XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Stereo Head unit Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stereo Head unit Upgrade?

Has anyone been able to upgrade the head unit in there X351?

Old 03-19-2022, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Historical, upgrading the head unit is easier said than done in most modern cars, especially in the XJ. I say this because they have integrated other car functions into the radio. So, whatever radio you get will have to be able to take over these functions unless you do a lot of other modifications. Now, with that being said, there is 1 option that is out there. It is made by Canavie. It gives you a "Tesla style" large screen with all functions done via touch buttons. You can see some discussion about it here:

Tesla Style screen in XJ x351 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

As for any other radio that says "Fits a Jaguar XJ", I would be looking into it carefully. There is a lot of setup required for these systems as you are getting into the program level of things to be able to set functions up and make things work like they do now. To have a generic radio to install will mean a lot of time on your part figuring out the logic.

The following users liked this post:
Historical (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Historicallly, upgrading the head unit is easier said than done in most modern cars, especially in the XJ. I say this because they have integrated other car functions into the radio. So, whatever radio you get will have to be able to take over these functions unless you do a lot of other modifications.
Ain't THAT the truth!!!

I did my first "stereo upgrade" back in the late 70s, and it was a simple "plug and play" with the head unit, and the difficult part of the upgrade was installing the new additional speakers. Today, it's potentially an electronic nightmare, with SO many vehicle functions controlled through what we used to refer to as "the radio". For winter use, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I really would have liked to upgrade the HU on, but the climate controls, and worse yet, the air suspension settings, are controlled through the in-dash touch screen. I wimped out, and simply installed a better grade of speaker in it.......

Old 03-19-2022, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Leadfoot, there are options, it is a matter of what you want to do. If you are looking for new features and whatnot, then yes, a nightmare. If you are looking to simply get more power and maybe add a few speakers, then that is a much more manageable job. If you are wanting better sound, then let me know and I can give you an idea or two.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Thermo,
I will definitely check it out!!

Old 03-20-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Yes I did this several years ago and have a massive thread all about it.
Large Android Screen Update

The following users liked this post:
Historical (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Leadfoot, there are options, it is a matter of what you want to do. If you are looking for new features and whatnot, then yes, a nightmare. If you are looking to simply get more power and maybe add a few speakers, then that is a much more manageable job. If you are wanting better sound, then let me know and I can give you an idea or two.
Chris, I appreciate the offer. However, I have a Chrysler "Maxcare" lifetime warranty, and I don't want to do anything to the Jeep,, that might compromise it. Just the better speakers made a substantial difference, so I'm reasonable satisfied with the sound.