XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires

Will be in the market to get 4 new tires soon and am wondering if anyone has any tire suggestions. Currently Im running the Pirelli P Zero's which are great but they did wear out pretty quick.

Im looking for something that provides a more quieter ride and a softer ride. Have the standard 19 in rims.

Anybody here have any suggestions from their own personal experience? I am fine with having a tire with a bigger sidewall if that helps smooth out the ride some but I don't know the tire "clearance" issues so I'm hoping someone here has done this.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

You may have to go to a smaller rim. Say 17 inch?
Then you can have more sidewall, softer ride, all you desire.
You need to keep the combination the same size in diameter so your speedometer won't be thrown off.
People that didn't had to change the gear in the transmission or just use the tach like a Nascar driver. Worse is going smaller without increasing the sidewall.
That makes the engine turn more RPM for the same speed. More wear on the engine and less gas mileage.
Most of my old cars came with 16" rims and I went to 17" with less sidewall. It seemed to be about the right combo.
18" and larger was just starting to come in at the time.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A few months before i got rid of my CLS i got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A3s (i think), and they were quite honestly the nicest tire i had ever driven on. Those were 19s like yours, and i thought the ride was great, much better than the Bridgestones I had previously, the handling seemed to improve somewhat, and they were much smoother on surface streets. The only downside was they were a bit nosier on the highway, but it was a minor tradeoff.

like rhomanski said, if you want a lot more sidewall, you would have to go with a smaller wheel to avoid potential clearance issues, but since the smallest these cars came with in the US was 19s (not sure about European spec), i dont know how small you can get to fit over the brakes. i actually think a 17" rim would look entirely too small on a car this size. a guy at my office just got a 740i or whatever the V6 one is thru his wife's BMW employee program, and they ended up giving him one with the 18" wheels, and he hates them. and hes right, as Clarkson said "its got smarties for wheels".

have you checked tirerack? they have pretty extensive reviews and comparisons of multiple types of tires. also consider trying all season vs summer. summer tires will definitely wear faster, im not sure about a harsher ride though. i like the ride now with the OEM 20s with all seasons, so my opinion there is kind of biased.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Edit: Accidental double post

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 11-03-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can get Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the size you need, I'd highly recommend them. They're quiet, grip really well and have worn well for me. They're far better than P-Zero's, those things don't last well at all.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I replaced the OE Pirellis with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on 19" rims and they are great. They handle extremely well in the dry and rain and ride comfortable and quiet. I highly recommend them.