XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just installed today on my 2012 Jaguar XJL.

Initial impressions:
Pros:
1. Good picture
2. Good sound.
3. Can control AC from front panel relatively easy.
4. Has autosleep function, so that it turns on immediately. Previous aftermarket units didn't have it, and it would take a while to boot.
5. Reverse camera works good, and has picture of radar around the car.
6. Shows when the door is open.

Cons:
1. NO valet function. I looked in every menu and setting, and could not find it. I will continue to look though. Will definitely report back if it is not there.
2. The Sync function in climate control, only works when you push the sync button. In the OEM unit, if you set it to sync, whatever you change changes for the other areas of the car(left, right, front, rear.)
3. Because it uses a two channel MOST for the fiber connection to the amplifier, you can only fade from left to right, not from front to rear. Not a big deal for me, because I never fade anyway.
4. The IAM2.1 Level 3 navi/dvd box has dual fakra connections for the radio antenna. The Android unit only comes with a regular antenna cable. Even though I never listen to the radio, I will go ahead and order an adapter off of Amazon.
6. Hazard lights button does not work. I will try the fix suggested by a member in another thread, about removing the board on that side, and remounting.

Last edited by sgtm7; 06-22-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Just installed today on my 2012 Jaguar XJL.

The IAM2.1 Level 3 navi/dvd box has dual fakra connections for the radio antenna. The Android unit only comes with a regular antenna cable. Even though I never listen to the radio, I will go ahead and order an adapter off of Amazon.
Hazard lights button does not work. I will try the fix suggested by a member in another thread, about removing the board on that side, and remounting.
Thanks for the write up. I appreciate it. Where did you find your adapter for the dual fakra connections.

Also what’s the other board that you’re working through the hazard light issues?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by demiroquai
Thanks for the write up. I appreciate it. Where did you find your adapter for the dual fakra connections.

Also what’s the other board that you’re working through the hazard light issues?
This is what is needed if you have the IAM2.1 Level 3 navi/dvd unit.
Amazon Amazon

The board I am referring to on the Android head unit, is directly behind the switches on the unit. There is a small board on the right hand side and the left hand side. You can easily see the small philips screws that need to be removed.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:30 AM

Update:

Definitely no valet function. Hazard lights still not working. I can not remove the small board in front of those switches, because it appears that in addition to the 3 screws holding the board, I also need to remove the dial that is attached to it, and I can't find a nut or screw on the dial. I have gained some things, and lost some things with this "upgrade". I will keep it in for now, but not sure if it will become a permanent installation. I have never seen a car without hazard lights, so I think working hazard lights might be a requirement to pass my annual safety inspection. So I might have to swap out the system next year, just to pass my inspection.

I am not disappointed with the unit, but I am not completely happy either. If I could get the hazard lights to work, I would definitely keep this unit installed.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Can you post pictures of your install?
I would love to see any you have.

Still running the original Android 10.25" screen in my 2014 with no problems almost 2 years in so OK. But it needed a few things too.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Thanks for the update.
Can you post pictures of your install?
I would love to see any you have.

Still running the original Android 10.25" screen in my 2014 with no problems almost 2 years in so OK. But it needed a few things too.
My first Jaguar was an XF SV8. It came with back up camera, adaptive cruise control, etc. I found the stereo system as acceptable, and the same with the navigation, which I was able to update with disk. When I bought my XJL Portfolio, I incorrectly assumed that it would have the same features and options as my SV8. It had no back up camera. No back up camera is a big issue when you are used to having it in your vehicles. The navigation was also too outdated to be useful, and my attempt at updating ended in a non-working navigation. So upgrading to an Android system was the logical solution, as I had installed Android head units in all my other cars with the exception of the XF I owned before. This will be the third Android head unit I have installed in this XJL. The first two were the smaller style, that required removing two circuit boards from the OEM head unit and installing into the Android head unit, which enables you to keep all of the OEM functions.

This is the Tesla style head unit installed in the XJL, with the app Car Launcher Pro used as my launcher. Lots of different themes available from Car Launcher. I am using the leather theme here.

This is just an example with what I meant about Car Launcher Pro looking different with the larger Tesla style unit. This is how the leather and similar themes will look on smaller screens.

Last edited by sgtm7; 06-27-2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello guys i have jaguar xj x351 and i bought and installed android navigation unit from china. the problem is that i have sound only from one speaker - left. and if i select on oem screan aux input? actually i have only 2 optical cables in oem unit ping and dark red the other two are missing. im not sure if thats the problem. jaguar xj x 351 2010.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screen update

The trick would be to find a shop that would be willing to perform the installation..

