27-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 11:17 AM
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Jaguar sells a repair kit. I used that 30k miles ago.
Folks have been replacing with solid isolators as well. Your choice - there were enough fly by night suppliers out there I don't particularly like messing with unknown materials.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Jaguar sells a repair kit. I used that 30k miles ago.
Folks have been replacing with solid isolators as well. Your choice - there were enough fly by night suppliers out there I don't particularly like messing with unknown materials.
Is that kit the whole new snout for around $800, or do they have something else now?

Old 01-28-2024, 12:33 PM
Default Kit pn

No, I believe it’s the same.
the hoses crack and wear out over time as well if you have a vacuum actuated supercharger bypass (pre-2014 I think?)

the solid coupler makes some noise as well so I just skipped it.

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...r-kit-c2d58056

Old 01-28-2024, 05:08 PM
QP7

No, I believe it’s the same.
the hoses crack and wear out over time as well if you have a vacuum actuated supercharger bypass (pre-2014 I think?)

the solid coupler makes some noise as well so I just skipped it.

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...r-kit-c2d58056
Thanks that is helpful - here is one, that I found for the 3.0 litre but it may be poor or good aftermarket?
https://www.wholesalepartsexpress.co...3104-c2d40425/

The main question would be, perhaps like the water pump, is that the most recent part number?

Old 01-29-2024, 03:21 PM

I think you're asking reasonable questions, but there is someone who's job is to answer those (for free I might add). The dealer parts department can help you confirm all of these part numbers with your VIN.

Jaguar doesn't seem to keep revving parts just to rev, keep in mind - this vehicle is OUT of production and had relatively low sales volume to begin with. So only pressing issues push change, especially tool steel changes that might impact how a part is injection molded and shipped to be used in our cooling system. It just probably won't happen.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:29 PM
QP7

I think you're asking reasonable questions, but there is someone who's job is to answer those (for free I might add). The dealer parts department can help you confirm all of these part numbers with your VIN.

Jaguar doesn't seem to keep revving parts just to rev, keep in mind - this vehicle is OUT of production and had relatively low sales volume to begin with. So only pressing issues push change, especially tool steel changes that might impact how a part is injection molded and shipped to be used in our cooling system. It just probably won't happen.
Many thanks and much appreciated. All good points...

Old 02-03-2024, 05:29 PM
QP7

Thanks for everyone's help, I finally pick her up tomorrow. Apparently many of the coolant pipes have already been replaced by the dealer where the car came from, and we are checking the water pump to see which part number it has on there now. At least now nothing has any seepage, but I will monitor very carefully for obvious reasons. The valve cover gaskets are now done, new alternator (Denso) is in and only left to do is a snout rebuild kit and a new water coolant tank due to faulty sensor. We will see tomorrow how good this chap's work has been... fingers crossed, but he came well recommended. He also replaced the injector seals and oil change, on top of changing the valve cover gaskets. The valve covers themselves were in perfect shape and also there was no carbon build up in the chambers when he had it all open. Thanks all...

Last edited by QP7; 02-03-2024 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:12 AM
QP7

OK, I am increasingly convinced there s a deep electrical fault... So I picked her up. All good, It runs very well. Oil burning smell, Likely no big deal - just remnants of oil being burned off after the valve cover gasket change - some long hard drives and the smell is 90%gone. So, likely fine. But then adaptive suspension fault light came back on. This happened before (per this thread) and was an immediate precursor to losing the entire battery and power. Since then I have changed both the alternator and the battery and been told the leaking valve covers shorted the alternator. I do not buy that is the whole story. I have the old alternator and will get it analyzed, but more importantly something is weakening my cars electrical system and no one has yet found it. Another tell? After I plugged in my cell phone charger... 5 minutes later the suspension faults started coming on. (just like last time) LONG WAY TO GO ON THSI X351. And, likely, just another example of parts changing idiocy. Thank God for the forum and people with brains. My best guess, is somewhere deep in the car's system a wire or electrical part of the system is faulty.