XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Hi Redmen great post and you got yours way quicker than me as I am still waiting for it to arrive.

Yes please post what you can to help with the install. I have heard about the 4G problem so glad you got it to work but would be interested if you could post what settings you did change to get it working?
Especially a picture of the connector installed wrong because that would cause it to be shipped back to China and it just to far to do that!

Are you using it now?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Kim (and all...)
Here is the schematics I made. This is 2011 Jag XJ with Bosch head-unit and resistive LCD.
All the connection I wrote has double-checked - except USB and LIN-BUS. USB has not measured 1-by-1 as dedicated cable is provided, and LIN-BUS is Jag's spec communication to CentralJunctionBox.

Please let me know if you have a different year or different options.

I also have the factory code for entering "factory settings" but I would like to have some help from an expert of ANDROID (especially 9). May be we could help to others.

Also I was thinking about offering some extra to the supplier or the manufacturer to help perfect customisation. If many users offer a smaller amount it could be enough for them. May be...

As I wrote: a correct manual would be helpful.

Attached Files

Last edited by Redmen; 03-31-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hi Redmen great post and you got yours way quicker than me as I am still waiting for it to arrive.

Yes please post what you can to help with the install. I have heard about the 4G problem so glad you got it to work but would be interested if you could post what settings you did change to get it working?
Especially a picture of the connector installed wrong because that would cause it to be shipped back to China and it just to far to do that!

Are you using it now?
Hi,
Yes - I am using it.
It is grate. Most of the functions are OK. Only a few think I would like to mod:
Original Jag factory revers camera is a bit dark: a brightness correction-option would be grate.
The LCD brightness does not controlled by the original Jag brightness (no darkening when auto-headlights works and also no change when I set brightness in the car.)
Side buttons with the original Jag display work just partially. I found several options for it (1 to 10 but non is perfect for XJs). If we would have codes for it I have programmer for Android who could help, but we have to know Jag's bus protocol too.
Also that would be useful if not just revers camera can be displayed automatically, but all other displayed message comes to the original screen. (But this is just minor...)

Old 03-31-2020, 10:33 AM

OK. Here is a shut of the mainboard I made when messaging with Andy (the support man of Canavie Technologies).

Ther is a blue Ariel/antenna connector, but 4G is working with the other connector.
Also there are an orange and a yellow ribbon connectors. What are them for?
If they are useful may be we could use them.

Waiting for any help or idea...

Old 03-31-2020, 10:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

@Redmen Thank you very much!

I have some questions. If the physical-button(menu, phone, navigation...) pressed while Android mode(MerryWay's) work, what is displayed on the screen? And, does it require some wires modifications for install? According to other YouTube's example, included connector seemed to be ready to use without any modifications.

Physical buttons 15MY XJ

Sample

Best Regards,
KIM

Last edited by gloriashield; 03-31-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by gloriashield

I have some questions. If the physical-button(menu, phone, navigation...) pressed while Android mode(MerryWay's) work, what is displayed on the screen? And, does it require some wires modifications for install? According to other YouTube's example, included connector seemed to be ready to use without any modifications.

Physical buttons 15MY XJ

Sample

Best Regards,
KIM

Hi,
My car has the older system, so there is no PHONE or NAV button but when MENU is pressed the original JAG main menu comes to screen (if the JAG main display screen is active).
If another Android screen is active no change on screen, but in the background the original Jag screen comes.
I have no idea about extra wiring...

Old 04-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gloriashield

Best Regards,
KIM
The unit I have is an older one I got around August 2019. I am assuming the basic operation is still the same. Physical buttons that would operate the OEM screen only display what you pressed when your are in the OEM screen. When in the Android screen, OEM buttons don't display on screen. The volume, climate control buttons etc. work, but they won't pop up on screen to show your adjustments.

On universal Android head units, there is usually a key mapping app where you can assign buttons, and make them do whatever you want them to do. They even allow you to assign different functions for long press or short press. It is what I have done in the 4 universal android units I have had in other cars. Because of the way the units designed for the Jag operate(using the motherboards from the OEM unit), I don't think it would be possible. I would be hesitant to even download the app to try it.

