XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Steering wheel change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 04:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel change

Going to change the steering wheel soon for heated one, got the workshop info, just wondering if anyone got any tips, not using Jag tool i will improvise and any tips on clock spring or should that be ok.

Cheers Andy

Old 10-25-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I've replaced loads. You won't touch the clock spring, the new slip ring will come with the replacement wheel, but an airbag release tool is needed. A mirror will help. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007XUINJK is one I use, but they are expensive. You can easily make your own by bending an old flat head screwdriver (approx. 5mm wide).

Safety first - you will be handling a live airbag. Wear eye protection and pay attention to step 4.

1) Car on level ground, ignition but engine off and transmission in park, driver door left open. (That way the airbags will not be triggered.)
2) Rotate the wheel 90 degrees till one side is top, and use a T20/25 (I forget which) to remove the screw holding the gear change paddle in place. It then pulls off, and unplugs. Release the airbag retaining clip on that side by placing the flat blade of the tool between the wire/clip and the centre of the wheel in the little slot (you may need to press it in) then rotate it and gently pull the airbag edge towards you until it just releases.
3) Rotate the wheel the other way 180 degrees and repeat. Return the wheel to the straight ahead position.
4) Ignition off, then disconnect the vehicle battery and leave it for 2 minutes before proceeding.
5) Standing outside the car, lean in through the door and lift the airbag out. It will have two yellow connectors which are easily released from the side. Depending on the MY of your car you may have a small white connector to remove as well for the horn contacts. Once removed, immediately place the airbag somewhere where it cannot cause injury should it detonate. It is incredibly unlikely to, but don't take any risks. I usually place it under the car behind the rear wheel.
6) Remove the big bolt in the middle. I think it is 21mm or close. Unclip the two black connectors near the bottom of the wheel.
7) Use a pen to make the position of the old steering wheel on the steering column splines, then pull the old wheel off.

Installation is a reversal of the above, being careful to align the new wheel on the splines correctly, with the following note:
When you come to reinstall the airbag, just before you press it back in so the clips engage rear in through the top with your fingers and make sure the cables that provide those two yellow plugs (will be wrapped in polypropylene mesh) are pressed into the foam cutout inside the wheel. That is to make sure they don't get pinched/cut by the horn. You'll easily see where they should go - there is a clear cutout for them where they go down and then up again in a U shape.

It is worth noting that there are two designs of steering wheel fitted to the X351. Cars prior to 2015MY will have existing part numbers starting AW93 and the horn wiring is different. Later cars have parts starting FW93 and use the white connector on the airbag module. If your replacement is the wrong type, you can swap the wiring over.

Also note that the radio control (left hand) and cruise control (right hand) switches are internally different at that same year break and are not compatible, so if yours are different you can swap them over. If you fit the wrong switches, when you press the horn after reassembly you will get a deflated horn chirp that just tapers out to nothing, and then won't repeat. Your radio control switches will also not light up.

The following 4 users liked this post by xdave:
Andycots (10-25-2020), kroache (12-05-2020), Panthro (06-03-2024), XJsss (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much Dave, much appreciated.