Old 10-13-2021, 07:52 AM

Hello to all happy Chinese Android owners.
I also installed a radio from the Aotsr company.
I found a lot of needed information and help here.
However, there are a couple of issues that bother me.
Do you know where and if there is a menu where we can change the settings of the buttons on the steering wheel? For example, YTMusic changes the track when I press the volume control on the steering wheel.
Is there any other secret menu besides Factory Settings?
There is no android screen in my unit, there is an App "tile" where I can install various apps.
Exactly where can I change these "tiles"?
In the factory settings, if I change the language from English to my native Polish, after restarting the system I have English again, this is not a problem, but for some reason the system does not remember the settings.
Is it possible for the radio to remember the last display settings? e.g. after restarting the car so that the navigation or YTMusic would be displayed immediately?
Thank you very much for all the information

Old 10-14-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by drumstarr
The trick would be to find a shop that would be willing to perform the installation..
I couldn't find a shop that would do the install in my location. I have the wiring diagram for my car though, and it turned out to be one of the easiest installs I have ever done.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this only work with if you have the stock Bosch audio or would also work with B&W or Meridian system too? Since it works with 2010 & up, I’m guessing the Denso system isn’t a factor. I am SO interested in getting one. I can live without hazards if that’s the only issue. But would hate to lose seat massage

Old 10-21-2021, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by CptChaos
Does this only work with if you have the stock Bosch audio or would also work with B&W or Meridian system too? Since it works with 2010 & up, I’m guessing the Denso system isn’t a factor. I am SO interested in getting one. I can live without hazards if that’s the only issue. But would hate to lose seat massage
With the Tesla style unit, other than the environmental control functions, you won't maintain any OEM functions that were accessed through the OEM screen. I couldn't say for sure, but I would think the massage function doesn't fall under the environmental. I have uninstalled the Tesla style unit, and reinstalled the Android unit that requires removing two of the boards from the OEM unit and installing into the Android head unit. That unit allows maintaining all OEM functions. If I had only lost one thing, it would have been okay, but I lost access to the valet function, access to my Ipod and USB connection in the center console. The hazard lights are not a function accessed through the screen, so more than likely a replacement unit would have solved that problem, but that along with the OEM functions, pushed me toward just putting the other unit back in. I would have had to get the hazard lights working before my next annual inspection is due.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:01 PM
Default Heating problems...

I just installed my android 10.25 unit on my x351xj. It works fine but after some usage ot gets hot and the youtube videos are stating to be jerky. Why is that ? It might be the cooling pipe of the car not working (see photo)? How do i find if this is working or not ? When should it blow air ? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I noticed that when I did the install. So Jaguar definitely was concerned about heat build up in the stock electronics. There are no valves or flappers that I can find on those ducts. It's just a branch off the dash ducts so gets the same air as what's coming out the dash vents? Just a guess but I had things pretty far apart doing the Android head install. Instrument panel out, navigation screen out, entire console out. There is another duct that blows directly behind the instrument panel too.

Maybe try turning up (Temperature down) the AC? I live in a very hot place and have never had any heat related issues with my Merryway unit. I have had it for several years now.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:47 PM

Yes I noticed that when I did the install. So Jaguar definitely was concerned about heat build up in the stock electronics. There are no valves or flappers that I can find on those ducts. It's just a branch off the dash ducts so gets the same air as what's coming out the dash vents? Just a guess but I had things pretty far apart doing the Android head install. Instrument panel out, navigation screen out, entire console out. There is another duct that blows directly behind the instrument panel too.

Maybe try turning up (Temperature down) the AC? I live in a very hot place and have never had any heat related issues with my Merryway unit. I have had it for several years now.
Thanks for the reply. No air is comeing out of that duct vent. Even if i start AC or something. That's why i am asking, maybe someone knows when it should blow air or where the blower is. If i can find some diagram lr something, i think it will be helpfull. Maybe the blower is broken. If you use navigation and many apps you will feel the screen itself hot by touch. It is not good to heat itself like that. This is my second 10.25 android device put on this car. The first one fried itself by the heat in like hours...

Old 04-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

OK that changes things! I had the car apart so never powered up the AC to check if there was airflow. So your in uncharted territory here?
Maybe there is something in the shop manual? Now you have me wondering if I have any air flow out those ducts?

After some time researching this I have found a little bit of information but the entire system seems to be unknown?
Here is a diagram from the shop manual showing the instrument panel cooling ducts.

Now note item 4 as it's called an Instrument Panel cooling fan. So maybe just airflow with no additional cooling/heating?
I think you need to get the car hooked up to SDD. There are several or more codes associated with that cooling fan.

Here are 3 possible errors. Note what I underlined in red. Possible broken ground wire.

It's called the instrument panel cooling fan but look at the duct going to the right from behind the IP. I "think" that is the vent that blows on the back of the Navigation/HVAC center panels that is getting hot on your car. Finally found the part number too!