Last edited by sgtm7; 04-01-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Redmen
Hi,
Yes - I am using it.
It is grate. Most of the functions are OK. Only a few think I would like to mod:
Original Jag factory revers camera is a bit dark: a brightness correction-option would be grate.
The LCD brightness does not controlled by the original Jag brightness (no darkening when auto-headlights works and also no change when I set brightness in the car.)
Side buttons with the original Jag display work just partially. I found several options for it (1 to 10 but non is perfect for XJs). If we would have codes for it I have programmer for Android who could help, but we have to know Jag's bus protocol too.
Also that would be useful if not just revers camera can be displayed automatically, but all other displayed message comes to the original screen. (But this is just minor...)

I don't have an issue with the brightness of the reverse camera on mine, maybe because my Jag didn't come with OEM camera, and I have aftermarket one. Don't understand what you mean by the side buttons only work partially.
Yes, it is annoying not to be able to see the volume control or climate adjustments when you are in the Android screen.

Question for you. Is there an option for "fast boot" or "auto sleep" in settings? This is the only option that would make me upgrade my Android 7 unit, to the newer Android 9 unit.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by sgtm7
The unit I have is an older one I got around August 2019. I am assuming the basic operation is still the same. Physical buttons that would operate the OEM screen only display what you pressed when your are in the OEM screen. When in the Android screen, OEM buttons don't display on screen. The volume, climate control buttons etc. work, but they won't pop up on screen to show your adjustments.

On universal Android head units, there is usually a key mapping app where you can assign buttons, and make them do whatever you want them to do. They even allow you to assign different functions for long press or short press. It is what I have done in the 4 universal android units I have had in other cars. Because of the way the units designed for the Jag operate(using the motherboards from the OEM unit), I don't think it would be possible. I would be hesitant to even download the app to try it.
I don't have an issue with the brightness of the reverse camera on mine, maybe because my Jag didn't come with OEM camera, and I have aftermarket one. Don't understand what you mean by the side buttons only work partially.
Yes, it is annoying not to be able to see the volume control or climate adjustments when you are in the Android screen.

Question for you. Is there an option for "fast boot" or "auto sleep" in settings? This is the only option that would make me upgrade my Android 7 unit, to the newer Android 9 unit.
Hi sgtm7,

Answers 1-by-1:

Functions (commands) from Android to Jag's system:
I think aftermarket app can not controll any function thru Jag's CAN or LIN BUS, so custom-defined function can not be set with any app. BUT I would try it out - please let me know what app you used in the other head-units.

Side buttons:
I know F-type has but XJ does not have physical buttons in the sides of the OEM screen (just below, on the control panel). The Android screen has virtual buttons (4+4 of them) when Jag's original screen is displayed. From the 8 virtual buttons the "HOME" works (shift back to Android main screen), "MODE" works (switch thru sources - as the MODE button on steering wheel), "PARKING AID" button lit up when reserving gear active but not commanding on or off.
All other virtual buttons do not nothing.

"Fast boot" or "auto sleep"
There is no options like this.
Actually I have no idea how it works: sometimes I enter the car, start engine and Android unit boot up normally (slow boot - about 20-30 sec.) but sometimes it is just on immediately with the dashboard. (I have only a week experience).

Hopefully it helps you...
Regards
Gab

Old 04-02-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Good info Redmen!
Keep it coming. I just was notified my unit is in the US so I should be seeing it within 4-5 days or so.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Default 10.25 Android boot-up

Hi guys,

Some of you asked me about the new look of boot (Jaguar and Android logos, animation, how fast it is, etc) so here is a short video:
That time I made the video the unit had the short-boot-up, so I do a restart from system settings menu. This 2nd one is the long bot-up. There is a 3rd one: fast-on after sleep.
Sorry - I have not figured it out why the unit do 1 or 2 or 3 type of boot. (when battery was disconnected long-boot was done all the time.)
Experinences will come hopefully...

