XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Summary of issues with 2013 XJs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Summary of issues with 2013 XJs

Hi all,

I pulled together a summary of issues experienced with the 2013 XJ models by looking a over 100 Car Fax reports for the 2013 model year. Many of these will probably pertain to the 2011, 2012 and more. I pulled off only the items that seemed to be an issue and ignored regular maintenance check items to keep the list focused on the real issues.

With this list, you could make a point to bring some of these items up to your Jaguar dealer if you are still under warranty and be proactive on a potential repair item. Dealers never tell you of potential problems, they only wait until you complain about something. The list is very detailed showing the car, vin, engine type, miles when issue was reported and the fix made. Please see the attached Word file in the next post.

Here is a summary of the main items from the list.
Common Issue Themes:
Water pump replacement ranges from 7K to 47K miles and occurs on many cars
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked - sometimes replaced
Heated oxygen sensor replaced
Airbag computer/module reprogrammed
Alignment performed
Heated seat repaired
Radio/sound system reprogrammed
Wheel speed sensor(s) replaced
Cup holder replaced - accordion slider breaks apart
Anti-theft/keyless remote(s) reprogrammed
Outside mirror replaced/repaired

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 08-27-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Here is the complete list. I put it into a Word file as it seems the system does not allow attached Excel files. The font is smaller so still readable.

Attached Files
Old 08-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth, based on my experience with my 2012. Alignment issues are common, ours was out of alignment, "right off the boat". And some of the early '12s, with the NA V-8 had RH bank exhaust camshaft issues, such as ours. The surface finish was "wavy", for lack of a better term, causing a "chirping" noise. According to the factory people, the hardness was OK, hence there wouldn't be any wear/performance issues, just that the car would sound like it had a bad serpentine belt.

EDIT........I forgot, until I read another post. I used to get the "low battery" message a LOT, it was even on display when we were picking up the car (brand new) and the salesman was explaining some of the controls to us, and the doors were open for a few minutes.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 08-27-2016 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (08-27-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The coolant crossover pipe fails frequently on the N/A 5.0 engines. The supercharged engines have a better designed pipe.

lcmjaguar (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar

The list is very detailed showing the car, vin, engine type, miles when issue was reported and the fix made. Please see the attached Word file in the next post.
Some dealers don't let companies like Carfax have access to the service information. I know, none of my service history shows up on Carfax or similar reports. I wish it would. I change my oil every 7500 miles along with other fluids- pwr steering fluid flushed, rear end oil flushed, transmission fluid serviced etc. I would want people to see that when I the car. Of course I can show them the receipts.

lcmjaguar (09-03-2016)