XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

some of you who did timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some of you who did timing?

hey guys, i got 13 xj 5.0 sc, and there's alot of videos on YouTube about timing job, but i really cannot find anywhere where they actually show how to set it on zero, or top dead center or something where the crank is centered, or how exactly to do it?

Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabriel Kat
hey guys, i got 13 xj 5.0 sc, and there's alot of videos on YouTube about timing job, but i really cannot find anywhere where they actually show how to set it on zero, or top dead center or something where the crank is centered, or how exactly to do it?
There is a unique hole in the flex/plate flywheel for the appropriate timing tool, you gain access by removing the crank sensor, to get close to the mentioned hole the crank pully keyway needs to be at 6oclock, furthermore the cams need to be locked at the rear, but only pointing the unique triangulated VVT phasers bolts at a certain orientaron, otherwise you are 180 off, most of the triangles will be pointed down. The manual is a good guide for picture reference, for proper orientation of the VVT phaser bolts.

At what stage are you at or are you just trying to gather info? Please read my thread on changing and you will find useful conversation and pictures. Search for posts started by me.

There is a Zip Tie method and a proper full procedure that includes locking the cam. Similar procedure but if Zip Tie method goes wrong you will be forced to do the full procedure.

Last edited by ricardoa1; 06-27-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ricardoa1
There is a unique hole in the flex/plate flywheel for the appropriate timing tool, you gain access by removing the crank sensor, to get close to the mentioned hole the crank pully keyway needs to be at 6oclock, furthermore the cams need to be locked at the rear, but only pointing the unique triangulated VVT phasers bolts at a certain orientaron, otherwise you are 180 off, most of the triangles will be pointed down. The manual is a good guide for picture reference, for proper orientation of the VVT phaser bolts.

At what stage are you at or are you just trying to gather info? Please read my thread on changing and you will find useful conversation and pictures. Search for posts started by me.

There is a Zip Tie method and a proper full procedure that includes locking the cam. Similar procedure but if Zip Tie method goes wrong you will be forced to do the full procedure.
So, i removed the camshaft entirely, i want to replace headgasket since im suspicious of it but eventually i think I'll cancel all this since i really cannot take the CAT's flange nut so i can remove the head, so now i wanted to align crank first and then the cams and assemble everything back, if no I'll take it to some shop, but i really wanna save money.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:52 AM

So, i removed the camshaft entirely, i want to replace headgasket since im suspicious of it but eventually i think I'll cancel all this since i really cannot take the CAT's flange nut so i can remove the head, so now i wanted to align crank first and then the cams and assemble everything back, if no I'll take it to some shop, but i really wanna save money.
You have both heads apart of just one side? There are markers on the chain that need to align at the VVT marks and marks on the timing chain fixed guides. Timing must be done on both sides Bank 1 and 2, as the chain yellow marks are useless once the engine rotates for the first time. This is only after the crank is locked and cams are locked with the proper tools in the proper orientation. You cant do the job without the specific tools, what tools do you have right now?

I'm not sure if the heads can come out without lifting the engine out of the bay, either down dropping the Kmember or upwards, I never tried, so Id be curious if the XJ large engine bay allows it, Are you stuck at the header hardware or at the cats? I see people replace cats without crazy procedures.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:07 AM

You have both heads apart of just one side? There are markers on the chain that need to align at the VVT marks and marks on the timing chain fixed guides. Timing must be done on both sides Bank 1 and 2, as the chain yellow marks are useless once the engine rotates for the first time. This is only after the crank is locked and cams are locked with the proper tools in the proper orientation. You cant do the job without the specific tools, what tools do you have right now?

I'm not sure if the heads can come out without lifting the engine out of the bay, either down dropping the Kmember or upwards, I never tried, so Id be curious if the XJ large engine bay allows it, Are you stuck at the header hardware or at the cats? I see people replace cats without crazy procedures.
so, i wanted to remove both heads so i can inspect the headgasket and also if pistons hit valves or something if block is cracked.

this car was a clean title from salvage auction, it was in a small accident, and then last owner tried to do timing job but they did it bad or cancel idk exactly what happened.

when i finally started the engine, it was running rough, at idle it barely run and then quickly die.

at high speeds it was running much better.

i pulled codes and i had, p0341, p0017, p0018 and p0019 all crank and cam position sensors.

so, i took everything down, to inspect. and i rotated the engine clockwise untill one of the white mark from chain aligned with chain guide line.

on the other bank the white mark was off like 1 tooth, and on cams the yellow ones were off several teeth so they didn't match any mark on vvt gears on both banks intake and exhaust.