Last edited by Redmen; 04-03-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Hi guys,

Some of you asked me about the new look of boot (Jaguar and Android logos, animation, how fast it is, etc) so here is a short video:
That time I made the video the unit had the short-boot-up, so I do a restart from system settings menu. This 2nd one is the long bot-up. There is a 3rd one: fast-on after sleep.
Sorry - I have not figured it out why the unit do 1 or 2 or 3 type of boot. (when battery was disconnected long-boot was done all the time.)
Experinences will come hopefully...

Sorry but the video does not want to upload. Advise me how can I pst it.... THX

I checked previous videos - so here it is:

Gab

Last edited by Redmen; 04-03-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the popcorn all ready too. Lol. I'm curious see to what these boot up screens look like.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 AM

Well I guess I might be spending around another $1000. The Merryway unit I bought from Kanor has a problem, after 8 months with no problems. About a week ago, I was sitting around in home quarantine, nothing to do. I decided to go ahead and pull my stereo out to access my USB connection, and connect and download some music from my USB drive onto the headunit. Was able to do it. Worked great. After reinserting the head unit, my display no longer responded to touch. I completely removed it, inspected the boards, the harness, etc., and didn't find anything wrong. I would pull it out, then push it back in. I got it to work a few times, but it wouldn't stay fixed. Made me seriously think a faulty wire/harness, but couldn't find anything. I did think I had found the problem at one time. I thought it was because the wifi connector wasn't attached to the case like the gps connector is. So that means the wifi connector is not grounded. It has been like that since I got it, but I was grasping at straws. So I figured out a way to keep the connector inside the hole, and then checked continuity to make sure it was grounded. I hooked everything back up. It worked! I had been fooled before, thinking I had fixed it when it wasn't inserted completely. So I pushed it completely in. Still working!! Yippeee! That was about a week ago. Today was the first day I was going to drive the car again. Started it up. Broke again!!! And since the last time I used it was in the Android screen, the only thing I can do is change the mode from the music player, to the radio.

Went to Aliexpress, and checked the warranty info. Found this very important sentence: All of our autoradio 2 din have 12 monthes warranty from the date of delivery.The warranty is not including buyer's installation,accident,incorrect wire,wrong voltage etc.

So in other words, because it was installed by the buyer(me), I don't have a warranty. This is despite the fact, that there is no place around here that are competent enough, or would be willing to install this unit, so I had no choice but to do it myself.

Before I order another one, I am going to reinstall the factory headunit, to be sure it isn't one of the OEM boards causing the problem. 'When I do order, I will be going with Canavie this time. Based on comments made in this thread, they seem to offer better customer service than Kanor. Hell in fact, any customer service I got with the head unit during and after installation, came from Merryway rather than Kanor.

Last edited by sgtm7; 04-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

@Redmen

Thank you for posting your video. Is it using Android 9? (Booting speed is not good.. too slow...)

It seems to be more uncomfortable than I thought. Because XJ needs many settings on the stock-display. Audio, climate and seats...
However, I ordered the product a few days ago for my friend. He wants to change navigation. (Car-Play also wants)

Are you satisfied?

Regards,
KIM

Last edited by gloriashield; 04-03-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Well I guess I might be spending around another $1000. The Merryway unit I bought from Kanor has a problem, after 8 months with no problems. About a week ago, I was sitting around in home quarantine, nothing to do. I decided to go ahead and pull my stereo out to access my USB connection, and connect and download some music from my USB drive onto the headunit. Was able to do it. Worked great. After reinserting the head unit, my display no longer responded to touch. I completely removed it, inspected the boards, the harness, etc., and didn't find anything wrong. I would pull it out, then push it back in. I got it to work a few times, but it wouldn't stay fixed. Made me seriously think a faulty wire/harness, but couldn't find anything. I did think I had found the problem at one time. I thought it was because the wifi connector wasn't attached to the case like the gps connector is. So that means the wifi connector is not grounded. It has been like that since I got it, but I was grasping at straws. So I figured out a way to keep the connector inside the hole, and then checked continuity to make sure it was grounded. I hooked everything back up. It worked! I had been fooled before, thinking I had fixed it when it wasn't inserted completely. So I pushed it completely in. Still working!! Yippeee! That was about a week ago. Today was the first day I was going to drive the car again. Started it up. Broke again!!! And since the last time I used it was in the Android screen, the only thing I can do is change the mode from the music player, to the radio.

