XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Touchscreen Too Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Touchscreen Too Slow?

There seems to be a lot of complaining out there from both owners and magazine editors about how slow the touchscreen is in the new XJ--seems to be the #1 complaint after all of the early production issues are resolved (except for maybe the blacked out "C" pillars). I really don't find it that bad--am I in the minority?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't find the responsiveness of the touchscreen to be an issue either. I turned off the animation however which I found to be annoying and slows you down when moving from screen to screen. I've heard people complain about the screen not detecting button presses or having to hold their finger on a button for a couple seconds but I have not experienced any issues with this either.

Not to say that the experience is as smooth as using my iPhone and the system as a whole could benefit from a faster processor to speed things up, but in general I don't find the system to be unusable and it does what I want it to do at a reasonable speed.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find the touchscreen response speed to be average. Definitely not as bad as majority of reviews imply.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it depends on what you were used to. for me having had BMW's it is very slow. I also found that you need to use just the tip of the finger otherwise it confuses it and then it moves really slow. I found the verbal comand system ridiculously slow as well. By the time you enter a navigation address you could be at your destination.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a lot of people complain about the Touchscreen. I don't find it to be too bad. Even on my old Mercedes S550, while it had the iDrive like control, you still had to look at the screen to navigate to the different features and it was not always intuitive either.

I too turned off the animation (but kept the sound) and that that has helped in terms of screen responsiveness, it is not too bad. I also try to maximize the use of the steering wheel and voice controls (using shortcuts rather than "say what you see") whenever possible.

I would like more audio information displayed though.

I am also looking forward to additional functionality on the right side of the steering wheel.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the five cars I have with touch screens, the Jaguar is much slower and less responsive to touches than the others. While one may eventually become accustomed to the sluggish response of the Jaguar system, it remains one of the few operational deficiencies of the vehicle.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The touchscreen is a little slow, but it really isn't that big a deal the most used functions are available through the steering wheel controls which work just fine. I haven't had any issues with the response to touch either works perfect everytime. Turning off the animation definitely helps speed it up a little. The automotive media always needs to find something to nitpick and the touchscreen is the obvious choice in an otherwise stellar car.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"That bad" is an awfully subjective phrase. The standard by which I hold up a $115k car is far beyond what I'd expect of the command controls in a Civic. With the animation on, I find it to be dangerously slow...literally, as far too much time is spent focusing on the screen instead of the road. Without animation, it's still quite slow on certain functions, but I'm more disappointed with the UI than anything else. I think they tried to cramp too much information onto a single screen. It's makes things less intuitive, though it does eliminate multiple sub-menus. Just as an example:

From the Nav menu that has "destination entry" and below that "stored locations", I figure I would use destination entry when I have to enter in the physical address. If I click on the "stored locations" button, I can choose a location that I've stored, like my home button, or perhaps previous destinations. I think that's an awfully logical assumption. So, you click on stored locations, and all you can do with it is delete, add or change them. You have to click on destination entry, and then a sub-menu from there to actually select your stored locations as a destination. It's counterintuitive. At least you should also be able to select a stored destination as a current destination from this menu...why not have that option? Stored locations should be a sub-menu under the Destination Entry tab, and it would eliminate the confusion.

I have about 20 of these examples that I've presented to Jaguar North America. To their credit, they seem to be very interested in the opinions of owners, and appear to want to make positive changes based off of user comments. We will see if that holds true.

Last edited by kid delicious; 03-24-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
"That bad" is an awfully subjective phrase. The standard by which I hold up a $115k car is far beyond what I'd expect of the command controls in a Civic. With the animation on, I find it to be dangerously slow...literally, as far too much time is spent focusing on the screen instead of the road. Without animation, it's still quite slow on certain functions, but I'm more disappointed with the UI than anything else. I think they tried to cramp too much information onto a single screen. It's makes things less intuitive, though it does eliminate multiple sub-menus. Just as an example:

From the Nav menu that has "destination entry" and below that "stored locations", I figure I would use destination entry when I have to enter in the physical address. If I click on the "stored locations" button, I can choose a location that I've stored, like my home button, or perhaps previous destinations. I think that's an awfully logical assumption. So, you click on stored locations, and all you can do with it is delete, add or change them. You have to click on destination entry, and then a sub-menu from there to actually select your stored locations as a destination. It's counterintuitive. At least you should also be able to select a stored destination as a current destination from this menu...why not have that option? Stored locations should be a sub-menu under the Destination Entry tab, and it would eliminate the confusion.

I have about 20 of these examples that I've presented to Jaguar North America. To their credit, they seem to be very interested in the opinions of owners, and appear to want to make positive changes based off of user comments. We will see if that holds true.
I agree with kid. If we were comparing this to say the the first nintendo or a Vic 20 I would say it was great but in the day it is woefully slow and like kid says I think the UI sucks. Two have two digital screens there is not much we can do with them. Its bad enough we don't get the dual screen on US spec cars. Example; turning up the volume takes the whole screen. Why? and if you have a supercharged you have a 22 way seat. Why not use that big 8 inch screen to let you know what your moving like the new Audi A8 does. Pound for pound the A8 has way more techno toys but I still think the Jag is a drivers car. I kinda wish it had a built in Sim or wifi so they could push updates to it.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I agree with kid. If we were comparing this to say the the first nintendo or a Vic 20 I would say it was great but in the day it is woefully slow and like kid says I think the UI sucks. Two have two digital screens there is not much we can do with them. Its bad enough we don't get the dual screen on US spec cars. Example; turning up the volume takes the whole screen. Why? and if you have a supercharged you have a 22 way seat. Why not use that big 8 inch screen to let you know what your moving like the new Audi A8 does. Pound for pound the A8 has way more techno toys but I still think the Jag is a drivers car. I kinda wish it had a built in Sim or wifi so they could push updates to it.
I guess it just comes down to how important the "techno toys" are to you and this is purely subjective. The new Audi A8 looks like a box and is a weak performer. Yes, this is a driver's car and that's why I bought it--this outweighs the inconsequential techno deficiencies IMHO.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I think being annoyed with the slow screen goes up exponentially as your age goes down... I think the younger you are, the more toys you have that are touch capable, which in turn correlates to hating how slow the screen is even more.

I agree. For the money, it should work like an iPhone... seemless. Having to push hard on a button and take your eyes off the road (like to 'agree' to the NAV warning) are counterproductive and dangerous.

I complained from day one. My screen, like the rest of my car, decides to work fast one day and then like it's trying to figure out one of Hawkings algorithms before switching screens.

My Escalade was sooooooooooo simple to touch. The menus were extremely easy to go through. I just yesterday figured out how to search by business name and telephone # on the Jag and I've been using it for four months.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM

New2Jag, I think your point is an excellent one, and really the root of the problem. It does us no good if the system does all of these wonderful things, but nobody knows how to access the potential. The interface is just not intuitive. It's a basic flaw in their testing methodology IMHO...tell someone to test out the device to see if it works vs. blind testing to see if they can figure out how to make it work. My guess is that they spent far too much focus on limiting sub-menus and making every feature available from a single screen at the expense of clarity of purpose.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Oh, and I had no clue you could search by biz name or phone # either, and I've had mine since December. I'd love a tutorial if you feel like posting.