XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Transmission Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission Clunk

Hi everyone, has anyone else with the 6-speed transmission noticed a "clunk" sound when getting on or letting off the gas? Sounds like it's coming from the tunnel/passenger footwell area. Turn radio/HVAC off and press the gas slightly - it never seems to do it from a stop, just while moving, mostly at city speeds. Transmission seems to be shifting fine and it doesn't make any noise when shifting through the gears, but makes it when you get on or off the gas. Very strange.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Somewhat sounds like you have a bad U-joint in the rear driveshaft that has some play in it. A quick trip under the car, you can grab the driveshaft and push/pull it some and if you see one end move slightly, that would be the bad end.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by a6kmita
Hi everyone, has anyone else with the 6-speed transmission noticed a "clunk" sound when getting on or letting off the gas? Sounds like it's coming from the tunnel/passenger footwell area. Turn radio/HVAC off and press the gas slightly - it never seems to do it from a stop, just while moving, mostly at city speeds. Transmission seems to be shifting fine and it doesn't make any noise when shifting through the gears, but makes it when you get on or off the gas. Very strange.
Something is wrong! I have the exact same car and there is no unusual noise from the transmission, or anywhere else for that matter.

Dwayne

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Seems to be coming mostly from the front passenger footwell/front tunnel, Thermo. Not sure if that would be u-joint related then? Just seems like it only does it when the transmission is engaging and disengaging with the throttle.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

a6kmita, you have the tranny mount right in that area and if the transmission is making a quick movement (ie, loading and unloading), it can cause noise to be transmitted through the mount if there is play in the driveshaft.

The other possibility is you have something loose in the suspension (lower arm joint at the rear for example). BUt, I would suspect that this would also be associated with a pull in the steering wheel and also noise when you hit bumps and whatnot in the road. Because you only seem to notice it under acceleration/deceleration, that tends to push it back to the driveshaft.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

ive been noticing that clunk too

Old 11-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
ive been noticing that clunk too
Glad I'm not the only one! I'm going to get into the dealer within the next 2 weeks to see whats going on. I've noticed a driveline vibration around 70mph as well; maybe it's related?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM

So I heard back from the dealer today and the clunking noise was a bad prop shaft. They are replacing it under warranty as well as the two valve cover gaskets that are apparently leaking oil (had no clue about that). Not sure if the valve cover gaskets are as intensive to replace as the head gaskets, but I'm awfully glad it's covered under warranty nonetheless!