Went to Aliexpress, and checked the warranty info. Found this very important sentence: All of our autoradio 2 din have 12 monthes warranty from the date of delivery.The warranty is not including buyer's installation,accident,incorrect wire,wrong voltage etc.

So in other words, because it was installed by the buyer(me), I don't have a warranty. This is despite the fact, that there is no place around here that are competent enough, or would be willing to install this unit, so I had no choice but to do it myself.

Before I order another one, I am going to reinstall the factory headunit, to be sure it isn't one of the OEM boards causing the problem. 'When I do order, I will be going with Canavie this time. Based on comments made in this thread, they seem to offer better customer service than Kanor. Hell in fact, any customer service I got with the head unit during and after installation, came from Merryway rather than Kanor.

Hi,
I am said to read your story. I am almost 100% sure that the original Jag boards wrk correctly as the symptom you wrote is different.
- the touch layers connects to the mainboard of the Android unit is about 3-5 mm ribbon cable (if you can see back to one of my previous post with the mainboard of the Andro unit, this connector is in the right lower corner of the shut just below the black sticker on the board , to the right from the orange rectangle. - May be your mainboard is bit different as that is an older version but I think the connection almost same). If you have some experience with this kind of connectors and ribbons you can check the connection. In my device the GPS and GSM/4G connector is in the same side so may be that can be the reason it come back accidentally and temporary.

Be very careful as the ribbon cable is fragile...
Hopefully it can help...

As an advise: My USB cable goes to beside the factory original USB connection in the glovebox in the middle, so a USB drive can easily plugged in .( I used an extra USB extender to have enough length).

Gab

Old 04-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Dear Kim,

Basically yes - I am satisfied. And yes - it is Andro9.

- and yes, a full boot is slow, about 30 sec.
Fortunately only a few times I have to wait for it. Most of the starts are immediate or the 3-5 sec "fast-boot" (the 1st on my video).
Regards
Gab

Old 04-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry but the video does not want to upload. Advise me how can I pst it.... THX

I checked previous videos - so here it is:

https://youtu.be/_aqoBQ7Tn6s

Gab
Gab, good video brother. I think I can handle the boot up times. On your first start-up, that didn’t take too long. The full boot up was a little lengthy, but that beautiful display has to outweigh that. Thanks for posting that!

Old 04-04-2020, 06:56 AM

Hi,
I am said to read your story. I am almost 100% sure that the original Jag boards wrk correctly as the symptom you wrote is different.
- the touch layers connects to the mainboard of the Android unit is about 3-5 mm ribbon cable (if you can see back to one of my previous post with the mainboard of the Andro unit, this connector is in the right lower corner of the shut just below the black sticker on the board , to the right from the orange rectangle. - May be your mainboard is bit different as that is an older version but I think the connection almost same). If you have some experience with this kind of connectors and ribbons you can check the connection. In my device the GPS and GSM/4G connector is in the same side so may be that can be the reason it come back accidentally and temporary.

Be very careful as the ribbon cable is fragile...
Hopefully it can help...

As an advise: My USB cable goes to beside the factory original USB connection in the glovebox in the middle, so a USB drive can easily plugged in .( I used an extra USB extender to have enough length).

Gab
Thanks for the tip. I checked to make sure that ribbon cable was tightly connected, but I will double check it again. Yeah, I was doubtful that the problem was with the OEM boards, but better to verify to be sure, rather than to order a new unit only to find out the Android headunit wasn't the problem. In any case, I need some kind of stereo in there until I get another one.

In regards to the USB cable? Normally, I route the USB cable from Android headunits into the glove box. I didn't do it with this car for two reasons: 1. I didn't really need it, because I already have a USB connection with the OEM system. That is why I didn't do it for 8 months, and only did it because I was sitting around the house on quarantine doing nothing. 2. On other cars, snaking the cable into the glovebox was quite easy. With the Jaguar, it is built pretty good, and getting into the glove box is not straight forward, and will probably require removing the glove box.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

SGTM7 from what I have been reading it's possible to add fastboot to an Android device?
Would this be possible?
Fast Boot

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?