XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sticky buttons on console

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky buttons on console

I park my jag in a garage but I think the heat is starting to cause the buttons to become sticky to the touch. Is there a good way to remove this sticky residue without harming the color or damaging the buttons??

Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 184 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes. And there are threads about it on this very forum.

You could start with this one: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uttons-191734/

Old 08-25-2020, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sticky Buttons on Console

Hi , I live in Dubai and own a jaguar XJL model 2015. I had the same problem due to the hot weather here the console and all the dash buttons and door buttons became sticky . Since the Manufacture guarantee had expired the local dealer was asking for 1000 USD to remove the stickyness was asking for 4200 USD for replacement .I started to try different recomendations on different Jag forums like using goo gone and other products but nothing was working well and then I came across an angel lady on a forum who was a Jag owner and she tried her makeup removal wet wipes and they worked so I bought a pack of Neutrogena deep clean make up remover facial wipes for 10 USD and presto it worked like magic . By rubbing these buttons with the wet wipes all the hardened goo like material was removed and the buttons and switches became as good as new . Do note that there was a lot of goo like substance which had formed on these buttons due to the hot weather here . I think there is a manufacturing fault in the buttons material, not made to withstand hot weather . Any way try this and do post your feedback .

The following 3 users liked this post by JIBRAN:
cnick (03-20-2021), Randy Mounts (11-12-2020), ZacharyMDriscoll (07-02-2021)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

After getting denied on my CPO warranty for the sticky button issue I used the makeup wipes....it worked great! So far I am just doing one area at a time as they start to break down. For me, it was only the rotary volume control knob and the left steering wheel control pad. The rest are in good shape, probably because they are never used.

Amazon Amazon

Easy to use and they did not ruin the tampo printed white graphics.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (07-26-2021)
Old 09-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Yes I also used the makeup remover wipes. A bit of work but no damage and the buttons are so MUCH better afterwards too!

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Ken Dreger (07-26-2021), Sabrinaservicewriter (03-31-2022)
Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The fix

Eastwood automotive, they sell rubber restorer, works like a charm,the rubber hardens and isn't sticky anymore

Old 10-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking to replace some of my 2012 XJ X351 CD/Heater control panel buttons. Anyone know how easy is it just to replace individual buttons? Do you just prise individual ones off? If so anyone have any ideas of how best to do this? Can you buy the covers individually &, if so, anyone have the part numbers or parts diagram?

Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

No the entire switch has to be replaced. Several member's have gotten the sticky buttons replaced under warranty and it would have been very expensive just to purchase the parts. Then you need to add all the labor too.
Really much better to scrape the sticky residue off using one or more methods that have been posted.

You can find those posts with a search if interested.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I was lucky; all buttons were replaced on our 2013 with a partial cost to me. Jag stepped up and helped out. I was very happy with the arrangement and the outcome. While all car purchases are expensive, but just imagine if you'd spend a couple of hundred thou big ones on a Ferrari and they won't even talk to you about "sticky buttons". You bought it and now you own it. I don't know what the stuff is that they covered the buttons with originally, but I've had several different items that suffered the same "stickiness". For example, I had a 35 mm slide converter scanner, probably worth 50 or 60 bucks when I bought it, it was about 10 years old; when we moved recently, I found it in a drawer and went to pull it out of the box --- no luck. It was stuck in there because the whole unit was covered with this junk. Seems they used it for everything!

ZacharyMDriscoll (07-02-2021)
Old 10-24-2020, 11:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have read on some other forum that you can clean them very well with baby oil, hand oil or concentrated lemon juice.
Mines are not that sticky yet, but some day...

Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Imported from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietgiant [img]images/kirsch/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
Just my 2cents... DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY OF ANY DAMAGES.
That said: I have cleaned the sticky buttons on my Jag XJL using the Neurogena wipes with 100% success. The secret for a good final result is patience. The following worked for me using the Neurogena “as seen on YouTube”. [ I tried with an off brand and it was not as successful. ]
I found the following material helpful in this procedure:
  • A pack of Neutrogema wipes
  • Two microfiber cloths.
  • A few pieces of painters tape
  • A sheet of paper or paper toweL.
  • A NEW extra soft toothbrush.
  • A shop vac or portable hand held vacuum. (Very helpful but not required)
1. Drape the paper towel under the area you will be working on and tape in place. This is to collect any debris and making final cleanup a breeze.
2. Select one bank of dash buttons to work on. (if you are working on the steering wheel/column switches, pick one group at a time).
2. Wet and scrub the bank of buttons with a Neurogena wipe. Keep the surface damp throughout the procedure.
3. Over the course of a few minutes, run your fingernail back and forth along the ridge of each button until you find the glue start to release. Gently continue scraping your fingernail across the surface of the buttons and note the buildup of the surface coating start to collect as you scrape. Brush the collection of debris off the buttons and out if the crevices onto the paper towel. Continue scraping and re-damping the buttons as needed.
4. Once you are satisfied with the result, wipe the buttons with a damp microfiber cloth and dry with the other.
5. Use the toothbrush to pull debris from the gaps surrounding the buttons. You don’t want that coating falling behind your buttons. Vacuum as needed. If the results are acceptable, you’re done. If not repeat until you are..
6. Once 100% satisfied, spray a tiny amount of quick detail wax on a microfiber cloth and buff the buttons to a smooth finish.
NOTES:
a). There is no substitute for the effort needed to make it work. b). No stronger chemical will safely remove the sticky surface. c). Do NOT use alcohol, mineral sprits, thinners or a goo gone type product. d). A small piece of plastic can be used in place of fingernails.

I hope this is of help to some.
BTW: The sticky button issue is NOT a Jaguar only issue. Many high end Euro cars have the same issue. The answer to fixing the problem can be expensive and time consuming or just time consuming.

The following 3 users liked this post by Quietgiant:
Ken Dreger (07-26-2021), Sabrinaservicewriter (03-31-2022), XJsss (11-13-2020)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:26 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Gentlemen, I have begun to experience the long anticipated sticky button issue on my 2014 XJ. Quick question: Should I use the "Neutrogena makeup remover cleansing towelettes" or the "Neutrogena Deep Clean makeup remover cleansing wipes"? The deep clean phrase has me questioning it. There are different solvents listed in each. One thread referenced the deep clean while the You Tube video references the other.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

That's a good question and I used the regular wipes NOT the deep cleaning ones. Don't know if one is better than the other?

Old 07-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What I have read in other forums: Any baby oil (towels). And baby oils never are aggressive, that's for sure.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deep clean wipes

I used the Deep Clean version of the wipes. Worked. Takes some time though but really saturate the button with the solution in the wipe and keep wiping.

Originally Posted by Freddy J
Gentlemen, I have begun to experience the long anticipated sticky button issue on my 2014 XJ. Quick question: Should I use the "Neutrogena makeup remover cleansing towelettes" or the "Neutrogena Deep Clean makeup remover cleansing wipes"? The deep clean phrase has me questioning it. There are different solvents listed in each. One thread referenced the deep clean while the You Tube video references the other.

wombat (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

Sims,

Same. If I'm honest, I've used everything my wife had on hand.

wombat

Old 07-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Default Easy Solution

If you don't want to spend time on removing all the rubber coating, Eastwood Automotive has rubber conditioner, works great, on the rubber seals it softens and restores it, on the rubber coating on our Jags it seems to harden it, and the stickiness is a thing of the past. I've used it on both so I speak from personal experience. Oh, and it's really cheap, about ten dollars.
I posted this solution once before, but maybe not on this thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grizzley1:
Harrosito (07-07-2021), Ken Dreger (07-26-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 08:46 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Name of the conditioner poduct needed

Originally Posted by Grizzley1
If you don't want to spend time on removing all the rubber coating, Eastwood Automotive has rubber conditioner, works great, on the rubber seals it softens and restores it, on the rubber coating on our Jags it seems to harden it, and the stickiness is a thing of the past. I've used it on both so I speak from personal experience. Oh, and it's really cheap, about ten dollars.
I posted this solution once before, but maybe not on this thread.
I have not been able to locate the rubber conditioner you mentioned above. If you could provide the exact name or a link for the product, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:42 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Follow up on above: I have started to use the Neutrogena wipes. The "Neutrogena makeup remover cleansing towelettes" seem to work better than the "deep clean" version.
I am fortunate enough to live close to an Eastwood store. The Eastwood rubber restorer has been discontinued and is no longer available for those who might be trying to find it and use above Grizzley1 suggestion.

Ken Dreger (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by edobernig
I have not been able to locate the rubber conditioner you mentioned above. If you could provide the exact name or a link for the product, I would greatly appreciate it.
sure thing, it's called Eastwood vinyl and rubber conditioner, worked well for me, it seems to harden the soft stuff. Good luck
Grizzley1

Quick Reply: Sticky buttons on console