XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Survey: Water Pump Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Yes you do have the correct most current pump and that usually lasts fine.
Don't know that I have heard of another 3909 pump failing either?
There is a tube and O-ring that can be installed wrong too so check that.

The following users liked this post:
Quietgiant (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks for your input Freddy J & clubairth1

I truly appreciate the feedback. I should receive a new pump, o-ring and plastic tube next week. Other than it leaking, I haven’t diagnosed if the pump is actually bad, I’ll do that when I’m prepared to work on it. If the pump checks out OK, I’ll hold on to the new one as a backup. Either way, I’m certain I will replace the o ring and tube. I’ll update you on the actual results.
To clarify, I really love the cars’ timeless styling, ride and features however, if water leaks are systemic and lead to a more complex repair or catastrophe failure, I may have to reconsider my extended ownership. I do all my own maintenance and basic repairs but, I’m too old to be breaking knuckles on major repairs and needless reliability issues on a 44k mile Jag. I guess I’m spoiled. Other than a few quirky items, my 25 year old X300 VP (90k mi) has been nearly flawless.
I'm interested in knowing if any forum members owned your 3.0 V6 for 60+k miles without major or redundant issues?

Again, thanks for your input.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Being this thread was brought up, thought I'd add my $.02
2012 5.0 supercharged. Just purchased.
Water pump was replaced in 2013 @20,522 miles. Then again in 2016 @42,936 miles. No record of being done again after that.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

We've had our 2012 since 2015 I think, and haven't needed to replace it yet. But then again, we have the coolant replaced every couple years to keep it healthy. I have replaced the pump on my 2012 Range Rover with the same engine though. But it had some odd internal coolant leak gremlin that I had to address with the application of Blue Devil.
As far as the Jag XJ - no such problems though.
UNRELATED TIDBIT THOUGH - I recently treated BOTH the Jag & the Land Rover 2012 5.0 NA engines with 2 tanks of fuel with Lucas Fuel system cleaner, and you would not believe the difference it made in engine smoothness and idle. It was getting a slight bit rough, but after some of the Lucas fuel system cleaner, they idle smoother, maybe as smooth as when new - and even seem to be getting slightly better mileage too.
To be fair, I also used some intake cleaner spray on the RR several months ago too, to clean the intake valves & places fuel doesn't flow across.

I recommend that anyone noticing a not-so-smooth engine idle try a couple of bottles/tanks of the Lucas fuel cleaner before looking for deeper causes.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I've used BG 44K with similar results. On many vehicles over many years. I think they no call it BG 44K Platinum..

Old 02-20-2021, 12:06 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
I've used BG 44K with similar results. On many vehicles over many years. I think they no call it BG 44K Platinum..
Yes, I've looked for that, and I've called the BG Customer Support who were very personable. BUT I can't find it easily procurable other than maybe E-Bay (probably amazon too, but they're my last resort), can't find BG-44 on the shelf of any auto parts stores around here.
I would like to use the BG-44, and will buy some from E-bay one of these days, but I chose to buy these 4 bottles (for 2 vehicles) from Autozone, partially as gratitude for a couple of loaner tools that I borrowed (rented for free?) from them recently.
I've used things like the Chevron Techron additive and others for many years, but for just a little more $ and sitting on the same shelf right next to them, this Lucas stuff had better results that the others I've used including Seafoam, various Gumouts, Royal Purple - I assumed they were helping but don't recall noticing as much of an improvement from them.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I've found it in repair shops and tire dealers.

https://www.bgprod.com/find-a-shop/

Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes you do have the correct most current pump and that usually lasts fine.
Don't know that I have heard of another 3909 pump failing either?
There is a tube and O-ring that can be installed wrong too so check that.
I received the pump, gaskets and plastic oil cooler part. The coolers’ male end already has an O-ring on it. I received a 2nd O-ring with the pump.
I know this seem rudimentary but, Only the male end of the plastic cooler part gets an O-ring & that seals the male end into the pump?
Does the oil cooler inlet (where the plastic part seats to the engine) have an O-ring inside as well? To me, It would seem so.
Thanks

Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water pump

I’ve a 2014 XJR and the water pump was changed as a precaution at 36000 miles.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:10 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi All,

Well my turn, on the XJ (5.0, NA, 12/2012, 100.000KM):
my father was using it and suddenly while he was accelerating to overtake a truck, he got the low coolant message.
Gladly he was just next from his home, so he could stop the engine rapidly, but as far as he told me, ca. two liter were already missing, and dripping... never saw a WP fail so abruptly...

From what he told me, the pump looks like the original and it still has the Y-pipe going to the throttle body, and the coolant is running from the pump not from the pipes.

I understand from the above that the last pump design is AJ813909.

For the rest, I understand also I should get at least replace also:

a) two o-rings:
AJ811539

b) maybe:
C2Z18658 with two seals (they seem to be included when you order that ref?)

and c) the Y-pipe going to the TB, but it seems no more manufactured by Jaguar, even if one can find reproductions:
Amazon Amazon

Thus, should I want to replace the Y-pipes with the new design, could somebody tell me which part numbers I should order?

And finally, is there any other pipe I should replace?

