XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Turn off service light for oil change - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Turn off service light for oil change - RESOLVED

Did my first oil change on the XJ yesterday and it went easy, almost too easy. I used a Mityvac mv7201 syphon and didn't spill a drop. This has to be the easiest engine to change oil in. This engine really needs 10 minutes sitting to let all the oil go to the pan. I purchased the castrol pro oil from my dealer @ $8.95qt. The filter was purchased on eBay from Gaudin Jaguar oem $28.00. I use the oem stuff due to my warranty is still active. This is a 15 minute job! I can't believe the dealer charges $280.00.

Now how do I turn off the service light? Anyone purchase a diagnostics tool that can reset the service light? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Did my first oil change on the XJ yesterday and it went easy, almost too easy. I used a Mityvac mv7201 syphon and didn't spill a drop. This has to be the easiest engine to change oil in. This engine really needs 10 minutes sitting to let all the oil go to the pan. I purchased the castrol pro oil from my dealer @ $8.95qt. The filter was purchased on eBay from Gaudin Jaguar oem $28.00. I use the oem stuff due to my warranty is still active. This is a 15 minute job! I can't believe the dealer charges $280.00.

Now how do I turn off the service light? Anyone purchase a diagnostics tool that can reset the service light? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks
Good for you! Perhaps the dealer $280.00 charge included a few more things than just the simple oil and filter change you performed?
Did you check the transmission, differential, power steering, brake, and windshield levels? Did you check for shock absorber leakage, loose suspension components, front end alignment, excessive brake wear, or signs of abnormal tire wear? Did you check for system malfunctions?
Was your engine at normal operating temperature before you drained the oil? Did you allow 10 minutes after engine shut down before opening the drain plug?
Will you have proper documentation of authorized maintenance for resale or trade-in purposes?
Considering the value of your Jaguar, do you think avoiding authorized dealer charges is a good return for the dollars saved?
If you experience a car failure or malfunction, do you think the manufacturer should stand behind their product which you serviced, and then reset the computers?
I'm not being argumentative or disrespectful, I'm simply asking these questions in earnest to learn the mindset of do-it-your self members.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

John, the OP simply asked if there was a way to turn off the service light and any recommendations for code readers, if you can help??

OP - I'm afraid as far as I know this is a dealer only function, or as you say with a good code reader, that you'd need to purchase.
I'm sure there are several recommendations for code readers in the general tech help section.

Good luck

Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
John, the OP simply asked if there was a way to turn off the service light and any recommendations for code readers, if you can help??

OP - I'm afraid as far as I know this is a dealer only function, or as you say with a good code reader, that you'd need to purchase.

I'm sure there are several recommendations for code readers in the general tech help section.

Good luck
Thanks Jim,
I'm simply not into falsifying service records, or aiding those who unwittingly, or unknowingly, seek to do so. If that costs me my membership in this Forum, then so be it.
I think the questions I asked were appropriate, honest and respectful for an "open Forum".
Your call,
John Dahlheimer

The following users liked this post:
georgekale (07-27-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

John, I think that "falsifying service records" is a point too far, perhaps your point of view, but not many others I suspect.

So if I have my engine oil & filter changed, air & fuel filter changed and reset the service light, having checked tyre wear, lights etc and other levels, general condition, this in your view is not a "full service" and is as you stated?
To be honest I find that a bit much!

On that note, Audi recommended that I change my air filter and fuel filter every 40k miles, I changed it every year, so surely that's better??

OP - As stated I believe its dealer only or you have to have a diagnostic tool, others more knowledgable than I will no doubt chime in

Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM

John I admire your passion. I have been building engines since I was 13. That's 37 years of turning wrenches on race engines, motorcycle and automobiles.

I also worked at an auto garage as a tech. I did this service at the 7500 mile interval. I will let the dealer do it at the next 7500 mile interval due to the car still having a 100,000 mile warranty.

I am still not convinced that 15000 mile oil intervals is the best thing, so I cut it in half. I actually enjoy working on cars because I don't do it for a living. Yes, I brought the engine up to temp and turned off the engine.
Waited at least 10 minutes for most of the oil to go to the pan and started the oil extraction. This is the first time doing an oil change with a syphon and I wanted to share my experience.

On my personal inspection- a couple bolts were missing on the underside which hold the plastic undercarriage splash guard and there is a slight oil leak either at the rear main seal or starter. The only way you would know there was an oil leak is to remove the splash guards. On regular services, the splash guards are not removed. This is why my dealer missed the oil leak on my last service.

