XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

TPMS question for the Pro's

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question for the Pro's

2013 XJL Portfolio with 59K miles on it. The TPMS displays a Tire Pressure System Fault. All 4 TPMS are OEM Continental and new. This version has the Space Saver w. no TPMS sensor. In SDD the car is programmed correctly for no spare. This nightmare started after replacing all tires about 6 months ago, no matter what I do, I can't get the light to stay off. If I just do a Hard Reset (battery disconnect) the diplay will show the "Check Spare Tire Pressure" light and eventually go into the TPMS System Fault...I tried to program each TPMS sensor in the module - this solution works only after programming each TPMS sensor and doing a Battery Hard Reset. Upon start-up, the TPMS warning is off, but after driving 20 minutes or so the warning comes back on - the TPMS light flashes then goes solid. I have accesss to SDD and Launch X431 DealerVersion. In Launch, I cannot spot an actual TPMS Module for diagnostics - it seems to be a part of the BCM? In the Factory repair manual, it shows the TPMS Module located under the front passenger seat - well, this car does NOT have a TPMS Module there. I visually checked the receiving antenna and each wheel sensor antennas - no issues. Does anyone know where the TPMS Module is located? I want to do a visual check on it. Other than that I am stumped - did anyone else experience this?

Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

A few questions. Did you get the proper mHz sensors? I've had nothing but bad luck with non-OEM sensors. Jaguar only for me. There should be no signal for spare at all. I dont think it was available in the US for this MY. The antenna near the rearview mirror will tell you correct mHz.

The controlling software for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is located within the CJB. The software detects the following:
  • When the tire pressure is below the recommended low pressure value - under inflated tire.
  • The location of the tire on the vehicle that is below the recommended pressure.
  • Malfunction warning.
The TPMS system comprises:
  • CJB located behind the rear seats.
  • Tire pressure receiver is located above the roof concole.
  • Two front initiators positioned forward of the wheels and behind the fender splash shields.
  • Two rear initiators positioned rearward of the wheels and assembled on dedicated brackets located behind the fender splash shields.
  • Four sensors, each sensor is integral with a tire valve and located within the tire; the space saver spare wheel is not fitted with a sensor.
The four initiators are hard wired to the CJB. The initiators transmit 125 KHz Low Frequency (LF) signals to the tire pressure sensors which respond by modifying the mode status within the Radio Frequency (RF) transmission. The 315 or 433 MHz RF signals are detected by the tire pressure receiver which is connected directly to the CJB. The received RF signals from the tire pressure sensors are passed to the CJB and contain identification, pressure, temperature and acceleration information for each wheel and tire.

The CJB communicates with the instrument cluster via the medium speed CAN bus to provide the driver with appropriate warnings. The CJB also indicates status or failure of the TPMS or components.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rummy636:
Ken Dreger (07-10-2023), kroache (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:09 PM

Thank you for the quick reply, If I remember correctly the TPMS sensors were VDO/Continental SE52029 at 315 MHZ (which matches the receiving antenna frequency). I did find it odd that it was showing the "check spare tire pressure" that is why I checked the settings in the SDD. You have 2 choices when programming the new TPMS, sensors in the system. One is the Space Saver wheel and the other is the Spare tire (being the 5th TPMS...I programmed it correctly using the Space Saver option. Once I did a Hard Reset as well, all was well for 20 miles or some time. The light comes on again. I will visually check the CJB, I know there were some issues with other Jaguars and the CJB but I didn't think it would be the issue for this since it does program fine and responds to Special Functions in SDD and Launch. I figured if it fails it would fail completely.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,337 Likes on 1,838 Posts

No TPMS in my spare? 2014 XJR. I got 4 cheap Chinese ones off EBay and had Discount Tire check them with their tool before installation.
They were only $30 for a set of 4.

Can't explain your 20 mile and the light comes on either?
Any reason you used SDD? I just installed the new ones and drove until the light went out.
Just asking as I have an SDD but did not use it.

Were the sensors installed with the new tires 6 months ago? If so any help from the tire people?

Old 01-24-2022, 01:40 PM

I used the SDD because the TPMS light did not go out by itself. I know the system will "read" the senors by itself after several cycles/drive time. But mine didn't - and 5 months passed. Every now and again, I have a few days off and I try to play with it. I did try the cheaper "knockoff" 315 MHZ pre-programmes sensors at first - that didn't work either, so I went to to the OEM

Old 01-24-2022, 02:06 PM

As for the help from the tire people - nah. Over the years I learned not to rely on Tire Rack, Tire Pro's, Firestone etc. I probably have more diagnostic tools and vehicle specific capabilities than most of them.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:51 PM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Any idea how old your "new" TPMS sensor are? The internal battery has a shelf, and install life.

It could be that you fitted lifex TPMS sensors?

Just a thought.

wombat

Old 01-24-2022, 08:54 PM

No, I don't know how "old" they were. However, I can radio scan each TPMS sensor on the wheel with the Autel TS608 and I get 100% reading on all 4 (Frequecy and battery)

Old 01-24-2022, 08:57 PM

The Launch X431 Reads the following Errors:

C1D21-05 C1D18-00

Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

I would go to your nearest Discount Tire and have them read the sensors. That should tell you real quick where the problem is.
Or is your Launch X431 telling you there is a problem?

See this thread as it points to you having more than one bad TPMS which I think is your problem.
TPMS Problems

Old 02-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Tpms lights

Please, just deflate the 4 tires to 10 PSI and turn on the instrument panel for a few seconds and turn off.
After that inflate the 4 tires with two or 4 PSI over normal and that is it.
I just did it yesterday and until now all 4 lights are gone.
You will not lose anything just try it.
Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (02-11-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,266 Likes on 3,441 Posts
Old 02-07-2022, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that's the same thread I linked in my post above. Looks like the same guy posted identical posts on two different Land Rover forums too.
I still think you have some bad TPMS?

Old 02-07-2022, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TMPS

I'm so sorry that I did not take a picture before I did what I already wrote yesterday.
Today I drive my Xj 2013 that had 4 TMPS lights on but I did what was mentioned below and all four lights went and did not light again.
Remember that each tire has its own sensor that looks like AN ELBOW AND WORK AS A HEIGHT SENSOR when you raise your car gets imbalanced that is why you should lower the car.
Front Suspension Height Sensor.
After deflating all 4 tires to 0 psi do not inflate the tire with the engine on.
After deflating just leave the car off for a longer time and then proceed to inflate.
It worked with my car.
I just want to help.
Please, excuse my bad English
Thank you

Originally Posted by 1Q2w3e4r5t
Please, just deflate the 4 tires to 10 PSI and turn on the instrument panel for a few seconds and turn off.
After that inflate the 4 tires with two or 4 PSI over normal and that is it.
I just did it yesterday and until now all 4 lights are gone.
You will not lose anything just try it.
Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BALANCIN HEIGHT.pdf (124.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf
BALANCIN 2.pdf (137.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

I "think" we are talking about 2 different things?

1Q2w3e4r5t your pictures are for the suspension height sensors and have nothing to do with the TPMS?
All the TPMS stuff is inside the tire attached to the rim. The system has antennas mounted in the bumpers to read the TPMS.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:43 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

TPMS issues can be a real pain. If problems persist, it may require a dealership visit.

If you haven’t already, read this F-type thread for inspiration:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/tpms-162046/