XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trade in value. Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Leadfoot4, hopefully the insurance company is giving you a loaner car for the time that the repairs are being done. Most insurances will do that for you in a case like this.

On a side note, the next time I am up in Rochester, I will have to look you up. The next chance I might be able to get up that way is in May 2017 for the outage there at R.E. Ginna nuclear power plant. You will see my black XJ running around. So, should be easy to spot as I will have Maryland plates.
Well, they are, but they aren't......since I'm running the claim through my insurance, and then they'll fight with the other guy's carrier, rather than try to fight it myself, I'm under the limits of my insurance in this kind of situation. My insurance covers $20/day, $400 maximum, If I had used the coverage, first of all, I would have been out of luck by now, as it's been 3 weeks. Secondly, $20/day certainly isn't putting my in anything better than a Camry or Accord, not an XJ. So, at this point, we're using one of the other family cars, BUT, as my insurance reps has said, in case THAT car breaks down, while the XJ is in the shop, call, and we'll get the rental car deal in place for you....

I'll keep my eyes open for your XJ, as the Ginna plant isn't all that far from my house.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,888 Likes on 3,195 Posts

leadfoot4, well, that sucks. Hopefully the shop gets to it sooner than later.

When I make it up that way the next time, I will let you know and hopefully we can meet up on day. I blast through Webster on 104 when going to the plant. I normally stay at the Extended Stay America there in Greece.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

CarMax quoted me $16,000.00

This is for a super clean XJ with no accidents, Like new original paint, no door dings. The carmax estimate came back everything good (thats their best score) - interior, exterior, mechanical etc. The car still has 6 months/20,000 miles left on the CPO warranty.

The only saving grace, we still love the XJ. I wanted to get a newer one with less miles, but we will just keep driving this one and see how far we can spin the odometer. I still love that N/A 5.0L V8 sound and feel.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
CarMax quoted me $16,000.00

This is for a super clean XJ with no accidents, Like new original paint, no door dings. The carmax estimate came back everything good (thats their best score) - interior, exterior, mechanical etc. The car still has 6 months/20,000 miles left on the CPO warranty.

The only saving grace, we still love the XJ. I wanted to get a newer one with less miles, but we will just keep driving this one and see how far we can spin the odometer. I still love that N/A 5.0L V8 sound and feel.

I'll assume, however, that CarMax is quoting you what they'd pay, to buy the car from you, correct? In that case, yeah, they'd try to "lowball" you, so they could make a profit when they re-sold it.

However, I'll give you something to work with. In an earlier post here, as well as a couple of other discussions on this site, I've detailed the sad saga my wife and I are going through. For those following this discussion, but haven't seen my other posts, here are the "Cliff Notes"......

Wife is stopped at traffic light, car behind plows into her, pushing her into car in front of her. Our super clean, 12,500 mile, 2012 XJ-L is mashed on both ends. No local body shops (Rochester, NY region) are "Jaguar Certified" to do the repairs. Car is shipped to "high end" shop outside of Boston, MA. After partial disassembly, and thorough inspection, damage estimate reaches the high $30,000 vicinity ($21,000 in parts, alone!), and insurance declares it a "total loss". We're heartsick over this, as we LOVED the car, but would rather see it totaled, rather than get back a car with that amount of repair work, no matter how good this shop is.

The insurance company declares the car's worth to be $44,498. The settlement to me, also included an additional 8%, to cover the sales tax in my area, the assumption is that I want to replace the car with another one, and the tax would be a cost that I would incur.

Your car is a year older, but certainly not worth only less than half of what ours was!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a reference, I just traded my 2011 XJ supercharged in for $26K when buying a new XJ.