​​​​​

Old 06-28-2020, 01:09 AM

also, i wanted to remove the whole head on both bank because i think i also have bad headgasket and to really see if the pistons hit anything, but that's most probably not the case, because i was running at about 65mph so nothing hit nothing but wanted to check anyway.

but I'm stuck, because i really don't have any space to remove the upper nuts fron the CAT flange on both banks, so without those out i cannot take the head out, and also on one side i have the steering pump and those bolts are also next to impossible to remove, so i cancel in removing the head

Last edited by Gabriel Kat; 06-28-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 AM

so, i wanted to remove both heads so i can inspect the headgasket and also if pistons hit valves or something if block is cracked.

this car was a clean title from salvage auction, it was in a small accident, and then last owner tried to do timing job but they did it bad or cancel idk exactly what happened.

when i finally started the engine, it was running rough, at idle it barely run and then quickly die.

at high speeds it was running much better.

i pulled codes and i had, p0341, p0017, p0018 and p0019 all crank and cam position sensors.

so, i took everything down, to inspect. and i rotated the engine clockwise untill one of the white mark from chain aligned with chain guide line.

on the other bank the white mark was off like 1 tooth, and on cams the yellow ones were off several teeth so they didn't match any mark on vvt gears on both banks intake and exhaust.

​​​​​
I think you are doing it the blind way, you need to do a leak down test to confirm your fears of bent valves sometimes this will also confirm failed head gaskets. Harbor Freight is your friend and only takes about 20psi to tell if something is wrong.

Last you can’t do the timing without the cam tools and the small key tool, there is no way of eyeing things. Your attempt to line marks up is futile because the engine cranked once and the marks go about their business don’t line back up for an infinite amount of revolutions, you are burning energy and time trust me!!! eBay is your friend $50 bucks for the kit in the blue case, minus the 2013+ crank tool that is $15. And about 3 weeks shipping from China. You will only use the cam tools and the crank key lock and maybe the cam turning tool round thingie. All others don’t work or not needed. I’m all for saving money but the tools are a must, no other way.

Last edited by ricardoa1; 06-28-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 AM

I think you are doing it the blind way, you need to do a leak down test to confirm your fears of bent valves sometimes this will also confirm failed head gaskets. Harbor Freight is your friend and only takes about 20psi to tell if something is wrong.

Last you can’t do the timing without the cam tools and the small key tool, there is no way of eyeing things. Your attempt to line marks up if futile because the engine cranked once and the marks go about their business don’t line back up for an infinite amount of revolutions, you are burning energy and time. eBay is your friend $50 bucks for the kit in the blue case, minus the 2013+ crank tool that is $15. And about 3 weeks shipping from China. You will only use the cam tools and the crank key lock and maybe the cam turning tool round thingie. All others don’t work or not needed.

yes, im doing it completely blind.

so, my theory is since i ran at 65mph there's no way pistons hit valves, but my timing was off (at least i think) as mentioned above with the markings, idk how it's very weird.

so i i started to disassemble the engine without draining oil and coolant, and took out intake, fuel rails, injectors, valve covers, etc.
then when i rotated engine by hand one cylinder started to pump out clean coolant till all that particular burning chamber was empty of coolant, so i was thinking that there's no other way for that much coolant to go into the piston area since the injector was inside for that purpose to not allow anything in. and i thought only by headgasket or cracked block.

also i had coolant in oil pan but that's because of the oil cooler gasket

Old 06-28-2020, 01:56 AM

yes, im doing it completely blind.

so, my theory is since i ran at 65mph there's no way pistons hit valves, but my timing was off (at least i think) as mentioned above with the markings, idk how it's very weird.

so i i started to disassemble the engine without draining oil and coolant, and took out intake, fuel rails, injectors, valve covers, etc.
then when i rotated engine by hand one cylinder started to pump out clean coolant till all that particular burning chamber was empty of coolant, so i was thinking that there's no other way for that much coolant to go into the piston area since the injector was inside for that purpose to not allow anything in. and i thought only by headgasket or cracked block.

also i had coolant in oil pan but that's because of the oil cooler gasket
Car would have hydro locked or bent a rod with lots of coolant, I bet the coolant fell into the intake runner when you were taking things apart. Maybe the Intercooler.

Blown head gasket would do one of three things in most cases. White exhaust, bubbles in the coolant reservoir or over pressure of it and last you will get chocolate milkshake in the oil from coolant mixing with oil.

But eliminate all that and check the health of the engine with the leak tester. Cams out will be far easier to do the test since all valves are closed. Once comfortable with the health of the engine it’s timing time. Grab a CC and pay 15 bucks to get a topix subscription hour so you can look at the manual for your year car. Take screen shots of the pages so you have them handy later. Don’t assume, take a step back and do things correctly and you will have success.