XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trying to decide...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide...

New here..I am currently deployed in Iraq and will not be back until June of next year. I own a Chrysler 300 and that is pretty much the only car I have ever driven. So with this being my 2nd deployment, I have saved up enough money to get a used "luxury" car of my dreams. That car of my dreams was/is the BMW 750LI. I am looking at a CPO 2007 or a 2008 (Car must be under warranty for obvious reasons). Then I came across the 2010 Jaguar XJ L and have become VERY interested. I've seen photos and I've seen some videos on youtube but never saw it in person let alone been inside one before.

My question is, please give me your honest opinion on this vehicle and what it provides that the 750LI does not and what it lacks in comparison to the 750LI (E66 2002-2008 version). I think by June of next year, the 2010 model will come down to the $40K-$50K price range which is about what a good, low mileage CPO 750LI is. Thank you all

Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Even the 385 HP normally aspirated XJL will outperform the 750Li--the 470 HP supercharged version will blow it away! Personally, I have never warmed up to the "Bangle-butt" rear end of the 750--even though they keep toning it down each year, in my opinion, it still looks odd. The new XJ is simply beautiful from all angles and I think the rear view is one of its best features--kind of Bentleyesque the way the tail lights wrap over the top edge of the trunk.

Keep in mind that these are 2011 model year cars and by next June before the 2012 models come out I don't think a $75,500 list price car (normally aspirated long wheel base) will be in the $40K to $50K price range you are looking for much less a supercharged model that lists for $15K more.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the BMW and the Jag have 2 very different personalities. The Jag has the looks which makes anyone passing by stop and take another 2 or 3 looks. The Jag is also very comfortable, very fast, and very very luxurious.

The BMW is geared a little more towards the driver. I havent driven it myself, but I know someone who has one, and its a little more engaging to drive. All BMW's are. However the new XJ is much more driver orientated than the previous model with a more taught suspension and better road holding.

If its quality that you are looking for I would say it is a toss up. Some others would disagree because they have had some less than nice experiences with some dealers and their new cars. However this being the first model year it takes some time for any manufacture to sort out the kinks.

Being a Jag man myself I will always be bias towards the Jag. Their looks are so unique and stunning that I would live with any amount of problems, just so I could walk into my garage just to catch a glimpse of the sculpted body lines. To me the German cars always seem to look a bit angry, whereas the Jag is just an all around pleasant looker!

If I were you Id choose the car that I have a more emotional connection with. Search this site and some posts, and also search some BMW forums too. Compare them and see which one you like best.

By the way thank you for your service to our country!!

You cannot be thanked enough! Return home safe!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Even the 385 HP normally aspirated XJL will outperform the 750Li--the 470 HP supercharged version will blow it away! Personally, I have never warmed up to the "Bangle-butt" rear end of the 750--even though they keep toning it down each year, in my opinion, it still looks odd. The new XJ is simply beautiful from all angles and I think the rear view is one of its best features--kind of Bentleyesque the way the tail lights wrap over the top edge of the trunk.

Keep in mind that these are 2011 model year cars and by next June before the 2012 models come out I don't think a $75,500 list price car (normally aspirated long wheel base) will be in the $40K to $50K price range you are looking for much less a supercharged model that lists for $15K more.
I love the look of the new XJL. It is absolutely stunning from all angles but I also love the look of the sports package 750LI. I am really into "luxury" though and was curious on some things the XJ L is bringing to the table in comparison to the 750LI. Such as, does it have something similar to the BMW's Luxury seating package" with heated/cooled/massage features? Does it have something similar to BMW's "Rear Comfort Seats" with reclining, heated, and cooled features? I do love the touchscreen in the XJ as well as the rear entertainment headrest but how good is the leather? What kind do they use? And I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a 2010 Jaguar XJ L losing significant value in a year and a half (the time i get back) since a few months AFTER I return, they should be putting out their 2012 vehicles. How good do these cars hold their value?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

To my knowledge there were no 2010 XJ's--the redesigned models were announced in July, 2009 as 2010 models but Jaguar held off releasing them until May, 2010 as 2011 models to work out a few bugs. As far as holding their value, I usually look at the lease residual rates being quoted by Jaguar credit--the 3 year residual is 55% of list price. I would imagine that after 1 year the car would be worth 75% to 80% and after 2 years 65% to 70%.

The XJ has all of the luxury features you would get in a 750 like heated/cooled/massage seats in front and heated/cooled seats in rear, voice commands for all audio/nav/climate systems, rear camera/park assist plus the virtual instruments that do a lot of very cool things. Check out Jaguar's website for all of the features. Leather quality? Hey, this is a Jaguar--they invented first class leather seating!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A very sincere ‘thank you’ for your service as well. I wish you a safe deployment and safe return home.

First and foremost, you can’t go wrong either way - both are fine cars. Whatever ends up in your garage you will love. I could stop there.

I’ll let others comment on the side-by-side comparison of the two cars, and I’ll echo Alex’s comments. But, as there were similarities to what you seem to be thinking through, I’ll relay my BMW-vs-Jaguar decision and outcome. I’ve had my heart set on a 6-series for over a decade (the bug first hit in 1990 when my boss bought a used 633). Over a year ago, I started a national search for an ’07 or ’08 650i with low to reasonable miles, well down the depreciation curve, in the right color and with the right setup. After about 6 months of waiting for the right color to come up (Stratus Grey), two friends from work came in and encouraged me to look seriously at the Jaguar X-series and the Mercedes C-series – they called it “intervention.” They weren’t trying to talk me away from the 650i, but they knew that at that pricepoint there are other fine cars in the mix. Long story short, that weekend I found an ’07 XKR with 9,100 miles on it and ~2 yrs remaining warranty – and I bought it. 6 months later, I am still finding reasons to take the long way home, making up reasons to take it out for a run, I still walk out into the garage and just stare at it, etc. It’s more visceral than I can explain. Each time I get in it is further validation that I did the right thing. It’s striking enough (an understated strength of design and power) and uncommon enough (don’t see 50 on the road) that it’s a constant head-turner. If you go with the XK, I strongly recommend getting the supercharged version. As with anything performance-oriented, you don’t want to run out – you can always choose to use less, but when you want it, you expect it to be there.

