XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

System issue/Radio-phone-nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System issue/Radio-phone-nav

I am new to this forum. I'm on my second Jaguar (first was 1 2009 XF Supercharged). I love my 2011 XJLSC but I am having a recurring issue as I hit my warranty mileage limit.

Without warning, all my AM radio presets vanished, the computer would not allow resets. The phone link stopped working and the navigation system froze (the message was that nav was initializing but never did and it indicated I was travelling on an unnamed road even though I was on a major tollroad). Satellite and climate controls were not impacted. The dealer changed the amplifier and updated the software.

This worked for 30 days. Yesterday morning, all the prior symtoms returned. I turned off the vehicle restarted it and the problem remained. When I got to work, I shut down the vehicle, open and closed the door-opened the door, restarted it with no luck. Naturally, when I got in the vehicle to take the car back to the dealer yesterday afternoon, all applications magically worked.

They are replacing another component but my fear is they are troubleshooting only. Anyone face a similar gremlin? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

My first thought would be to check your battery. While I haven't had the symptoms you describe, when the battery is low (or bad), I've had other weird things happen in my car.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2012MY lost all it's AM/FM presets after a software upgrade. Interestingly the DAB radio was unaffected. I then went away on holiday before i could get the car back to the dealer and left the car parked for 3 weeks. When I returned, although it started OK (with the familiar "Low Battery - Start Engine" warning) I found that front windows wouldn't one-shot close, rear windows wouldn't work at all, central locking didn't work in the rear, roof blinds + sunroof wouldn't work, seats lost their memory settings. It felt like meltdown!

My dealer found that one of the software upgrades they had earlier applied was corrupt. They had then applied further upgrades on top of the corrupt patch. Their explanation was that the corruption had caused a problem with the systems shutdown sequencing meaning that as the battery voltage deteriorated whilst the car was parked for 3 weeks various systems shutdown incorrectly and lost various presets and memory settings. The radio presets was only an early symptom of a wider problem.

All I can say is that my dealer re-applied the software updates (I assume they had to do some kind of system roll back) and magically everything now works as it should. No parts were replaced.