XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trunk closing quirk

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts
Default Trunk closing quirk

All, since getting my new XJ, I have noticed that the trunk does not always want to close on its own. When it fails to close, as I push the button to close it, i hear a faint "bonk bonk" coming from the trunk (the car essentially saying, "No, I am not closing the trunk". Yet, other times, I can open and close the trunk with no issues. The only difference that I can come up with is that when it works open and close, it is just after the car has been turned off. If I let the car sit for say 30 minutes (do a grocery store run), the trunk opens normally, but will not close unless I manually close it. I will have to see if it will open and close after manually closing it. Can't say I have tried that yet.

Only other quirk that I have noticed is that when starting the car, I will occasionally see an exclamation point appear on the far right side of the instrument panel and then sometimes I get the "SOS functionalty affected" warning message and then some times I get no message at all and all seems good (no messages about anything). Brand new AGM battery put in the car in the last 2 months. I have seen the "repair" for the "SOS message", so, should be doing that here soon. Maybe that will also fix the intermittent exclamation point error too.

If you have some ideas, I am all ears.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:53 AM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Does your car have the aftermarket "remote trunk closing" module installed?

Old 06-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Bernie, not that I am aware of. Granted, may have to give it a try. Never thoguht about that. The strange thing is that it does close sometimes, especially right after you turn off the car. You let the car sit for 30 minutes, the trunk opens, but does not close. May have to play with the locks and see if that may have an effect on things.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This XJ must be the replacement for Jackie. What year is your replacement?
If you can close the trunk using the dash button or the fob, you have the trunk closing module installed.
Cars without the module can only close using the button on the inner boot lid.
When I bought my module (from the Polish source, since Jes is no longer with us) it included a warning that there was a time-out period after approx 8 minutes.
Any other action with the car, unlock doors, push start, etc. reset the clock.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:12 PM
Veteran member

ca3724, Grayson, the replacement for Jackie is a 2016. Guessing I am going to need to go out and do some playing around and see what happens after a few tries with times. I am suspecting that I have other "modules" installed as my car has never once gone into START/STOP mode since I have bought the car. Been kinda nice. Makes me wonder if the previous owner was a member here.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:54 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

I believe that the owners manual includes reset instructions for the auto-open/close windows, sun roof, and the trunk to be performed after replacing the battery.
I have had to do it a few times, but not every time after disconnecting or replacing the battery.
The trunk acts (and is) lost when this needs to be done, not sure of where the fully-opened or closed positions are.
I can tell if the trunk needs to be reset by the trunk opening all the way, then slowly closing slightly from the fully open position.

IIRC, last time I had to do it, it took a couple of times, probably because I tried to do it from memory.

Otherwise, the struts or the motor/position sensor could be bad or a bad connection.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Ok, I am getting back to an old topic I created wtih more info. I do not appear to have the trunk closing module as pushing the button on the dash does not cause the trunk to close. The "failure mode" seems to be time based, not function based. What I mean by this is I can get out of the car, lock the doors, and the trunk will open and close as expected (push button to open, push the button on the trunk to close). It will do the same thing if the car is unlocked. I can even wait about 5 minutes and it will still function properly. But, i come out after say 30 minutes, the trunk will open properly, but pushing the button on the trunk will just get me a "Bonk, Bonk" sound. I then have to manually close the trunk. It was not this way on my 2012 XJ.

I guess I may need to try the trunk close reset procedure and see if that changes anything. Now the fun of finding the owners manual online and downloading it. Weeeeeeeee.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:13 PM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Owners handbooks available from Jaguar web 2016 onwards:
https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/mod...ocument/709955

Old 12-17-2023, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

Vasara, got a link that you can actually download it from? That lets you look at it, but I would like to have one for on my computer so I can look at it when I want. Granted, reading it, it did give a little bit of insight to what is going on. If I stand too far away from the vehicle, it will Bonk as I push the close button. But, I guess where I am still at a loss is why does it work right after turning off the car, but after 30 minutes, it doesn't seem to work. I can't imagine that I am standing that much differently. I guess I will have to line myself up to a reference point and test this theory.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:34 AM

Hi Thermo,

Ok. I got owners handbook and quick start guide for 2010-2012 as pdf file. If you like, i can share them for you by dropbox link? There might be some chances for 2013-> and 2016->.
You are right: These "online" handbooks are not as near userfriendly as complete pdf file. I don´t like them either at all.
That 30min is weird. I can only say that at least my 2010 i can open boot with key or outside button after several weeks leaving the car sitting. (in airport i first open to boot to put stuff in and then open the doors. (unlock the car)

Old 12-18-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Vasara, thanks for the offer on the 2010-2012 owners manual. I have that already in my collection of manuals. I was hoping to get something a bit newer just to reflect what minor changes that may have happened over the years.

