XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Stepping up from X358 to current model XJ, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! When I started shopping for mine, I test drove both six and eight cylinder models and didn't see any real appreciable difference. Then, as it happened, I ended up buying a Supercharged and there was a HUGE difference. Jaw dropping acceleration from a four-door sedan! On the other hand, other than a quick "let's see what it can do" moment in the first week, I've never needed, wanted, or tapped that power. As Thermo said, once you get used to it, you won't notice the difference. Enjoy!

Dwayne

Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
leadfoot4, the people that want the ECO mode disabled are wanting a means to disable it permanently vice having to hit the button each time they get into the vehicle.

As for ride and the power of the V6 vice the V8, how often were you flooring the V8 to get up to speed? If you are like me, that would be about never. So, odds are, getting on the expressway will not be any big deal. May have to give yourself just a little bit of extra time, but once you get used to it, you won't notice the difference.

Enjoy the new kitty. HOpefully it is everything that you wanted.

Originally Posted by dga57
Congratulations on the new car! When I started shopping for mine, I test drove both six and eight cylinder models and didn't see any real appreciable difference. Then, as it happened, I ended up buying a Supercharged and there was a HUGE difference. Jaw dropping acceleration from a four-door sedan! On the other hand, other than a quick "let's see what it can do" moment in the first week, I've never needed, wanted, or tapped that power. As Thermo said, once you get used to it, you won't notice the difference. Enjoy!

Dwayne
Thanks for the "well wishes", guys! The only thing that I really have noticed, so far, is that when pulling away from a dead stop, you have to feed the V-6 car a tad more throttle, than we did with the V-8. I'm assuming that this simply due to the difference of the two engines torque curves. My wife, the one time she's driven the car, so far, thought it actually "rolled back" a little, when she got off the brake, but before she hit the throttle. I haven't noticed it, as of yet, but since I use both feet to drive, even with an automatic transmission, I probably won't experience this.

I have to admit that yes, I hardly ever get to enjoy a "full throttle moment", like I used to, as the traffic density, and other driver's inattention level increases, but it's still nice to have a powerful engine under the hood. It's a holdover from my younger days, I guess, although I still have a Corvette in the garage, and my "winter beater" is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.............with a Hemi.

With respect to the "ECO nanny", although not readily known, or maybe even not supposed to be known, you CAN unplug the module for it, in the trunk of the car. A "little birdie" showed me how to do it. However, as I previously mentioned, this "side-step" leaves the "ECO off" indicator lamp illuminated all the time. Something than you have to get used to.

I almost forgot.....due to the paperwork conundrum of the old XJ getting totaled, for some reason, I just received a new DMV registration for it, yesterday, along with the DMV sticker for the new car, which was forwarded from the dealer. I looked at the vehicle weights for the two cars, and the '16 is listed at 300 pounds less. Maybe the HP difference won't be as noticeable.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Pics???

Old 09-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by L80ous
Pics???

Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats mate. Where did you end up getting your car in the end...from your regular dealership?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Can you give a detailed comparison of your 2016 compared to the 08 XJ8? What car do you like more and why?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Can you give a detailed comparison of your 2016 compared to the 08 XJ8? What car do you like more and why?
as a person that did this (had an 05 and then went to a 2012).......the 2012 is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better. its unfair to compare them because the current model makes the older one feel like crap

1) looks - current one looks better (subjective i know)
2) interior - fit and finish, materials, the current one is better. The previous gen (X350, X358) shared a lot of resemblance with a Lincoln Towncar. They were still using Fords parts bin at the time
3) current model, much more refined
4) technology - current model has more advanced tech. The previous gen had the WORST infotainment system, super slow, horrible visuals and a terrible navigation. Not to say that the current one is amazing, but its definitely better
5) current one had a better engine (up to 5.0L)
6) current model handled better, drove better, smoother

The previous gen car was trying super hard to hold on to its roots as well as keep the car looking as jags have always looked since the 60's. unfortunately the design can only go so far, i loved the way the X300's looked, the X350's looked like a puffed up version of that....and the X351's are just SEXY

Old 10-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
The previous gen car was trying super hard to hold on to its roots as well as keep the car looking as jags have always looked since the 60's. unfortunately the design can only go so far, i loved the way the X300's looked, the X350's looked like a puffed up version of that....and the X351's are just SEXY
Thanks for replying. The Porsche 911 is based on the same design that debuted in the 60's and no magazine reviewer ever complains. Same thing with the VW Beetle. I personally would like to see the XJ return to roots considering they have the XE and XF for the buyer that wants new edge styling. The return of the V12 engine would be nice too so it can compete again with the Mercedes S600 and Bentley Flying Spur. Speaking of which, if the discriminating Jaguar traditionalist wants a British interior that's exactly where he's forced to go, the Bentley showroom.