XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trade in value. Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Trade in value. Ouch

Saw a car I was interested in at a Jaguar dealer and asked for my trade in value. They gave me a $12,000.00 - $13,000.00 trade in value. Ouch. My car is a N/A 2011 XJ base with 78k miles. It also still has the CPO warranty good for another 6 months. Car is in nice shape with no accidents. Safe to say I declined. Would rather drive it for another few years.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,888 Likes on 3,195 Posts

OUch, talk about low balling you on the car. Guess they are not interested in taking in a used car at the moment. Granted, this is probably the same dealership that thinks their cars are made of gold and are asking top dollar for the ones on their lot.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

That is just beyond ridiculous!

Dwayne

Old 08-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

That's absurd. You should be at $20,000 as an absolute minimum. http://www.kbb.com/jaguar/xj-series/...etype=trade-in

These cars do deprecate fast. I just got my 2011 this January and I've already seen the value plummet around 5-7k. I have a bumper to bumper warranty for another 3 years and I may trade the car in at that time if I'm above water or at least close to it, or keep it for around 5 years putting the car at 10 years old and around 80k miles. The thing with the XJ is I can see myself being very happy with it for a long time with the naturally aspirated V8, luxurious interior, smooth ride, killer looks and decent fuel mileage on highway runs. The car just keeps putting a smile on my face!

The only cars I'd consider today over my XJ are:
Mercedes Benz E300 - Severely down on power compared to the XJ. The S550 is out due to the new revision being the same cost a few years used as a new base 2016 XJ!
Alfa Romeo Giulia - Significantly smaller than the XJ/down on power if you don't get the Quadrifoglio. I like cars I don't see on the road everyday.
Lincoln Continental - A smaller version of the XJ
S90 - Safe with good looks inside and out but reviews say the engine and driving aren't what they need to be.

Last edited by SovietKitsch; 08-12-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The market demand for large luxury saloons has got much smaller over the years here in the UK and also it would seem in the USA.

Yet large SUVs sell well. We are now in a manic market phase where elegance is no longer valued; every body seems to want to ride on a truck ! The new Jaguar F-Pace SUV is now apparently the best selling Jaguar !

For those of us who can't afford to buy new large luxury saloons, the depreciation is very useful, however, as it means we can afford these things when they have a few years on them !

Old 08-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

The salesperson is starting out at a low ball number. If you were interested in a brand new car or another CPO late model you could probably get the offer higher, but only after haggling and negotiations. No fun in that.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
The salesperson is starting out at a low ball number. If you were interested in a brand new car or another CPO late model you could probably get the offer higher, but only after haggling and negotiations. No fun in that.
There's low ball and then there's absurd, which is what $12,000 for a 2011 Jaguar XJ is. Hell, there's a 2011 XJ on NYC's Craigslist right now with 95k miles that was clobbered by something and tore the whole front left to shreds for $9k. 2011 Jaguar XJ

Polyesterpig's is worth only $3k more than that? Give me a break!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm really concerned about valuation, at the moment, as my wife's '12 XJ-L got "rear-ended" 3 weeks ago. A) I'm certain that Carfax, et al, will track the damage, therefore lowering it's value, and therefore, B) I'm going after the other driver's insurance, for "diminished value".

Consequently, I've been tracking Jag prices on the internet, and they're ALL OVER the place.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm really concerned about valuation, at the moment, as my wife's '12 XJ-L got "rear-ended" 3 weeks ago. A) I'm certain that Carfax, et al, will track the damage, therefore lowering it's value, and therefore, B) I'm going after the other driver's insurance, for "diminished value".

Consequently, I've been tracking Jag prices on the internet, and they're ALL OVER the place.
Definitely go after the diminished value claim. The value of the cars are a bit all over. I think it's hard to get a hold on the price because there's not that many out there and there's also not a lot of people looking for one.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SovietKitsch
There's low ball and then there's absurd, which is what $12,000 for a 2011 Jaguar XJ is. Hell, there's a 2011 XJ on NYC's Craigslist right now with 95k miles that was clobbered by something and tore the whole front left to shreds for $9k. 2011 Jaguar XJ

Polyesterpig's is worth only $3k more than that? Give me a break!

Yikes, makes me want to cry when I see such a beautiful car destroyed like that. The poor owner must have been devastated!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

That one being sold as salage on Craigslist is maybe worth $9k as parts. It cannot be repaired for less than another $30k in replacement parts alone let along labour costs.

Based on the age and mileage I would estimate about £15k GBP for the OPs car in the UK, which was about $18k before the pound fell through the floor. A good condition example could add a couple of thousand more for a private buyer, but trade will only pay book value.

