XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Stepping up from X358 to current model XJ, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stepping up from X358 to current model XJ, looking for opinions

Hi all, I'm currently trying to sell my 2008 XJ8 and looking to buy a newer model year. I've tried for hours to search this forum for opinions on different year models and engine choices without much luck. I've pretty much decided on 2013 to 2015 XJL models but wanted opinions on the V8 vs V6, and RWD vs AWD and any other differences that you might think is important.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Something you may want to consider is getting the rear seat convienence group. This has the trays in the back of the front seats and a few other niceties for those that ride in the rear. IN the years that you are looking at, you are really only going to find this in the higher end trim levels (ie, supersport, premium, etc). If you don't have people back there a lot, may not be something to consider. Kinda like if you have someone back there a lot, having the entertainment package with the monitor and controls may be something worthwhile.

As for the V8 vs V6, I am a longevity kind of person. While I am not doubting the capabilities of the V6, you are pushing that engine a lot harder than what the V8 would experience. This means that the V6 will need to be rebuilt sooner for a comparably used V8.

As for RWD vs AWD, the question comes down to how much riding in the snow/adverse weather you plan on doing. Without doubt, in adverse conditions the AWD is going to outperform the RWD vehicle. If you like to autocross the vehicle, the AWD vehicle is going to be slightly better. Where the RWD vehicle is going to shine is in the mileage department and also you will have fewer things to break, so reliability will be better. Being that you are in NC, is loosing 1 mpg worth the added traction for the few days of ice/snow that you may get? That is something you need to consider. Also, you will most likely find that most cars are going to be V6 that are AWD. I can't recall seeing a V8 AWD vehicle. I know the V8 supercharged cars are not AWD (a little birdie told me this may be coming with the 2017 model)

Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good choice on getting into the X351! Best car I've ever owned. I'll give you my two cents.

I would expand your search to include the 2011-2012 models as well. I, too, thought about upgrading my 2011 to a '13 or newer, but a couple of things kept me from making the leap.

Number one was the steering. I am extremely leery of electronic (or drive-by-wire) steering and the '11s-'12s have a hydraulic setup; the '13+ XJs use an electric setup. Less feel, and what do you if you lose power while driving?

Second is the transmission. Now don't get me wrong, the ZF 8-speed in the '13+ is a GREAT transmission, but the 6-speed in my '11 feels more geared for power and has tall enough gearing to really take advantage of the Supercharged power. If you read through instrumented tests (C&D, MotorTrend, etc) they are able to pull off faster acceleration runs with the 6-speed transmission as opposed to the 8-speed. Granted, you won't feel a few tenths difference, and maybe acceleration times isn't what you're looking for.

Third was that the '11s and '12s don't have the Eco mode, or Stop/Start feature. I can't express how much I dislike stop/start systems; unnecessary starter wear, stalling, etc. If fuel economy is your thing, then go for it.

Fourth, most '11 and '12 models have tray tables standard!

However, the '13+ do hold some advantages. The Meridian sound system is better, the infotainment system looks much nicer and operates more quickly (the '11 and '12 system is HORRENDOUS), the badging is a little different, and the interior door pulls are larger. AWD is a nice feature (I've driven it, it rocks) so figure out whether you want performance or economy and purchase accordingly. Also, there is no V8 AWD option, but a good set of snow-tires on a RWD car can give you equal results (I live in Michigan, ask me how I know!)

Engine choices and power options are a little different as well. '11s and '12s are V8 only and have power of 385hp (naturally aspirated), 470hp (Supercharged), or 510hp (supercharged SuperSport). The '13+ has V6 power of 340hp (supercharged), and V8 power of 470hp (Supercharged), as well as 550hp (supercharged XJR). I have the supercharged V8 in mine with the 470hp and it's extremely fast and gets gas mileage significantly higher than sticker. I usually average about 20mpg mixed while getting around 28mpg on the highway. Not sure how the V6 is in the economy department.

Good luck with the search!

