XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Suspension Fault Adaptive Dynamics Fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension Fault Adaptive Dynamics Fault

Hi All,
MY 2016 XJL with 51000 miles.
I have this warning message happening now every time I start the car. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago I had driven the car and parked it with no warnings, went to drive it the next day and the warnings are there, car had just been parked over night no other changes. Has anyone experienced these warnings on their cars? There doesn't seem to be any difference in ride quality or ride height at this point. Any input or ideas about what might have caused this to suddenly occur are appreciated. I am down in Mobile AL at the moment and do not have my code scanner with me, hoping to avoid having to go to the dealer.

Appreciate all help offered. Paul

Old 11-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Paul2005, my car was giving me random error codes and mine has suddenly stopped doing it. I did two things that I can think of that may have caused it to stop. The first was putting in a new battery. The problem continued for a week or so after installing the battery. So, not sure if the battery is truely a fix or not. But, my battery was 7 years old and probably needed to be replaced any ways. The other thing that I did was get the tranny fluid changed. My car had gone 100K miles (70K under my ownership and was bought from a dealership) and I figured it was time to get it done. Now, I did get 2 more instances of the fault coming in, but it has since cleared. The only "instance" that I can relate to the light going off was that I was driving down the road and a branch fell on the road directly in front of me. I had no choice but to run the branch over. Ever since then, I have not gotten any error codes. In your case, have you run over something that may have bounced around on the underside of your car? You have 2 sensors under there that monitor the height of the car.

As for what you will feel, you should feel the suspension stiffen up on you and give you a harsher ride than normally. What happens is when this error code comes in, it stops sending an electrical signal to the shocks and causes them to go to maximum stiffness. Other than that, this is all that you will feel.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I once received this code, prior to calibrating my air suspension. I cleared it, calibrated my suspension then cleared the code. It did not come back.

I'd say in general try and clear it and see if it comes back. Not sure how cold it gets in Mobile, but here in the Midwest sometimes these air compressor related problems can start showing around winter time, then get progressively worse.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Paul2005, my car was giving me random error codes and mine has suddenly stopped doing it. I did two things that I can think of that may have caused it to stop. The first was putting in a new battery. The problem continued for a week or so after installing the battery. So, not sure if the battery is truely a fix or not. But, my battery was 7 years old and probably needed to be replaced any ways. The other thing that I did was get the tranny fluid changed. My car had gone 100K miles (70K under my ownership and was bought from a dealership) and I figured it was time to get it done. Now, I did get 2 more instances of the fault coming in, but it has since cleared. The only "instance" that I can relate to the light going off was that I was driving down the road and a branch fell on the road directly in front of me. I had no choice but to run the branch over. Ever since then, I have not gotten any error codes. In your case, have you run over something that may have bounced around on the underside of your car? You have 2 sensors under there that monitor the height of the car.

As for what you will feel, you should feel the suspension stiffen up on you and give you a harsher ride than normally. What happens is when this error code comes in, it stops sending an electrical signal to the shocks and causes them to go to maximum stiffness. Other than that, this is all that you will feel.
Not sure if it was at the same time/day but yes did run over an unavoidable small piece of truck tire left on I65 and yess today driving along the interstate it did seem a little more harsh over expansion joints in the road. I know on my 2005 there are level sensors on each back wheel and 1 for the front. Do you know if the 2016 have a level sensor at each wheel? I would assume that if this is the culprit it would be at the back since the piece on the road would be kicked up after the front wheels went over it. Worth checking out. Will let you know if I find anything this weekend when I will have the opportunity to lift the car. Wish I had my SDD with me.

On that note is there anyone in the Mobile area that has the SDD software and cable? Might make diagnosing this problem simpler.

Thanks for your input
Paul

Old 11-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dmchao
I once received this code, prior to calibrating my air suspension. I cleared it, calibrated my suspension then cleared the code. It did not come back.

I'd say in general try and clear it and see if it comes back. Not sure how cold it gets in Mobile, but here in the Midwest sometimes these air compressor related problems can start showing around winter time, then get progressively worse.
How did you re-calibrate the air suspension? Do you need the Jaguar handheld code thing? ( i cant remember the name).

Originally Posted by Paul2005
Hi All,
MY 2016 XJL with 51000 miles.
I have this warning message happening now every time I start the car. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago I had driven the car and parked it with no warnings, went to drive it the next day and the warnings are there, car had just been parked over night no other changes. Has anyone experienced these warnings on their cars? There doesn't seem to be any difference in ride quality or ride height at this point. Any input or ideas about what might have caused this to suddenly occur are appreciated. I am down in Mobile AL at the moment and do not have my code scanner with me, hoping to avoid having to go to the dealer.

Appreciate all help offered. Paul
Not sure if its the same thing, but i have a 2012 and was getting a similar issue a few months ago, and again right now. A few months ago, they put in some ride-height sensors and the problem was solved, seemingly. It started doing it again, weirdly right after i got new tires installed, but it was intermittent and eventually stopped by the time I dropped it at the dealer. Either way, they checked around, and found a pinched wire that they said was causing the ride height sensor faults. They fixed that, tested for a while, and no issue. Im picking up the car today, and I will see if they can tell me what wire was pinched or crimped, and I will let you know.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Ride hide recalibration can be done via the Jaguar SDD. In my case, I used Autel's Jaguar software.
It rides smoother than the day I bought it. No leaks yet, for a former Texas car I am surprised. Still have a few years on the extended warranty to cover that.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I recall for ride height calibration there is a complex ruler “tool” the dealership uses to measure ride height. Did you use this tool? What is your clearance between the top of the tire and the body panel of the wheel well arch? Thanks

Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 AM

I think the tool adjusts for variation between the wheel outside edge and the wheel arch edge. I just used a ruler, before I had a deviation of 6mm on one side compared to the other, probably from the last time the dealer busted my drivers wheel delvering the car back to me after warranty work. There are some guides on youtube to calibrate land rover suspension with aftermarket software, it was a similar process.

They shipped me a wheel and tire and I had it installed and sent them the bill. Probably should have had them check the front suspension, it's going in next week to be looked at. My ride is pretty bumpy in Wisconsin once winter peeked its head out (from yesterdays post to today, lol) I inspected my bushings and both front upper control arm bushings are cracked and leaking. I have 49k miles.

To answer your question, I should reconfirm what the distance is from tire to wheel arch.

Last edited by dmchao; 11-16-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Just for reference, the ride height is measured from the center of the wheel to the apex of the wheel arch. This should be around 403mm. (404 for front, 402 for rear). There is a tolerance of +/-15mm for this. This is pulled straight from the service manual.

The following users liked this post:
Nedoerr (11-18-2019)