XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

SOS system limited functionality & Charging Main battery (MY16)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 03:21 PM
zYx
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question SOS system limited functionality & Charging Main battery (MY16)

Hello everyone!

My 2016 XJ was in a Jaguar garage for over a month with BCM and GWM being replaced due to "issues". The car has been returned to me yesterday but with an SOS system limited functionality warning. The "master technician" said it will rectify itself after a few days of driving. Will it though? I don't actually drive much atm so my next question is, can I charge the main battery whilst connected to the vehicle? According to the manual I have to take the battery out (or disconnect it) which means resetting everything. I have a professional battery charger/maintainer/supply. I understand I should not connect the charger directly to the battery's negative terminal.

I did not read the trouble codes yet, hoping that the SOS will indeed rectify itself but perhaps not if I don't drive enough, hence why I'm wondering if charging the battery whilst connected to the vehicle (if allowed?) will "fix" the issue? It's only been a day since I got the car back, but I could see on my phone that the car was either inside their workshop or parked outside.
Also, can I charge the battery via the jump-start terminals under the bonnet at all?

Additionally, my InControl subscription expired on 28th Feb and I only renewed it a day later on 1st March. Could this be related to the SOS system issue?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Last edited by zYx; 03-02-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added InControl info
Old 03-03-2021, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad to see you got it back. The SOS could be linked to the InControl subscription expiring - it can take a few days for everything to sync back up again. (It is usually the JLR end that has the delay.) If it has not resolved in a week then I'd be getting back to them, but otherwise just wait it out. The only reason for driving it is because the telematics go to sleep after 3 days of inactivity so need waking up so they can check in with JLR.

You can charge/condition the battery in situ. I have a C-TEK quick connect panel permanently mounted in the rear trims of all my cars. On my XJ the cables are bolted to the M6 accessory stud on the +ve battery terminal and the -ve bolted to the body ground stud just to the right of the battery nearest to the rear of the car. If you are using temporary clamp on leads you can connect across the +ve terminal and then the flat crimped part on the -ve battery lead about central top the right of the battery. (That's also where I connect the supply when programming.)

The following users liked this post:
zYx (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM
zYx

Thanks, Dave. I will plug my laptop into the car on Friday to see what's going on and what the Jag experts did to it...

Old 03-05-2021, 12:23 PM
zYx

Hi Dave,

The warning was gone yesterday and reappeared again today so after plugging my laptop into the car I found these two DTCs. They were recorded before the car was repaired. I did run a few tests in SDD, to check the telematics battery and whether it's connected to a network and all was good. Any ideas what this means?

Last edited by zYx; 03-05-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

B1A01-12 on the TCU
Speaker #1 - Circuit short to ground or open
Telematics speaker circuit short circuit to ground, open circuit, high resistance
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the telematics speaker circuit for short circuit to ground, open circuit, high resistance
There is only the one speaker for the telematics module, which is located in the roof console.

The simplest answer is that the speaker is unplugged. There are only three connectors in that circuit, and two of them are shared with many other functions so I'd start by dropping the roof console and checking C9MT13 is connected. The roof console is easy to remove and requires no tools. See the picture below.

If it is you can expose the telematics module behind the rear LH seat back and check the resistance along both speaker wires. If all looks ok, suspect the speaker before the TCU.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C9MT13 Speaker-Telematics.pdf (104.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: pdf
491-05 Telematics V93549 RHD.pdf (293.2 KB, 173 views)
The following users liked this post:
zYx (03-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:48 AM
zYx

Thanks, Dave, I love the docs you shared.

I have been fiddling with the overhead panel in the past trying to stop the rattling noise. I once forgot to plug the microphone is and SDD told me it was the microphone. It was an easy fix and I had to remove the panel several times to finally get rid of the rattling. It was the black buttons.

Anyway, the speaker was plugged in so the next thing I did was to check the TCU connector C2Mt01A since I know the master tech was in that area when repairing my car. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back it and voila, no more warning message on the screen. (For now anyway).