All my fluid levels are correct and my shocks Show no signs of leaks. I am surprised they didn't know a few bolts were missing, or they didn't torque them correctly.

I don't know where falsified records came in, since I purchased the oil from my dealer (my service advisor actually walked me over to the parts counter to purchase the oil)

Last edited by Polyesterpig; 04-12-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Jim,
Again, I do believe that car manufacturers have a right to expect purchasers of their cars to abide by contractual "authorized" service requirements on their cars, as designated in the purchase contract, and clearly spelled out conditions of the cars warranty, if they expect said manufacturers (i.e. Jaguar) to honor their warranty.
If anyone encourages or abets using reset codes, clearly intended to be used by authorized Jaguar dealerships, then yes, you are falsifying service records.
I suspect this response may cause me to loose membership in this Forum, but I have to prefer honesty above convenience.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Agree with a lot of your comments PP
I don't always hold that a used car with FSH ( full service history ) is always a good thing to go by.
As I said for example, sometimes dealers do a quick oil change / inspection and that's it!

Not always, but sometimes either DIY or a combo can work better.
I used to get Audi to service my A6 but did mid way oil changes myself and or changed the air filter / fuel filter every year ( approx. 10k-15k for me at that point ) rather than letting it go the 40k recommended.

Sounds like you're on the ball PP

Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 PM

John I admire your passion. I have been building engines since I was 13. That's 37 years of turning wrenches on race engines, motorcycle and automobiles.

I also worked at an auto garage as a tech. I did this service at the 7500 mile interval. I will let the dealer do it at the next 7500 mile interval due to the car still having a 100,000 mile warranty.

I am still not convinced that 15000 mile oil intervals is the best thing, so I cut in half. I actually enjoy working on cars because I don't do it for a living. Yes, I brought the engine up to temp and turned off the engine.
Waited at least 10 minutes for most of the oil to go to the pan and started the oil extraction. This is the first time doing an oil change with a syphon and I wanted to share my experience.

On my personal inspection- a couple bolts were missing on the underside which hold the plastic undercarriage splash guard and there is a slight oil leak either at the rear main seal or starter. The only way you would know there was an oil leak is to remove the splash guards. On regular services, the splash guards are not removed. This is why my dealer missed the oil leak on my last service.

All my fluid levels are correct and my shocks do not show any signs of leaks. I am surprised they didn't know a few bolts were missing, or they didn't torque them correctly.

I don't know where falsified records came in, since I purchased the oil from my dealer (my service advisor actually walked me over to the parts counter to purchase the oil)
Hey, Polyesterpig (good grief, what a handle )

I'm sure you are competent, and I never challenged that. The fact that your service adviser walked you over to the parts counter to purchase the oil you used, however, doesn't qualify you as an authorized service technician, performing authorized maintenance. You know that, as well as I do.
So no sense in

Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, dont you lot go at it! The service records are kept on the computer file for the car and are normally identified by a stamp in the book so reseting the light is not falsifying records!
I have been an engineer for all of my working life and am now about to retire, I prefer doing the service myself because I know what has been done and the standard it has been done too.
Only 2 weeks ago I berated a main dealer for not doing the work he had stamped for in my cars book (he agreed they had done it wrong) so a main dealer history is not proof the work has been done to the standard required.
As for contractual agreements I dont know American law but in the UK they cannot specify that a main dealer is used only that the service intervals are adhered to and OEM materials are used. When I bought my car I did not enter into any contractual service agreements and wouldn't buy a car that required me to do so.
I think this topic has got "out of hand" and a simple question of how do you turn off the service light deserves a simple answer. Unfortunately at the moment I dont know what it is but I have an ELM due this week and if it works I will let you know.

The following 2 users liked this post by qman3428:
Angus (04-14-2015), JimC64 (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=qman3428;1205428 The service records are kept on the computer file for the car and are normally identified by a stamp in the book so reseting the light is not falsifying records!
I have been an engineer for all of my working life and am now about to retire, I prefer doing the service myself because I know what has been done and the standard it has been done too.
Only 2 weeks ago I berated a main dealer for not doing the work he had stamped for in my cars book (he agreed they had done it wrong) so a main dealer history is not proof the work has been done to the standard required.