The following users liked this post:
Xman (09-22-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the responses. The electronics was one of the reasons I was considering 2013 and up along with the roof popping issue. I'm more of a V8 kind of person and a little leery of the supercharged V6. Does anyone with the 3.0 have any issues with it?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

2013 has the updated audio, transmission, suspension and nav. It is the year that the V6 became the standard engine on the SWB XJ, the LWB was still V8 non SC engine. the SC V8 470hp (SWB & LWB), SuperSport (SWB & LWB) SC 510hp, and AWD was available with the V6. The US XJR became available in 1014. 2013 was the last year you had a great selection of interiors and veneers to customize your XJ.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i had a 2012 XJL (V8) and my father has a 2016 XJL (V6)

personally, I love the V8 more. it made the car that much more badass and sounded amazing. the V6 sounds kinda wimpy. I also personally like speed. you can definitely feel the power difference

good luck on your journey, this is going to be the best car you've ever owned

Old 09-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Something you may want to consider is getting the rear seat convienence group. This has the trays in the back of the front seats and a few other niceties for those that ride in the rear. IN the years that you are looking at, you are really only going to find this in the higher end trim levels (ie, supersport, premium, etc). If you don't have people back there a lot, may not be something to consider. Kinda like if you have someone back there a lot, having the entertainment package with the monitor and controls may be something worthwhile.

As for the V8 vs V6, I am a longevity kind of person. While I am not doubting the capabilities of the V6, you are pushing that engine a lot harder than what the V8 would experience. This means that the V6 will need to be rebuilt sooner for a comparably used V8.

As for RWD vs AWD, the question comes down to how much riding in the snow/adverse weather you plan on doing. Without doubt, in adverse conditions the AWD is going to outperform the RWD vehicle. If you like to autocross the vehicle, the AWD vehicle is going to be slightly better. Where the RWD vehicle is going to shine is in the mileage department and also you will have fewer things to break, so reliability will be better. Being that you are in NC, is loosing 1 mpg worth the added traction for the few days of ice/snow that you may get? That is something you need to consider. Also, you will most likely find that most cars are going to be V6 that are AWD. I can't recall seeing a V8 AWD vehicle. I know the V8 supercharged cars are not AWD (a little birdie told me this may be coming with the 2017 model)

I agree with all of the above, and this is why I'm REALLY POed at the jackass that plowed into out '12 XJ-L, totaling it out, in the process. Beyond the obvious cash it's costing us to replace the car with a '16, the '16 WON'T be a V-8, and will have the start/stop BS.....although I was able to find a RWDer. I wasn't aware of the electric, power steering, and it sounds like something else that I may not like.

I'm feeling more and more violated by the day.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

If your 2012 was totaled why not replace it with another 2012?

Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
If your 2012 was totaled why not replace it with another 2012?
Call me a pompous ***, if you will, but I generally feel that A) many people sell off a car because it's become troublesome; B) with the widespread advent of leasing, people don't maintain their cars anywhere near the level I do, because to them, in 3 years, it will be someone else's problem, and I don't want to be the one that buys that problem; C) I live in an area where there is widespread use of road salt in the winter, which wreaks havoc with a car's undercarriage and electrical system. My '12 was stored winters, why would I want to purchase one that might have been driven in winter? D) I had a car with 12,000 miles on it, that I specially ordered as a new car, exactly the way I wanted it. Where would I find another exactly like it?