Again, you can’t go wrong either way - both are fine cars. Whatever ends up in your garage you will love and never look back. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
To my knowledge there were no 2010 XJ's--the redesigned models were announced in July, 2009 as 2010 models but Jaguar held off releasing them until May, 2010 as 2011 models to work out a few bugs. As far as holding their value, I usually look at the lease residual rates being quoted by Jaguar credit--the 3 year residual is 55% of list price. I would imagine that after 1 year the car would be worth 75% to 80% and after 2 years 65% to 70%.

The XJ has all of the luxury features you would get in a 750 like heated/cooled/massage seats in front and heated/cooled seats in rear, voice commands for all audio/nav/climate systems, rear camera/park assist plus the virtual instruments that do a lot of very cool things. Check out Jaguar's website for all of the features. Leather quality? Hey, this is a Jaguar--they invented first class leather seating!
Thank you for clearing that up. I guess that would explain why I haven't seen any 2010 XJ L's on Autotrader or Ebay and ONLY 2011's. This means I may have to wait until another calender year goes by in order for that price to drop down to -at or near- the price range I'm looking for. Do you think I would have to wait until calender year 2012 or 2013 for them to be around $40-$50K? Thank you

Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by bart_redline99
A very sincere ‘thank you’ for your service as well. I wish you a safe deployment and safe return home.

First and foremost, you can’t go wrong either way - both are fine cars. Whatever ends up in your garage you will love. I could stop there.

I’ll let others comment on the side-by-side comparison of the two cars, and I’ll echo Alex’s comments. But, as there were similarities to what you seem to be thinking through, I’ll relay my BMW-vs-Jaguar decision and outcome. I’ve had my heart set on a 6-series for over a decade (the bug first hit in 1990 when my boss bought a used 633). Over a year ago, I started a national search for an ’07 or ’08 650i with low to reasonable miles, well down the depreciation curve, in the right color and with the right setup. After about 6 months of waiting for the right color to come up (Stratus Grey), two friends from work came in and encouraged me to look seriously at the Jaguar X-series and the Mercedes C-series – they called it “intervention.” They weren’t trying to talk me away from the 650i, but they knew that at that pricepoint there are other fine cars in the mix. Long story short, that weekend I found an ’07 XKR with 9,100 miles on it and ~2 yrs remaining warranty – and I bought it. 6 months later, I am still finding reasons to take the long way home, making up reasons to take it out for a run, I still walk out into the garage and just stare at it, etc. It’s more visceral than I can explain. Each time I get in it is further validation that I did the right thing. It’s striking enough (an understated strength of design and power) and uncommon enough (don’t see 50 on the road) that it’s a constant head-turner. If you go with the XK, I strongly recommend getting the supercharged version. As with anything performance-oriented, you don’t want to run out – you can always choose to use less, but when you want it, you expect it to be there.

Again, you can’t go wrong either way - both are fine cars. Whatever ends up in your garage you will love and never look back. Best of luck in your decision.
Thank you very much! I only have 6 more months back and hopefully I can stay home longer then a year before another deployment this time .

First and foremost, your Jaguar looks GORGEOUS. I am not a fan of two-door cars and usually do not even pay attention to them when I see them but your signature pic caught my eye and it looks amazing. Nice job! I have an account on bimmerfest.com and have found out so much just from reading their forums and I am very confident in the 750LI at the moment. I will continue to do my research on the XJ L so it will give me a better understanding on which route to take. I felt as if I found the car of my dreams when I finally found my Black Chrysler 300 Signature series with all the options and really thought I was riding in luxury (which it is, for its class) but then once I saw the 750 and saw how REAL, QUALITY luxury is, I lost so much love my 300 and I didn't even think it was possible.

Then I saw the Jag and became so confused haha. They are both Gorgeous vehicles and I guess I'm a little more bias towards the 750 ONLY because I know so much about it at the moment but I think it's only fair to even the grounds before making an important decision so I will continue to read these forums and find out as much as I can about those XJ L's. Thank you

Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sims first off, God bless you and thank you for fighting for our freedom. Be safe.
The 2010 xj doesn't exist, I believe you are talking about the 2011, if not they are totally different cars. I think the 2009 was the last body style for the xj.
I suggest you test drive both before you make a decision.
I previously had a 08 750iL great car too but the 11 xj8L I feel out handles,and is quicker, and alot of staring from people, well because it's new.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by jcamp
Sims first off, God bless you and thank you for fighting for our freedom. Be safe.
The 2010 xj doesn't exist, I believe you are talking about the 2011, if not they are totally different cars. I think the 2009 was the last body style for the xj.
I suggest you test drive both before you make a decision.
I previously had a 08 750iL great car too but the 11 xj8L I feel out handles,and is quicker, and alot of staring from people, well because it's new.
JCamp,

Thank you very much. So how long did you have the 2008 750LI? How many miles did you get up to and did you ever have any issues or expensive issues that weren't under warranty? With the new XJ, which one feels more luxurious on the inside? Thanks for the input