XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Steering wheel controls don't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel controls don't work

The buttons on my right side steering wheel don't work at all.
I've removed the airbag and inspected the connector and it looks fine.
Ive also removed the steering column cover and it looks visually fine. All connectors connected.
Next I am contemplating removing the air bag and using voltmeter to make sure switch is good.
Has anyone run into this problem before?
Steering wheel is pretty standard wood with leather and heated.
Audio controls, and phone controls work fine.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Ttokstad, looking at the diagrams, odds are, your problem is internal to the switch pack module. The diagrams say that each of the switch gorups (there are 2, left side steering wheel, right side steering wheel) You then have 2 more legs that are the individual LEDs for each of the switches. You don't mention the switches not being lit up. Either way, the switch lighting is on a different power source coming out of the switch pack. So, odds are, you will need to change out the small module inside the steering wheel to restore what you are after. The only other potential is that you have a broken wire between the module and the switch assembly. The only way that you can figure that out is to get yourself a power tracer and then separate out the power wire and run the probe along the power wire. Granted, 12V is hard to check for, so, the accuracy of this is hard to say.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Ttokstad, looking at the diagrams, odds are, your problem is internal to the switch pack module. The diagrams say that each of the switch gorups (there are 2, left side steering wheel, right side steering wheel) You then have 2 more legs that are the individual LEDs for each of the switches. You don't mention the switches not being lit up. Either way, the switch lighting is on a different power source coming out of the switch pack. So, odds are, you will need to change out the small module inside the steering wheel to restore what you are after. The only other potential is that you have a broken wire between the module and the switch assembly. The only way that you can figure that out is to get yourself a power tracer and then separate out the power wire and run the probe along the power wire. Granted, 12V is hard to check for, so, the accuracy of this is hard to say.
The LED's are lit. I will dissassemble the steering wheel again and try to get into the switch. It is getting power but maybe the connector exiting the switch is loose? I will also look for broken wires and hope for something obvious before I check for continuity. Thank you for the help

Old 02-03-2020, 07:32 AM
Received 494 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a similar problem occasionally with radio controls on the left side of the wheel. It hasn't been consistent enough for me to do something about it but if they stop working my plan was to simply buy a new switch (or used if they are spendy)

Old 02-08-2020, 01:08 PM

I fully disassembled the switch and the buttons "click" fine. The harnesses are all secure. I also looked in the column to looks for anything visually obvious like loos harnesses or broken wires. LED's light up on switch. I will look for and replace the pack that you mentioned and see if that helps.