XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tpms sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tpms sensors

Where is the best places to order new sensors.

need to get this light turned off ASAP.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Always sourced mine off eBay.
A word of caution: Unless you are certain of which variant of valve is on your car, I would advise that you pop one of the tyres off its rim and take a pic of what's on there now. Then be sure you order the same.
It's a maze of confusion when it comes to which tpms valve was fitted to which MY model.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you sure you have a bad sensor? System Fault is often another part of the system.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:12 AM

Dear Chris32111,

As I wrote in other TPMS related threads I have several sets of original Jaguar TPMS sensors. (All were removed from new and original Jag wheels exported to Europe. Never used in car, checked with TPMS diag tool. ) If you are interested in send me a mail.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailure-227038/

As a PS:
The CPU of the TPMS is integrated in CJB and the system is a self-learning system.
The receiver antenna is located to the roof panel just in the front of glass sunroof.
The initiator antennas are in the bumpers for each wheels.
If there is no short or cut of the wiring system, there can be almost no other problem so the most common failure with TPMS system in X351s are sensors.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Agreed, the TPMS you need will be dependent on your location (UK, US...etc), year, and/or VIN number. You can check with your local Jag parts department to see which one they recommend, or take out your current one and buy an identical variety.

It can also be the antenna in your wheel well getting shifted around. That is also fairly common. If your car is ~6 years old or more though, then the sensor is more likely. I bought mine off Rockauto.

All the best.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

My 2014 XJR is getting new tires and the TPMS is working just fine. BUT Discount Tire says I should replace all TPMS because of the age of the car and the fact that TPMS only last 7-10 years and mine are over 8 years old at this point. Battery is non-replaceable which is a disappointment as they are quoting (As well as Jaguar) around $140 for each sensor. Have found them at FCP Euro for a great price of $41.99 each. These are the North American 315 MHZ versions so they should be correct. VDO #SE52029. Factory sensors are made by VDO from what I can find.

Seems to be a question if the spare tire has a sensor or not? I read the space saver ones do not and that's what my car has.

So do I need 4 or 5 sensors?
Have you replaced them prior to failure?

Last edited by clubairth1; 07-06-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Rockauto has them too @ $43.and change

Old 07-06-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they have them for almost the same price.

I found out the space saver spare does NOT have a TPMS sensor in it. You can easily tell if your wheel has a TPMS or not.

Note the nut on item 1. That is a TPMS valve stem. If it has a rubber stem then no sensor is installed. So I need 4 sensors for my 2014 XJR.
Attached is TPMS document from Jaguar with some additional information in it.

I have also read that Jaguar does not recommend metal valve stem caps and instead wants us to use the factory plastic versions. No warranty for the TPMS if metal caps are found on the car.
I have some nice metal "R" caps on my wheels and have noticed no problems in the several years they have been installed.

Found #BH52-1A159-CA is the correct 315 MHZ TPMS sensor. They are very cheap at around $40 for a set of 4! MUCH cheaper than what I orginally found.
315 MHZ TPMS Sensors

It's a bit strange because Continental is the manufacturer and that's cast into the plastic body of the TPMS itself even though the ad says it's an unbranded part?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TPMS System.pdf (90.4 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by clubairth1; 07-06-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
......I have also read that Jaguar does not recommend metal valve stem caps and instead wants us to use the factory plastic versions. No warranty for the TPMS if metal caps are found on the car.

I have some nice metal "R" caps on my wheels and have noticed no problems in the several years they have been installed.
I believe the reasoning behind using plastic caps, is so they don't have the potential to corrode, and become a "permanent addition" to the sensor's valve stem. With rubber, "non TPMS" valve stems, if the cap freezes in place, you simply slice the stem and off you go. The TPMS stem can't easily be sliced, so you possibly could find yourself in an "interesting situation", if the cap can't be removed.

I, too, have a fancy, metal valve cap, that I got, ironically directly from Jaguar, as a promotional gift, shortly after we purchased the car. Just for insurance, I put a small dab of "never seize" on the valve stem's threads, to ward off the possibility of corrosion.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Just to finish up I had all 4 tires replaced. Michelin Pilot Sports and yes they are expensive at around $2K with everything! Got almost 23K miles out of the last set. Interestingly Discount Tire cuts the mileage rating for the tire in half since the XJR uses staggered wheels. So only 15K warranty on a 30K mile tire. The tires wore very even and I have been satisfied with them all around. Again just expensive!

But the cheap $40 for 4 TPMS sensors worked perfectly and yes my car has 315 MHZ sensors. Had the TPMS error code when I picked the car up. Discount Tire said everything looks fine just drive the car to get the sensors to activate. Sure enough before I got home the TPMS light went out. But I did get a low rear tire warning the next day and that tire was down to 22 psi so we will see as I may have to go back for a leaking tire.

Got the old TPMS from Discount Tire and I plan to tear at least one apart as I have never had any problems with TPMS and really don't know anything about them. Still surprised the batteries can't be changed and I did find out there are external TPMS systems that do have replaceable batteries.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:19 AM

Hi,
I still have some sets of original Jag TPMS sensors (315MHz).

Originally Posted by Redmen
Hi, Finally problem solved:
I mailed several friends and partners with my problem and from a wheel-exporter I have received a box of sensors.
Now in my XJ all 4 are original JLR / FoMoCo and system runs correctly ( auto-recognition works... as it should )

As I have more sensors than I need I can sell the rest... If there is interest...
New sensors, never used in vehicle.
Removed from new JLR wheels because wheels were exported to Europe (the frequency is 433MHz in Europe).
Both TGB1B and TGB1C sets are for sale: US standard 315MHz. AH521A159CA, 6G921A159AB, 4H231A159CB and BH521A159CA
Mail me if you are interested in...

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Redmen
Dear Chris32111,

As I wrote in other TPMS related threads I have several sets of original Jaguar TPMS sensors. (All were removed from new and original Jag wheels exported to Europe. Never used in car, checked with TPMS diag tool. ) If you are interested in send me a mail.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailure-227038/

As a PS:
The CPU of the TPMS is integrated in CJB and the system is a self-learning system.
The receiver antenna is located to the roof panel just in the front of glass sunroof.
The initiator antennas are in the bumpers for each wheels.
If there is no short or cut of the wiring system, there can be almost no other problem so the most common failure with TPMS system in X351s are sensors.