XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels

I am dissatisfied with the look of my stock 18" wheels and have almost decided to replace them with 20" Coventry Whitley wheels. I am wondering if any of you have experience with these. Also, I am having difficulty deciding between the chrome and hyper silver with mirror cut rim versions. Unfortunately I live in a small town so cannot just go look at them. I have seen lots of pictures. I cannot tell a big difference but I think the hyper silver are a bit more subdued. I am tending toward those. Any thoughts on the difference in appearance? Any difference in the repair of the rims once I scratch them?

I had an '05 XJR before my "11 XJ and am trying to get as close to the Sepang look as I can. I miss those wheels!

While I am writing, I want an all season tire. Has anyone had experience with the Hancok Ventus S1 Noble 2 all season tire? Tire Rack gives them a good review.

Thanks so much for your help. I am just a naive guy when it comes to cars and so am trying to garner all of the thoughts I can before I pull the plug! Your prior responses on the Forum have been a huge help to me.

2011 Jaguar XJ Base

Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

Ralph - try the following link - it is an interactive that will let you see the wheels on the vehicle. I'm looking at the Whitley's as well for my XK8

See Wheels on Your Vehicle - Discount Tire

The following users liked this post:
Ralph12345 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Hi Ralph,
I choose Continental ExtremeContact DWS ultra-performance all-season P245/45HR 19.0 front and P275/40HR 19.0 rear tires for superior hydroplaning resistance, wet traction, ride comfort, 186 mph speed capability; along with excellent snow and ice traction, noise comfort, longer life and less unsprung weight than the original equipment Pirelli tires. But then again, I'm an older guy, more interested in all-around capability than in trying to transform my XJL saloon into a sports car (I already have a '09 Corvette which fulfills that need), or to look stylish. Every review I've read on the new XJ equipped with 20 inch wheels mentions the fact that one becomes much more aware of road imperfections, but if style is of greater importance than practicality, go for it. Just be aware that wheel and tire damage when encountering potholes is also greater with 20 inch wheels.

Ralph12345 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Hi Ralph,
...But then again, I'm an older guy, more interested in all-around capability than in trying to transform my XJL saloon into a sports car (I already have a '09 Corvette which fulfills that need), or to look stylish. Every review I've read on the new XJ equipped with 20 inch wheels mentions the fact that one becomes much more aware of road imperfections, but if style is of greater importance than practicality, go for it. Just be aware that wheel and tire damage when encountering potholes is also greater with 20 inch wheels.
I'm in the same boat. I have a 500HP, 2600 lbs sports car with untouchable handling so, I too do not wish or feel the need to make my XJL into a sports car. Nor could I ever succeed, given the size. My 2012 5.0XF is much more of a sport sedan in its handling than the much larger XJL.

Too bad that Jaguar decided to trade their famous silky luxury sedan rides for a jiggly, stiff ride. It is uncharacteristic for a flagship luxury sedan. In my case I'm still trying to have Jaguar do something about the terrible ride of my particular XJL. One possible suggestion I have is to trade back down to 18" wheels and run either a 245/50/18 Michelin MXM4 or an even taller sidewalled 235/55/18 Bridgestone Serenity Plus set of tires. Both of those are noted for their high quality of ride and both would add extra sidewall flex to hopefully get rid of most of those vibrations caused likely by the stock springs that are too stiff for the dampers.

I was reading today a review for a new KIA K900 luxury sedan. The writer wrote negatively of its its smooth, old-school ride, noting that most manufacturers now follow the stiffer European ride model. Well, put me down for someone who might just prefer the KIA over a Jaguar or Mercedes or BMW if these high-line manufacturers keep up their insanely stiff suspension setups and couple them with ever lower profile tires that eliminate any flex in the whole suspension. A couple of month ago I read a review of the new BMW M6 and the tester stated that the ride was "unbearable". What the hell is wrong with these factories? BMWs, Jaguars, used to have great handling AND great rides. If this trend continues, why not just eliminate springs and eliminate tires and just ride on solid 26' rims. Imagine how cool that would look.

Yeah, I am very frustrated. I expressly traded my XK for this limousine sized Jaguar for its perceived comforts and smooth ride that were my primary objectives for my long distance freeway commutes. Yet, the XJL rides much worse over those speeds and surfaces than my XK did. No excuse, Jaguar!