As Fraser says, the market for these cars in the UK has shrunk in recent years so prices are relatively lower than they were with the last XJ (X350) at 6 years into the model. It's all SUVs and mid-range saloons that sell. We are seeing the effect of that with less customisation options for the XJs for the 2016MY compared to the launch model. It's a shame to say it but the days of large luxury saloons are numbered. I doubt the UK market is the only place this has been happening?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

This is really apparent in the US. Even so there are two new luxury cars being offered for 2017. The Cadillac CT6 which is on a new rear wheel drive platform and the Lincoln Continental. Nice cars but you just can't beat the versatility of a luxury SUV.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in

Took my 2004 s type in for trade in for 56 plate s type diesel , asked him for price on it said give me £300 tops for it, my wife nearly gave him a right hook, needless to say no deal

Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 AM

Looking around I'd say the value of your car would be somewhere in the mid 20's. If you ever really wanted to just put it on eBay and see what the bid is, or try a CarMax near you.

Here's a 2011 XJL on eBay with 93k miles for $21k, although it has aftermarket rims and looks kind of rough in some pictures - LINK

Here's a 2011 XJL on eBay with 103k miles for $23k - LINK

Here's a 2011 XJ on eBay with 53k miles for $29k - LINK

After seeing these amazing deals pop up six months after I bought my 11' XJ with 34,500 miles for $35,500 with a three year warranty in January it makes me a bit sad. If I waited six months I could have gotten a supercharged for around the same price. Although I'm very happy with mine, the color combination (The Blue on ivory) and luxury package.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Yikes, makes me want to cry when I see such a beautiful car destroyed like that. The poor owner must have been devastated!

I agree.

However, the one you're referring to, on the Craiglist ad, has 95,000 miles on it. While certainly not at the end of it's life cycle, it's had a fair share of "enjoyment". My wife and I are truly heartsick over what happened to our 12,500 mile, never driven in winter, pristine 2012 XJ-L...........

Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree.

However, the one you're referring to, on the Craiglist ad, has 95,000 miles on it. While certainly not at the end of it's life cycle, it's had a fair share of "enjoyment". My wife and I are truly heartsick over what happened to our 12,500 mile, never driven in winter, pristine 2012 XJ-L...........

Oh yea, I feel for you both. I remember reading your story and just shaking my head in disbelief. How are you guys doing, and how is the cat?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Never trade if you can help it.....

If you want top dollar for your vehicle the only way to do it is to sell it yourself. I had a 1999 Lincoln Town Car, 90,000 miles, new tires and just replaced the carriage top. I was offered $1,900 at a dealer on trade ! After a very nice no thanks, I took 6 photos, put it on Craigs list and sold it 4 days later for net $4,000.00. It really is the only way to go.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Oh yea, I feel for you both. I remember reading your story and just shaking my head in disbelief. How are you guys doing, and how is the cat?
Thanks for asking!

The crash occurred July 21st, the car sat here locally, for a week and a half, while the insurance adjusters looked it over, the local Jag dealer declared they couldn't handle the aluminum repairs, and arrangements were made to send the car to a "Jaguar Certified " shop.

The car left here August 1st, and was transported to Hollis Auto Body, in Ashland, MA, near Boston. The Hollis people contacted us the following day, to let us know the car arrived safely, and also to e-mail back and forth, the necessary paperwork to get the job started.

From what I've heard, Hollis is a fairly busy shop, repairing a number of "high end" cars, so I'm pretty sure that they weren't sitting around, just waiting for our car to show up, so they could dive right in on it. So, right now, it appears that it's "in queue", waiting it's turn. I don't want to annoy the Hollis people, but I was planning on contacting them this Friday, to see how things are progressing. They initially said they expect to have it completed by the end of September.....

This is NOT a happy situation, at all!!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,888 Likes on 3,195 Posts

Leadfoot4, hopefully the insurance company is giving you a loaner car for the time that the repairs are being done. Most insurances will do that for you in a case like this.

On a side note, the next time I am up in Rochester, I will have to look you up. The next chance I might be able to get up that way is in May 2017 for the outage there at R.E. Ginna nuclear power plant. You will see my black XJ running around. So, should be easy to spot as I will have Maryland plates.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SovietKitsch
Looking around I'd say the value of your car would be somewhere in the mid 20's. If you ever really wanted to just put it on eBay and see what the bid is, or try a CarMax near you.

Here's a 2011 XJL on eBay with 93k miles for $21k, although it has aftermarket rims and looks kind of rough in some pictures - LINK

Here's a 2011 XJL on eBay with 103k miles for $23k - LINK

Here's a 2011 XJ on eBay with 53k miles for $29k - LINK

After seeing these amazing deals pop up six months after I bought my 11' XJ with 34,500 miles for $35,500 with a three year warranty in January it makes me a bit sad. If I waited six months I could have gotten a supercharged for around the same price. Although I'm very happy with mine, the color combination (The Blue on ivory) and luxury package.

And notice NONE of those have sold.

Quick Reply: Trade in value. Ouch