XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

SuperCharger whine from coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperCharger whine from coolant

Hi all,

Apologies for the new thread, and also for probably putting this in the wrong place... first time i have posted

So, i just picked up my 2011 XJ SuperSport which scares the **** out of me... Its savage in any mode and i love it too bits

I noticed that there was a whine coming from the engine shortly after starting. I had assumed it was just the supercharger initially as i have never owned one before but i am a reasonably accomplished mechanic and quickly realized that the noise is not the SC.

I ran it up to temperature by dumping a few gallons of fuel through the exhaust and then stopped, opened the bonnet and listened. On the left as i look at the SC there are two pipes which run down to the front of the engine somewhere. I now know these are coolant pipes and not air/breather pipes - new t-shirt required.

when i move the connectors about with the engine running i can make the whine very pronounced, which suggests to me there is air leaking. the other side of the SC is quiet which helps with my diagnosis....

So, my question is... given that the SC is at the top of the engine do i need to drain and bleed the whole cooling system to get a look at the seals on those pipes or can i get away with a liter or so? Also, does anyone suspect this will cause any damage in the short term?

Cheers,

Simon