This is C2D7495 and I have found them used on EBay for under $100 including the ducts.
Here is an actual picture of the assembly.

I also found just the blower on EBay used for under $50. With the lack of information on this blower it must not fail very often so I would be OK installing a used part.

Here is a description of how the system works and note the mention of the 10A fuse in the CJB (Central Junction Box).

Since you have installed an aftermarket center screen note the following in the above paragraphs!

The TSD (Touch Screen Display) MUST send a signal to the IP to control the cooling fan BUT you have removed the factory TSD and replaced it all with aftermarket. I don't think you can fix this problem and it's just one of the things you lose with that kind of replacement. I think you will have continuing heat problems until the unit fails completely. It's just how electronics work and Jaguar would not have installed such a complicated and expensive system unless it was needed.

Again I recommend the Merryway unit over the other big screens because it requires you to install 2 boards from the factory front end. This keeps EVERYTHING working that was in the stock XJ. This was an absolute requirement for me when I consider upgrades.

Now one hail mary pass to fix this and it would be a hack suggestion? Just wire the blower to a 12V source so it's always on anytime the car is on. Only problem with that is again note the blower is a variable speed blower run in PWM over the CAN bus. You no longer have access to any of that. I don't know what the fan would do if just wired straight to 12VDC 100% of the time? Might be worth a try?

Last edited by clubairth1; 04-11-2022 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:46 PM

OK that changes things! I had the car apart so never powered up the AC to check if there was airflow. So your in uncharted territory here?
Maybe there is something in the shop manual? Now you have me wondering if I have any air flow out those ducts?

After some time researching this I have found a little bit of information but the entire system seems to be unknown?
Here is a diagram from the shop manual showing the instrument panel cooling ducts.

Now note item 4 as it's called an Instrument Panel cooling fan. So maybe just airflow with no additional cooling/heating?
I think you need to get the car hooked up to SDD. There are several or more codes associated with that cooling fan.

Here are 3 possible errors. Note what I underlined in red. Possible broken ground wire.

It's called the instrument panel cooling fan but look at the duct going to the right from behind the IP. I "think" that is the vent that blows on the back of the Navigation/HVAC center panels that is getting hot on your car. Finally found the part number too!

This is C2D7495 and I have found them used on EBay for under $100 including the ducts.
Here is an actual picture of the assembly.

I also found just the blower on EBay used for under $50. With the lack of information on this blower it must not fail very often so I would be OK installing a used part.

Here is a description of how the system works and note the mention of the 10A fuse in the CJB (Central Junction Box).

Since you have installed an aftermarket center screen note the following in the above paragraphs!

The TSD (Touch Screen Display) MUST send a signal to the IP to control the cooling fan BUT you have removed the factory TSD and replaced it all with aftermarket. I don't think you can fix this problem and it's just one of the things you lose with that kind of replacement. I think you will have continuing heat problems until the unit fails completely. It's just how electronics work and Jaguar would not have installed such a complicated and expensive system unless it was needed.

Again I recommend the Merryway unit over the other big screens because it requires you to install 2 boards from the factory front end. This keeps EVERYTHING working that was in the stock XJ. This was an absolute requirement for me when I consider upgrades.

Now one hail mary pass to fix this and it would be a hack suggestion? Just wire the blower to a 12V source so it's always on anytime the car is on. Only problem with that is again note the blower is a variable speed blower run in PWM over the CAN bus. You no longer have access to any of that. I don't know what the fan would do if just wired straight to 12VDC 100% of the time? Might be worth a try?
You are a star ! Very helpfull details. Now i can start the search of the blower. I will connect it to 12v directly. I hope CAN will not "say something". Thanks man, i appreciate 🤗

Old 04-12-2022, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

One thing I would ask is I have had all that apart and can't remember seeing any blower? It's never even been mentioned that I can find either. Very little about the system and no people complaining about hot dash boards or failing navigation screens either?

Can you post a picture of the blower in place? It has to be mounted on the left side of the steering column down low. I have had that big panel under the steering column off numerous times and must be blind because I just have never seen this? You got me curious about the whole setup!

Old 05-02-2022, 01:50 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 10.25" Android 9 system. The latest "heat" issues are concerning. I'm not clear whether Vladm69's is the Tesla system or the original Android head unit. Has anyone else had heat issues with the Android unit?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

If you don't have an aftermarket head unit that requires you to install the 2 boards from the factory unit. Then yes you have no way to turn the instrument cooling fan on anymore.
I don't think any of the other units outside the Merryway one can activate the cooling fan like the factory Nav screen can. I have not heard back from Vlad yet? Sounded like he was going to try and rig something up.
Maybe a simple 12V power connection to the cooling fan will get it working? Or maybe not?

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?