Thanks for your help,

Thierry

Old 07-31-2021, 12:02 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I was unfair to my water pump.

I replaced it, easy job provided one has the usual swear words in reserve, and the big leak is still there...

The pump I took out seems to be the original one, if I refer to the design and casting date, so these can definitely hold 100.000 KM... all seals and tubes were fine... anyhow, maybe good I replaced it preventively, so no worries.

Interestingly, the pump, pipe and seals I sourced from Jaguar France were cheaper than from the online vendors (CA. 200 euros for the whole set).

Now, i suppose the next usual suspects are the pipes in the valley:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-217580/page2/

Not sure yet if I want to do the job myself, will begin a new thread on that.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump 2012 xj portfolio

Hello smelled coolant low coolant light came on, pulled over about a quart low of coolant refilled. Took to independant shop replaced pump several hoses 1333.50. Car has 108.000 miles .

Old 09-11-2021, 07:26 AM
Default water pump 2012 xj portfolio

Hello smelled coolant low coolant light came on, pulled over about a quart low of coolant refilled. Took to independant shop replaced pump several hoses 1333.50. Car has 108.000 miles .
Pump was replaced with a Land rover pump . plastic parts under manifold relpaced also..

Old 09-15-2021, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump replaced

was looking around for topic on replacing water pump on my 2011 xjl, as i have just done it also at 118k miles. Done it myself in the garage which wasn't soo bad, just make sure you have a set of hose clamp pliers to make your job a whole lot easier cause thats what took the most time for me. A pair of pliers worked but won't be doing that again. I decided to change it cause i've been recently having a small leak a had to keep topping off the reservior. Also had a problem with the small connector hose coming out from the front of the pipe. But after alot of sweating and soreness, job done!

CptChaos (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Did you also replace all the plastic stuff while you were in there? If not plan to repeat your work multiple times until ALL the plastic cooling parts have been replaced.
Are you aware of the square seam plastic tubes .Vs. the smooth seam plastic tubes? Jaguar redesigned all of the plastic since the square shouldered molded parts split at the seams.

wombat (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree with club.

In my situation my low coolant light came on about 400yrds from home. I parked, and the tank was about 1/2 full (I'd just had the coolant tank replaced because it constantly read empty, when full).

In my case I had a minor leak from the pump, and what was about to become an utter disaster from the plastic crap. I was lucky. I had the whole lot done for about $2000.

Think yourself lucky you didn't buy a 'hot vee' BMW.

wombat

Old 09-18-2021, 12:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Why doesn't Jaguar just change every f.....g water pump and crossover pipe in all 5.0 engines after 2010? We all know they are crap and will fail sooner or later and have probably been seeping coolant since day one. Not right... This is one reason I would never buy another Jaguar after my XK. Lexus or Toyota would never try to push this under the rug and takes care of issues as they arise. That is why Toyota/Lexus is where they are and Jaguar/Landrover is where they are.....at the bottom...Too bad.. A Luxury brand but inferior customer service. There is a saying.....Any car is only as good as the service it gets. Bingo.
Totally agree with your comment! We have a 2012 M37 Infinity and it had a belt thrown 3 yeaars ago and 2 batteries and that is all. I really am getting very nervious about taking the Jag out just for a drive. We had our pump replaced at 15k and now have 37k on it.....Guess I will try to find the dang part number and see if it is going to last or not! Grrrrrr.....

Old 09-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Dreger
Totally agree with your comment! We have a 2012 M37 Infinity and it had a belt thrown 3 years ago and 2 batteries and that is all. I really am getting very nervous about taking the Jag out just for a drive. We had our pump replaced at 15k and now have 37k on it.....Guess I will try to find the dang part number and see if it is going to last or not! Grrrrrr.....
I know how you feel.....and $80,000 car sold with parts that are KNOWN to be failure prone.

(ever hear of a small block Chevy needing a water pump replaced.......................................yea h, after 20 years and 200,000 miles!!)

Old 09-22-2021, 06:21 AM
Default water pump problems

My 2011 Jaguar xjl started with smell of burnt coolant about 3 weeks ago, sure enough the water pump is leaking from the seals at the bottom, Jaguar water pump at autohausaz.com around $300 plus the labor to replace it, this is a common problem on the regularly aspirated xjl, I went with the original Jaguar pump, $300 vs around $100 for a generic pump, this is a real problem on this model.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I bought my CPO 2013 XJ SC about a month ago and took it in for its 30K mile service a couple of days ago. I wanted to put the water pump issue on record and mentioned that I smelled coolant occasionally. As it turned out, the water pump was leaking so my dealer replaced it under warranty.

I started this thread to see how many 5.0L XJ owners have had their water pumps replaced. Please include your model year, NA or SC, approximate mileage when replaced, and current mileage.

To the Moderator: Can you make the responses automatically tally by the above parameters?

Stuart
2013 XJL purchased new, 1st Water pump lasted 17k miles, next at 67k replace by a local shop in addition to crossover and water pipe, and I just installed one at 97k miles along with the intake plenum manifold. Also had the coolant tank replaced twice- no leaks just bad sensor both times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Buckbakere:
F1Virginia (12-02-2021), Stuart S (11-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Survey: Water Pump Replaced?