XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 03:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lolshto
It seems that you have the same problem as I do.
Do you have the diesel engine?
What kind of sounds are those? For instance, I had them only between 1500 and 1750 rpm and very annoying at cold starts. Whenever the engines gets warmer they become much quieter ( still noticeable though ).
Also, they are heard only when car is moving.

I had the dashboard completely disassembled along with plastic cover where windshield wipers are to no avail. It took 2 entire days to to the job. But they never found the problem and it's still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it and no one really does either. Official dealership cannot do anything with it.

You can listen to the sounds I recorded here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3O...zvuujJvwIMAHWU

And as you can see the dashboard was completely disassembled, but unfortunately that didn't help -

I had that sound in mine

underneath the car, there is a metal plate ( heat protection ) to protect the heat from the exhaust , that fall on the exhaust, easy fix
When the car is cold, there is more vibration, so much more noticeable, and it is warm it is a bit less but you still listen

The following 2 users liked this post by Geoffrey Fake:
lotusespritse (10-19-2023), QP7 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Got mine replaced today! did the trick, total cost was $1100.00 $500 in parts and 4 hr of labor at $149/hr. NO MORE SQUEEKS and it actually does ride better. It happens that these wear out and you notice them when the wheels turn. The CRAPPY FOAM inserts wear down over time........Dang JAG designers.....

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (02-15-2024)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark

I could've sworn it was in the dash, but it wasn't.
I hope this helps some that are looking for that annoying squeak & chirp.
Lesson learned. I replaced the top mount and yellow isolator and lightly added some rubber grease. 2 years later I had the dash apart looking for a creak which turned out to be the top mount as the rubber grease had gone gooey and sticky.

I unknowingly did the same with the ARB bushes which creaked badly until I cleaned the red rubber grease off them and quickly threw the grease in the bin.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark;[url=tel:2018652
2018652[/url]]Ya know- - -
I ran into the same thing about 4 months ago.
It started out as a light chirping and squeaking, two independent but associated sounds that seemed to be coming from under the dash. In this case, the drivers side (the side will make sense in a minute).
I pulled the under-cover of the dash a couple of times & contorted with head-down in the foot well, could find nothing.
At first we thought it was a squeak that we get where the door meets the dash, that produces a slight squeak sometimes.
(come to think of it I don't hear that since we found the problem we're talking about...)
But anyway, I then started approaching the dash from under the hood, to see if I could get into it from the engine bay.
I was able to manually bounce the front drivers corner and reproduce the squeak after it got bad enough.
Then when my wife was in the garage with me & I was bouncing it, hearing the squeak/squeal, my wife's keen eyes noticed the top of the shock moving around in the shock tower/mount.
Apparently, the foam isolator material in the upper shock mount and upper bearing deteriorate after a few years.
When this happens, the top shaft of the shock rubs other metal parts, and produces the squeak & chirp that we'd been hearing.
I ordered the parts from the online Jag dealership that I get most original Jag parts from.
I took them to a local independent Jag mechanic, and after $180 (I think) of labor, the new front left upper shock mount, bearing and spacer were installed and no more squeaks or chirping.
I think the ride is a little better too.
I'll buy the same parts for the passenger side & schedule installation in a week or two, since although there's no noise yet, we can see the top of shock shaft move around in the foam filling of the top mount.
If you look at the top of the shock mount and "bounce" the front of the car, you'll see the top of the shock shaft/rod dance around in a worn shock mount Jag part # C2D51875) & top bearing (Jag part #C2D16903), and maybe hear it squeak. If so, maybe spray it with a little silicone spray, and the squeak will go away briefly.

Worn out passenger side
You can see that the top of the shock (where the connector is on the Servotronic shock) isn't centered.

newly replaced drivers side
same problem changed strut mounts and chirping went away

Ken Dreger (11-28-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:49 AM

My next job when the weather improves is to change both front top rubber spring seats and isolators. I am fitting them dry this time!!
The reason is because I greased them which caused the creak, now they produce a chirp when the springs are compressed going over speed humps. They dont chirp in hard mode if the CATS plug is removed!!

Last edited by Neville Hobbs; 03-09-2023 at 02:59 AM.
Ken Dreger (11-28-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had exactly the same fault, then just before the mechanics attempted to pull the dash out, I lifted the bonnet and pushed down on the suspension and that was the same noise. They replaced the seals on the springs and job done.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_moulden:
Ken Dreger (11-28-2023), lotusespritse (10-19-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Now that little bit of work opening the hood saved you a HUGE amount of money!
An easy fix too.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_moulden
They replaced the seals on the springs and job done.
Seals? Do you mean the rubber isolators?

Old 10-19-2023, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking/chirping noise in dash Solved

We have a 2015 XJL, and a chirping/Sneaky noise started about 6months ago. After many months of trying to figure it out our mechanic suggested we replace the front end strut assembly on both sides AND IT WORKED! It was very hard locating the strut assembly but we found them on Ebay from a California supplier. I'm posting this to hopefully help someone else because We were going to trade it in due to being so frustrated. We love tge car and she's a beauty I'm very glad we resolved this issue!

Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 AM
Default Squeak.

Originally Posted by LeeLee352
We have a 2015 XJL, and a chirping/Sneaky noise started about 6months ago. After many months of trying to figure it out our mechanic suggested we replace the front end strut assembly on both sides AND IT WORKED! It was very hard locating the strut assembly but we found them on Ebay from a California supplier. I'm posting this to hopefully help someone else because We were going to trade it in due to being so frustrated. We love tge car and she's a beauty I'm very glad we resolved this issue!
can you name the individual parts that were changed?
shock absorber, top mount, spring? All of those?

12jagmark (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeLee352
...replace the front end strut assembly on both sides AND IT WORKED! !
Well, yes; when the strut assembly is replaced, so is the isolator that was identified in most of the preceding posts. So when the shock (aka strut) and all associated parts that get replaced with it are replaced including the one that the noise comes from, it does stop.
And yes, I would bet that the shock mount (isolator) was replaced when the shock was - if not, I wouldn't use that mechanic again.

Ken Dreger (11-28-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I think too much was replaced as this noise is from the top strut mounts. But nothing wrong with a new pair of front struts either!
Did you get the front end checked after the strut replacement?
With just replacing the top mounts nothing is disturbed so no need to check alignment.

I have done this and it was a surprisingly easy repair! Had a struggle to remove the strut assembly so plan on using a 6' pry bar to push the lower suspension arms down far enough so you can get the strut assembly out. Going back in is really a two man job because the mounting holes are up in a hole so when the strut is in there you can't see which way to rotate it so it goes in the mounting holes.

The other bit of work is the spring must be compressed to remove and replace the mount. It is somewhat awkward to to this on the bench. I have a strut spring compressor. But there are different ways to get this done.
You WILL struggle mightily if doing this one man!

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-20-2023 at 09:41 AM.
QP7 (02-15-2024)
Old 10-20-2023, 11:13 AM

Release the anti roll bar to make it a lot easier!

QP7 (02-15-2024)
Old 10-20-2023, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

That would be a great suggestion and one I did NOT think of!
I am a bit lazy to so the less I take off the less I have to put back on.