XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Survey: Water Pump Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by QP7
Thanks - wow, you mean this stuff... - correct?
https://evanscoolant.com/products/hi...erless-coolant

Care to explain a bit more how it works, and how it protects? I read the site, but it was a bit minimal...
Yes, it's a godsend.

1) Your coolant system will run at close to 0psi, instead of the up to 30psi of the water based coolants. The cap on your cooling system is 30psi, so that's what you can expect to be the max pressure in the system. Pressure is what is blowing out your water pump seals and the plastic pipes as they weaken from age.
2) Boiling point remains at 350 degF, instead of somewhere around 212 degF if your cooling system loses its pressurization. Losing pressure in a water based coolant system causes a rapid drop in boiling temp of the coolant and flash boiling of the coolant around the cylinder heads thereby warping your heads and/or dropping valve seats. Compared to a leak in a water based coolant system, waterless coolant is not going to blow out all your coolant with the force of a steam engine from the pressure in the system, and second, it will continue to cool your engine without boiling.
3) Since it doesn't have water that causes corrosion, it doesn't need the corrosion package that wears out in normal coolant, so it doesn't need to be replaced, saving regular coolant changes and eliminating your risk of corrosion in the cooling system.

Yes, it does keep the car just as cool, and no the engine does not run hotter. No, it is not bad for the seals in a modern engine, but it is not recommended for old engines that use paper gaskets that need water in paper to keep a seal.

The following 2 users liked this post by lotusespritse:
QP7 (01-22-2024), ralphwg (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:47 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Yes, it's a godsend.

1) Your coolant system will run at close to 0psi, instead of the up to 30psi of the water based coolants. The cap on your cooling system is 30psi, so that's what you can expect to be the max pressure in the system. Pressure is what is blowing out your water pump seals and the plastic pipes as they weaken from age.
2) Boiling point remains at 350 degF, instead of somewhere around 212 degF if your cooling system loses its pressurization. Losing pressure in a water based coolant system causes a rapid drop in boiling temp of the coolant and flash boiling of the coolant around the cylinder heads thereby warping your heads and/or dropping valve seats. Compared to a leak in a water based coolant system, waterless coolant is not going to blow out all your coolant with the force of a steam engine from the pressure in the system, and second, it will continue to cool your engine without boiling.
3) Since it doesn't have water that causes corrosion, it doesn't need the corrosion package that wears out in normal coolant, so it doesn't need to be replaced, saving regular coolant changes and eliminating your risk of corrosion in the cooling system.

Yes, it does keep the car just as cool, and no the engine does not run hotter. No, it is not bad for the seals in a modern engine, but it is not recommended for old engines that use paper gaskets that need water in paper to keep a seal.
Very informative and impressive, thank you. Is it a very simple procedure to swap the X351 over? This may be a godsend for me...

Old 01-22-2024, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by QP7
Very informative and impressive, thank you. Is it a very simple procedure to swap the X351 over? This may be a godsend for me...
Nothing good is easy it seems. You need to get the water content down to 3% or lower. So that means opening up the cooling system in multiple places and blowing out as much of the coolant as possible and then adding their flush product and repeating until you get the water level down. You measure the water percentage with a ~$20 tool you get on Amazon. I managed to get the water percentage very close to zero on both the Range Rover and the Mercedes.

But compared to the work of replacing engines and pulling superchargers charges to replace expensive components, it's a lot less work and a lot less cost. Especially since it's a one-time thing.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 09:42 PM
QP7

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Nothing good is easy it seems. You need to get the water content down to 3% or lower. So that means opening up the cooling system in multiple places and blowing out as much of the coolant as possible and then adding their flush product and repeating until you get the water level down. You measure the water percentage with a ~$20 tool you get on Amazon. I managed to get the water percentage very close to zero on both the Range Rover and the Mercedes.

But compared to the work of replacing engines and pulling superchargers charges to replace expensive components, it's a lot less work and a lot less cost. Especially since it's a one-time thing.
Thank you - that is perfect, I will share with my tech and see if we can do it ASAP.

Indeed, many thank you's to you for sharing... And, I wonder if any other listers have done this?

(BTW - would be great to see some pictures of your e type at some point - feel free to PM if you prefer)

Last edited by QP7; 01-22-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by QP7
Thank you - that is perfect, I will share with my tech and see if we can do it ASAP.

Indeed, many thank you's to you for sharing... And, I wonder if any other listers have done this?

(BTW - would be great to see some pictures of your e type at some point - feel free to PM if you prefer)
I would expect pushback from a tech. They don't like different ideas than what they have been used to after many years. By the way, it turns out I bought the refractometer from Evans directly, not Amazon.

Best in Class at Keels and Wheels Concours.

The following 3 users liked this post by lotusespritse:
ddanielcigars (01-24-2024), QP7 (01-23-2024), ralphwg (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 06:23 AM
QP7

Now that is a beautiful car.... Wow.

Congratulations!!

The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (01-23-2024)