XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Steering wheel controls not working with lights on

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Steering wheel controls not working with lights on

When I turn my headlights on any setting for some reason I have an electrical gremlin that seems to disable my volume/skip track controls as well as my handfree buttons on the left of the steering wheel. All the ones on the right still work and so does the heated wheel on the left. Also on occassion I get a faint buzzing noise through the small "beep" speaker located behind the indicator stalk when this happens.
Any-one heard of this before?

Old 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Do you mean the speaker that is behind (near the top) of the instrument cluster buzzes? There is no speaker inside the steering column so if you are hearing a noise from there it is electrical. Is the buzzing when a volume/skip/mode button is pressed and does not do anything, or does the buzzing occur when the lights are turned on.

If the latter, does it happen independently of using the buttons as long as the lights are on?

Does the blue backlighting on the left hand buttons come on with the rest of the interior lighting when the lights are turned on? If so, does it flicker?

Does the left hand paddle switch work? If so, even with the lights on?

The indicator/lamp stalk is entirely indpendant to the steering wheel controls, however it does control when the backlighting is active and it sounds like that may be the link. The switches each reference a known resistance to ground (resistor ladder) so if there is noise or a fault there it could be throwing them all off hence them appearing to be inoperative. Assuming no trapped wires inside the wheel you may need a new switch. For your VIN the part is C2D4718 @ £140. All parts prior to the 2016 model superceed to the same part so eBay or a breaker could get you one cheaper if you are paying for it yourself.

Attached Files
Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

There is a small speaker in the steering column for the turn signal "click" noise when the turn signal is activated.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

The upper steering column is essentially the same fitted to the X350 model (most of the parts are stamped with 2W93 engineering numbers). I had mine out last weekend and there is no speaker in there. The indicator "ticking" is generated by the instrument cluster speaker. The CJB controls the indicator lamps and determines whether the instrument cluster green arrow and the ticking sound is normal speed or faster if a bulb is out. It may sound like it is coming from the steering column, but it is actually mounted to the top/rear of the instrument cluster. If you get low enough and look closely you can see the speaker grille in the surrounding plastic.

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel controls not working with lights on-icspeaker.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
XJsss (09-14-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
Do you mean the speaker that is behind (near the top) of the instrument cluster buzzes? There is no speaker inside the steering column so if you are hearing a noise from there it is electrical. Is the buzzing when a volume/skip/mode button is pressed and does not do anything, or does the buzzing occur when the lights are turned on.

If the latter, does it happen independently of using the buttons as long as the lights are on?

The speaker is actually on the dash itself dead opposite the back on the indicator stalk, you can't see the speaker just a grill hole made in the dash. It buzzes only when the lights are on but not every time.

Does the blue backlighting on the left hand buttons come on with the rest of the interior lighting when the lights are turned on? If so, does it flicker?

Back lighting all fine and turns on and off as it should.
Does the left hand paddle switch work? If so, even with the lights on?

Yup that works as well

The indicator/lamp stalk is entirely indpendant to the steering wheel controls, however it does control when the backlighting is active and it sounds like that may be the link. The switches each reference a known resistance to ground (resistor ladder) so if there is noise or a fault there it could be throwing them all off hence them appearing to be inoperative. Assuming no trapped wires inside the wheel you may need a new switch. For your VIN the part is C2D4718 @ £140. All parts prior to the 2016 model super seed to the same part so eBay or a breaker could get you one cheaper if you are paying for it yourself.
Been playing around with it this morning, something seems loose, it was dark when I went out so naturally wasn't working, after being in the car 30 mins it started working on it's own (lights on), if I turn the lights on and off a couple of times I can get it to work even with the lights on. Think like you say it is something to do with the light switch on the indicator stalk.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Does your stalk have any forward/back play (as if flashing the main beam)? The stalk has been used on most JLR vehicles since the X250 launch and there is a known fault where the mean beam latch wears and causes intermittant shorts across all models that use them. It is possible something similar may be happening with yours. Can you get the main beam to come on, or the headlamps to flicker, just by gently moving the stalk around?

I've got a good spare stalk if you want to test a replacement? It is easy to replace - you pop off the steering column cover and it just clips out. Five minute job.

L80ous (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Such an annoying fault, just popped outside to test the flickering for you now I can't get it to play up at all works fine. It does have the backwards and forward movement for highbeam which is the first thing I moved just now so I'm guessing your right it's something to do with the stalk as that seemed to cure it on this occassion even after further flashes and on off of the main beam. No flickering at all.

It's either that or the fact I have an second hand amp out of an XF which I found out today the garage have installed to try and bodge the orginal no sound problem. I played hell and it's now having a new one fitted at the Jaguar garage as they said they would do in the first place. Doubt this has an effect of steering controls though?

Old 09-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Unlikely to affect the steering wheel controls, but very likely to be why your subs didn't work. The offer of the stalk is still there if it comes back. Often the first sign (at least on mine) has been that the resistance to pulling the stalk towards you for the flash activation has been very 'soft' which makes it easy to flash the lights up by accident when indicating. There should be no play in the stalk at all - it should be a 'hard' resistance straight away. If yours is soft the stalk is on its way out.

lcmjaguar (09-15-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 AM

Stalk feels nice and fixed into place deffo not soft, I have since found out this morning the paddle shift down doesn't work and neither to the hands free options at any point, the volume and skip now seems to be working fine.
I have told the garage and they'll look at it Monday, may take you up on your offer after that.
But not the indicator stalk if it's the paddle shift as well?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidelights or dipped beam stops lhs steering wheel controls

Originally Posted by L80ous
When I turn my headlights on any setting for some reason I have an electrical gremlin that seems to disable my volume/skip track controls as well as my handfree buttons on the left of the steering wheel. All the ones on the right still work and so does the heated wheel on the left. Also on occassion I get a faint buzzing noise through the small "beep" speaker located behind the indicator stalk when this happens.
Any-one heard of this before?

Hi all, I have a 2010 XJ, when I turn the sidelights or dipped beam on, the volume, change track, mode, voice control and telephone steering wheel mounted controls (left hand side) stop working (the green phone button however does turn the volume down and the heated steering wheel button works as normal).

All ok with the lights off or set to auto.

i would love to know what the fix is! Would a new indicator stalk do it? A new steering wheel? Or wiring loom etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Julian

Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

If everything works properly with the switch set to AUTO, why not simply leave it set there and save your money?

If it ain't broke, why fix it?