Albert

johndahlheimer (01-17-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what the correct offset are for the XJ?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I was reading today a review for a new KIA K900 luxury sedan. The writer wrote negatively of its its smooth, old-school ride, noting that most manufacturers now follow the stiffer European ride model. Well, put me down for someone who might just prefer the KIA over a Jaguar or Mercedes or BMW if these high-line manufacturers keep up their insanely stiff suspension setups and couple them with ever lower profile tires that eliminate any flex in the whole suspension. A couple of month ago I read a review of the new BMW M6 and the tester stated that the ride was "unbearable". What the hell is wrong with these factories? BMWs, Jaguars, used to have great handling AND great rides. If this trend continues, why not just eliminate springs and eliminate tires and just ride on solid 26' rims. Imagine how cool that would look.
Albert
Albert- Unfortunately, car magazine reviewers are the main reason the average consumer is misinformed. They test most cars on dry, warm pavement without ripples, pot-holes, expansion joints, sudden depressions or heaves, and then grade these cars on how many G's they can pull, and how fast they can accelerate and stop using soft, grippy, low-profile summer performance tires. These same "outstanding" cars they give such praise to usually have poor if not outright slippery grip at temperatures below 45 degrees F. or on wet surfaces where they hydroplane at very low speeds; they skitter, dart, and sometimes leave the road totally if curves are rippled; and "tramline" or follow depressions in the road until they suddenly jump out of them. The rough ride experienced in cars with firm, non-compliant suspensions and wide, low profile tires, means that on rougher roads they can't accelerate or brake worth a damn because they can't keep their tires in contact with the pavement. And, the soft, grippy, rubber compound on these "performance" tires usually wear away twice as fast, meaning you have to replace them twice as often. Low profile tires are also notorious for failing after encountering typical pot-holes, plus ruining the (expensive) wheels on which they are mounted. But, you will never convince "arm chair racers" of these facts, nor convince them that they not only are misinformed, but look really stupid driving on large wheeled cars with rubber band thick profile tires on them. Car manufactures are simply catering to today's immature, insecure, and naive car buyers.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 01-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I ordered the Coventry Whitley 2 months ago for my Jaguar XKR.......These were the 20x8.5 and 20x10.

Hypersilver w/chrome lip. The wheels are beutiful. Great price through Discount Tires stores.

Only problem......front wheels had proper fitment, but rear wheels with +25 offset rubbed slightly against my oversized Alcon brake calipers.

I did not want to use a 5mm hubcentric, wheel centric spacer.

I would highly recommend these wheels as they are beautiful 15 spoke wheels and very well made.

My search continues for wheels for my 2009 rare Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition.

Ralph12345 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
I ordered the Coventry Whitley 2 months ago for my Jaguar XKR.......These were the 20x8.5 and 20x10.

Hypersilver w/chrome lip. The wheels are beutiful. Great price through Discount Tires stores.

Only problem......front wheels had proper fitment, but rear wheels with +25 offset rubbed slightly against my oversized Alcon brake calipers.

I did not want to use a 5mm hubcentric, wheel centric spacer.

I would highly recommend these wheels as they are beautiful 15 spoke wheels and very well made.

My search continues for wheels for my 2009 rare Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition.
Does anyone have any sense of the correct offest for the XJL?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 AM

SnakeSlayer - most websites have a fitment guide that will provide you that info.

Ralph12345 - if you have not purchased yet - recommend checking out 1010 Tire - getting ready to buy from them now but 20's in Chrome were $340 ea and the hypersilver were $324. I'm getting 18's for $250ea and shipping shows as only $40 to Summerville SC

Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
SnakeSlayer - most websites have a fitment guide that will provide you that info.

Ralph12345 - if you have not purchased yet - recommend checking out 1010 Tire - getting ready to buy from them now but 20's in Chrome were $340 ea and the hypersilver were $324. I'm getting 18's for $250ea and shipping shows as only $40 to Summerville SC
Thanks that the problem is that every site has a different offsets listed for the XJL including TSW/Coverntry. I was hoping to get actual information from someone who has purchased a set. I may contact butler tire in Atlanta as they have several cars on their site with the wheels and tires mounted.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM

understand - hopefully someone can provide. I've looked at the tire fitment guide that is here on the forum but it didn't have everything either.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, you might want to get a quote from Mr. Wheel Deal before you make a move. I got one for about $1000 for the four 20's Whitley's with chrome rim plus about $100 for shipping. As I have not bought from them, I cannot vouch for them. But I have liked their communication with me. I searched their name and some happy customers appeared. Lets keep in touch. I'm about ready to pull the plug too and will check out your vendor reference. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks Ralph - yeah I'm ready to pull the trigger as well - been looking for a few months now. I just sent Mr Wheel Deal a request for quote - 1010 was $1043 for 4 rims and shipping so he may not be able to beat that but they were pretty close without adding shipping in.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Those wouldn't look good on a large luxury sedan like the Xj. But here are some pictures...

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels-xj-witley-custom.jpg   Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels-2301_xlarge.jpg   Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels-xjlwhitley2.jpeg   Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels-xj-witley-c-custom.jpg   Thoughts on Coventry Whitley Wheels-jaguar_xjl_with_20in_coventry%2520whitley_wheels_3542b.jpg  

Ralph12345 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 AM

I have to agree with you Executive while the wheels are beautiful they dont seem to flow with the XJL. I have been looking to upgrade my 19inch Tobia wheels but cant seem to find the right wheel. I am thinking of sticking with Jaguar wheels... Mativa, Venom or Kasuga

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you'd like more ideas...I threw some 22" 1 piece wheels on mine. I wanted to go 24" but I didn't want to ride on rubber bands that thin. I was also tired of 3 piece wheels and bending.

http://goo.gl/jqb4o0

Last edited by derrickonline; 06-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Ralph12345 (01-30-2014)