Last edited by leadfoot4; 09-09-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Call me a pompous ***, if you will, but I generally feel that A) many people sell off a car because it's become troublesome; B) with the widespread advent of leasing, people don't maintain their cars anywhere near the level I do, because to them, in 3 years, it will be someone else's problem, and I don't want to be the one that buys that problem; C) I live in an area where there is widespread use of road salt in the winter, which wreaks havoc with a car's undercarriage and electrical system. My '12 was stored winters, why would I want to purchase one that might have been driven in winter? D) I had a car with 12,000 miles on it, that I specially ordered as a new car, exactly the way I wanted it. Where would I find another exactly like it?
Understood. It is certainly hard to know the history of a car

However there are some great and very well looked after cars out there. Couple of thoughts. Keep an eye on the forum - members here tend to be very protective of their cars, post regularly (so you know what they are up to and any problems). You could buy from outside the snow zone to avoid the salt issues. And you could have your dealer find the detailed history of a very well cared for car and help you navigate to one

So I totally understand where you're coming from. But do look at the used prices of 2012 / 2013 XJs and you will see there are some great deals out there...

Old 09-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

leadfoot4, you may not even need to look all that far. I know my car that I bought in Maryland had been registered to someone that appears to have had 2 houses (one here in Maryland, the other in Florida). So, I am pretty sure my kitty never saw snow till I dunked it myself. I gained that info from the carfax on the car and the dealer was "nice enough" to also leave the previous owners info in the car (warning to those selling their vehicles).

Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. Sold the 08 XJ8 today so the search is now on.

Last edited by 37driver; 09-12-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Having test driven the current XJ, I think you'll find the car is very different to your old X350. Personally, it is taking a long time for me to get used to the shape, although my local indie who service my car tell me they are very good cars, apart from the roof popping problem. The air suspension is only on the rear wheels, so less to go wrong.

Other thing daunting for a UK buyer is the sheer bulk of the car. I thought my X350 was a big car, until I saw the new XJ !

Old 09-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

They certainly are big cars to park, this is mine parked in Heathrow Car park !

Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

they are massive cars to park. ill never forget this one hotel i stayed at in Laval Montreal, you'd think the parking lot was designed for Mini's only!

finding street parking in the city is also a bit of a chore as well. i dont generally like large cars, but this one i am in LOVE with.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM

With the sensors and camera and patience you can get into tight spaces, I was pleased when I got into this one, and out, no bumping at all !!

Kodiak (09-14-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Lol, wow, respect mate...well done...it must have been a real PITA to park your car in that tight space without getting any curb rash! Yikes!!!

roviw (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Lol, wow, respect mate...well done...it must have been a real PITA to park your car in that tight space without getting any curb rash! Yikes!!!
It actually was more of a personal challenge haha, and also the nearest space to a "take away" I was picking up food from , I just hate walking further than needed !

Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree with all of the above, and this is why I'm REALLY POed at the jackass that plowed into out '12 XJ-L, totaling it out, in the process. Beyond the obvious cash it's costing us to replace the car with a '16, the '16 WON'T be a V-8, and will have the start/stop BS.....although I was able to find a RWDer. I wasn't aware of the electric, power steering, and it sounds like something else that I may not like.

I'm feeling more and more violated by the day.

Just an update, to the above post....

We picked up our '16 a few days ago, and have put a few miles on it. My initial impressions, if it has electric power steering, rather that hydraulic, it really isn't noticeable. That's a good thing. The start/stop nonsense can be disabled, but the "ECO off" light on the dash remains on.....kind of distracting. The only real difference in the driving dynamic, is the "low end grunt" of the V-8, compared to the V-6. We've only put 100 miles on the car, so far, so I'm not ready to "lean on it" quite yet, so I don't know how the performance on the expressways will be, but realistically, the V-6 is down 40 HP to the V-8, and I'm not sure if the V-6 is any lighter, so I don't see how the new car will be as quick, if that really will make a difference in normal driving.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

leadfoot4, the people that want the ECO mode disabled are wanting a means to disable it permanently vice having to hit the button each time they get into the vehicle.

As for ride and the power of the V6 vice the V8, how often were you flooring the V8 to get up to speed? If you are like me, that would be about never. So, odds are, getting on the expressway will not be any big deal. May have to give yourself just a little bit of extra time, but once you get used to it, you won't notice the difference.

Enjoy the new kitty. HOpefully it is everything that you wanted.

Quick Reply: Stepping up from X358 to current model XJ, looking for opinions