Yes, the 30 minute thing is confusing to me too. Unless I somehow have a blown fuse on a circuit that I just have not realized is not working. That is about the only thing I can come up with and may have to do a once over of the fuse boxes. Granted, I would think the blow fuse would be showing itself in other ways and it gets "overriden" by a computer that remains active for a period of time after the car is turned off, supplying the needed power. May have to dig deep into the electrical manuals and see what little tidbits of info I can find that may spark a moment of clarity.

On a side note, if there is ever anything that you need in the way of a publication, let me know. I have gathered a lot of information about various manufacturer courses, on specific components (data that goes well beyond that of the service manuals), etc. So, if you have an idea and are looking for some data that you can't find, I may have it in one of the files I have.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
KiwiJon (01-26-2024), Vasara (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 01:49 PM

Hi Thermo,

Thanks for offer. I keep it in my mind. I highly believe collective information sharing.
Just came on my mind: You might want to try an Vehicle Reset function by SDD. It´s much better reset than just a battery off power cycle. It dosent reset the transmission learning or exsample air circulation flap motor endpoints etc, (either battery off will reset these, but otherwise its pretty good function for mysterious issues of the vehicle)
I have sorted following in time i have had my XJ: Radio/Middle screen stays on ofter turning the car off. (happened twice) ECU keep injectors on after tuning the car off. (high pitch noise from engine). Glass roof inner cover position reset cycle did not start. (another local XJ vehicle)
Any of these did not sorted out by locking and leaving the car for +15min or removing the battery, but sorted right away with vehicle reset by SDD.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if that may be related, but i have noticed, that after few boot opening and closing cycles, the boot does not close from the rear boot button either.
After that i get low battery message. So probalby there is some kind of security to prevent battery from draining by boot motors.
You could check how charged your battery is. Maybe those things are related?

Old 12-28-2023, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Norbertas, it is not the charge of the battery. It will happen whether I have left the car in the awake state or if I have completely locked the car and let it sit the same amount of time. IT is time based from what I can tell. Get much beyond about 15 minutes since the car was turned off and the auto close will not function. So, I am beginning to think that I may have a bad fuse that is supplying the memory for the close feature. That way, as long as the car remains awake, then it has a memory that it has figured out. But, you let one of the computers go to sleep, it kills this power and boom, now it is a dummy.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:03 AM

Thermo: Do you have SDD in your hand? There are function "Vehicle reset" what could help in your case.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

The trunk maximum opening height can be set using the trunk button?
Maybe this would help??

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

clubairth, I will have to give that a try. It may do the trick. I wish I had a working SDD program, but my last copy went belly up when it asked to update and I didn't have the wi-fi turned on. It has since locked me out and will not update. Grrrrrrrrr.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Well I ran into that recently too? SDD wanted to update. But when updating it said there are no updates and then it said if you don't update functionality will be reduced!
So I could not scan the car! I messed with it and finally set the date back to 2012 and then it quit complaining about updating and I could again use SDD.

Resetting the date was something I was told at the very beginning was mandatory with SDD to keep it working. I tried to Deep Freeze which automatically resets the date and system to whatever date you want when the machine is booted up. But that never worked for me and I eventually had to completely wipe the drive and start over again. Up to this time I was running with the current date too?

I hope I am not coming to the end of a usable SDD? This setup has been working for several years and I don't have any desire to go through that big mess again to get it working.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

clubairth, guess what, that reset seems to have done the trick. Trunk is acting more like what I think it should be. I haven't needed to open it a lot since I did the reset, but it does seem to close when before it wouldn't.

So, for the others, just press and hold the trunk close button if your trunk is starting to act goofey. May save you a lot of heartache.