XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Transmission fault after enthusiastic driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fault after enthusiastic driving?

Hello, recently bought a new 2011 Jaguar XJL Supercharged, amethyst black on walnut brown interior

The car is good but I noticed after multiple hard pulls (from a standing start), a message displayed on the tachometer stating "Transmission Fault". It also stated "Service Required" after we dismissed the message. However, after letting the car cool down, there is no indication of the fault whatsoever. During this period, the car shifted perfectly and normally.

I have read up on some of the electronically controlled LSD's on F-Type Jaguars overheating after heavy use. Could a similar issue be occuring to my XJ, as it too has an ELSD?

A check engine light was present from when we bought the vehicle, needs an O2 sensor.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:33 AM

Forgot to mention the car is the 5.0L RWD V8. 155k kilometres driven so far.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Yep, many reports of the e-diff on the 5.0 SC having problems when you drive it hard.
Across every JLR model where the e-diff is fitted so XJL, XJR, XKR, XFR, F-Type R and so on.
On a 2011 I would be looking to change out the diff fluid, you want Castrol BOT 720, as the first step.

The following users liked this post:
theoriginalbabu (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, many reports of the e-diff on the 5.0 SC having problems when you drive it hard.
Across every JLR model where the e-diff is fitted so XJL, XJR, XKR, XFR, F-Type R and so on.
On a 2011 I would be looking to change out the diff fluid, you want Castrol BOT 720, as the first step.
Does this wisdom apply to F-Pace SVR too? Or only RWD applications?

Old 12-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Does this wisdom apply to F-Pace SVR too? Or only RWD applications?
I think it does but don't quote me on that!
I vaguely remember reading a post or two on the F-Type forum that the AWD cars have more/worse overheating diff problems than the RWD cars.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:08 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Just out of curiosity.... anyone ever rig up a diff cooler?

Old 12-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

With the amount of miles you have I would for sure get the transmission fluid changed now! It could be something as simple as low fluid too but it's way overdue. The ZF 6 and 8 speed trannys are very good but like everything they do have their problems and quirks.

I use this place for any ZF stuff he is a real expert and very good prices too. One thing to note is you have the older XJ model with the 6 speed ZF. You can use Motorcraft Mercon SP as it's identical to the more expensive LifeGuard 6 fluid.
ZF Transmission Parts

Agree with OzXFR about the rear diff.
Here is my thread on my 2014 XJR it should be the same as your car. I used the proper spec Redline fluid. Lucky it's a very easy procedure!
Rear Diff Oil Change

Mine is tuned and I drive mine hard including the track and have never had a rear diff problems. As usual I think it's all about how the car is maintained.
I would really consider doing all fluids since you got the car used. PS, Coolant, Transmission, Rear Diff, Brake Fluid.

Oh I forgot one more thing?
The service required light can only be reset on the XJ with a service tool of some kind. The factory SDD or several aftermarket units can do it to. You should see the service light come on every time you start it once it starts reminding you.

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-24-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
With the amount of miles you have I would for sure get the transmission fluid changed now! It could be something as simple as low fluid too but it's way overdue. The ZF 6 and 8 speed trannys are very good but like everything they do have their problems and quirks.

I use this place for any ZF stuff he is a real expert and very good prices too. One thing to note is you have the older XJ model with the 6 speed ZF. You can use Motorcraft Mercon SP as it's identical to the more expensive LifeGuard 6 fluid.
ZF Transmission Parts

Agree with OzXFR about the rear diff.
Here is my thread on my 2014 XJR it should be the same as your car. I used the proper spec Redline fluid. Lucky it's a very easy procedure!
Rear Diff Oil Change

Mine is tuned and I drive mine hard including the track and have never had a rear diff problems. As usual I think it's all about how the car is maintained.
I would really consider doing all fluids since you got the car used. PS, Coolant, Transmission, Rear Diff, Brake Fluid.

Oh I forgot one more thing?
The service required light can only be reset on the XJ with a service tool of some kind. The factory SDD or several aftermarket units can do it to. You should see the service light come on every time you start it once it starts reminding you.
The transmission fluid was replaced recently and I had the full car inspected by a qualified mechanic before purchasing. However, I haven't seen the service light come on once, have I missed it?

Old 12-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Good deal on the transmission fluid so maybe fluid level check is in order?
Maybe it's not the same service light? If it's the oil change service light that will come on at every start and mine at least will start about 1500 miles before service and then counts down the miles with every start.