XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Stalls when Hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls when Hot

Hi everyone, lets me first say thank you for all your help. As of right now my daily driver is a 1985 Jaguar xj6 Vanden Plas. For a long time now it has been stalling when i get to a stop light or intersection. This only happens when it gets up to temp.
I have already replaced the filters, coil, ignition switch, spark plugs, cleaned injectors, cleaned MAF, replaced TPS, and replaced o2 sensor.

Would you know if the idle air control valve would have anything to do with this.
But i am completely lost and any information would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First you should probably move this posting to the correct forum - there should be a forum for the classic xj series; you'll probably get more help than on this page.

Secondly, given the number of things you've tried (& they've not been successful) I'd suggest you get yourself a code scanner or take it to Advance Auto. Most auto stores will pull codes for free and I believe the '85 xj should still have an OBDI port (these don't have the same breadth of info as OBDI 2 ) but you should still get some info.

In general if it dies like you describe, it's got the wrong mixture of fuel to air; either too lean or rich. And the OBDI should hopefully throw off a code to let you know which part of the ignition cycle is failing.

Your 02 sensor which is an expensive parts repair probably wasn't needed.

I only mention this to save your additional cost, not to rub your nose in it. Spend some time/money getting it diagnosed and save yourself the pain of continued stalling and uneccessary time under the hood/car. I prefer to spend time above the car & on the road ;-)

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol i realized i posted it in the wrong place, i reposted it in the right place.
But since it is such an older car i can not be hooked up at a advance auto parts or auto zone or any places like that. If it could i would have done that long ago. FYI the o2 sensor cost round 15 bucks.