A simple question of how do you turn off the service light deserves a simple answer. .[/QUOTE]

Agree and as I stated, "falsifying records" comment is OTT and out of line in my opinion too.

On my previous A6 and before I got into taking care of some things myself / using dealer and or Indy I found out that a service, could be basically an oil change and light reset.
The air filter and fuel filter were on the car for 40k miles!!
After that I changed them every year myself, no matter what else was done. Totally agree that some people swear by a "FULL SERVICE HISTORY" which isn't necessarily all its cracked up to be.

Re the dealer and work stamped, but not done......been there too, never again.

As I stated too, a simple question, a simple answer, the rest was just not called for in my opinion.

Fishnmagician (02-02-2017)
Old 04-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Per the Federal Trade Commission website:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

"The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.
Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car."

If anyone knows of a tool that turns off the service light after servicing the Jaguar XJ, I would appreciate any info on it. Just a FYI, there is a manual procedure to turn the service light off on the 2011 XF, but I can't find any information for the XJ.

Fishnmagician (02-02-2017)
Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Totally agree with the above..

An a quick example, my old VW Passat was around 4 years old when we bought here with partial service history, the next 4 years also saw partial dealer / DIY history, then....
The front wings started to rust quite quickly and quite badly, even though she was cleaned and washed / dried regularly. It turns out to be a common issue ( caused by poor design from new )
I tracked down a tsb saying so and applied for replacements under warranty ( 12 year anti corrosion ) and was denied for several reasons

1. it was under the 3 year paint warranty ( not true )
2. The car not serviced regularly at the dealer
3. It had never had its yearly inspection??

They "offered" 50% goodwill meaning I'd have to pay around £500, then after fighting some it came to 70% goodwill ( I told them what to do with it and would see them in court )

They eventually agreed to give me 100% "goodwill"
I told them you can call it what you want, but we both know its warranty and the £1200 bill became ZERO after a few months of phone calls and emails.

Back on topic - I cannot help with this I'm afraid. I know some cars have a few "pedal tricks" and various other ways of turning it off, but as far as I know, dealer only or code reader

Can anyone help on this??

I'll tweak the title to see if we can get better responses
Good luck

Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Default Service Required Indicator Reset Tool Required

As JimC64 stated above in Post #3, a reset tool/code reader is needed to reset the "Service Required" indicator. This was previously discussed in 2012: click → https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dicator-83984/ In particular, see Brutal's post #5:
"...it has to be hooked up to reset, there is no back door proceedure on the xj and if we techs dont want to go through the time to hook up to a pc(sdd) and reset we have to buy a $150 reset tool to go through the obdii port..... Yeah we're not thrilled either "
The X351 is now over 6 years old, and many questions have been asked and answered on this Forum. Learn to use the search function; your question may have already been asked and answered.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 PM

Stuart, I did read that post. I would be willing to pay $150 for a tool to reset the service message, but what tool is he talking about? Is it an additional tool or a stand alone tool?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

I think that Brutal was saying that there are two ways to do it, the first with the expensive Jaguar diagostic computer that the dealers have and the second with a less costly device that plugs into the OBDII port. To get details of the cheaper device, I suggest that you PM Brutal through the link to his post that I cited above.

Stuart

Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Thanks Stuart, I will pm him

Old 04-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

In my case the dealer apparently "forgot" to reset the service needed message following the last service. I have been living with that message since. It displays when I start the car and I simply click OK to get rid of it. Not a big negative, not worth my own time to return the car to the dealer for just that.

johndahlheimer (04-15-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM

I found the answer. It is a tool called Da-Dongle SIR from diagnostics-associates.

DA-Dongle SIR (Jaguar Land Rover Service Interval Reset) ? Diagnostic Associates Ltd

Thanks for all the help, and thanks to Brutal for the pm

jonesie350 (05-21-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I am still not convinced that 15000 mile oil intervals is the best thing, so I cut it in half. I actually enjoy working on cars because I don't do it for a living. Yes, I brought the engine up to temp and turned off the engine.

All my fluid levels are correct and my shocks Show no signs of leaks. I am surprised they didn't know a few bolts were missing, or they didn't torque them correctly.

Hey mate, question on your post above which I highlighted in bold. Isn't that oil leak something to be concerned about? I am not so mechanically inclined (I'm an Engineer, but a Computer one at that ), so want to make sure that I check this or request my dealer to check it when I next take it for service.

Quick Reply: Turn off service light for oil change - RESOLVED