XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Yes. Pretty much any Android app can be downloaded from other sites as an apk file. The xda developer website has links for it. Ignore the one from the playstore, link isn't good anymore. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2670903
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately no result: the latest is v1.9. It installs differently. Loads in, can set all options, but then still nothing (when I cut off ignition Android unit switches off immediately.)
Later I will try the other versions too..

Old 04-11-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Okay. Got it. Don't know if the port puts out enough power to split off and run two devices, but I suppose for the price, it is worth a try. I am not sure what you mean by ODB2/BUS data-trap. If you are talking about monitoring and running diagnostics through the ODB port, if you haven't already bought a device that interfaces from ODB to USB, they also make ODB devices that connect via bluetooth. I have 3 of them(one for each of my cars), and they work great using Torque, ODBLink, etc.
Yes I want run diagnostics. Somehow my bluetooth can not connect any other device then phone (handsfree) and shows an error after 30 sec of boot-up: "Bluetooth share is not responding".
With Andy we are working on it.
If you have any suggestion - please let me know.
Thanks

Old 04-12-2020, 12:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Redmen
Yes I want run diagnostics. Somehow my bluetooth can not connect any other device then phone (handsfree) and shows an error after 30 sec of boot-up: "Bluetooth share is not responding".
With Andy we are working on it.
If you have any suggestion - please let me know.
Thanks
What is the brand of your ODB scanner device? The devices I got from Scantool, use a 6 digit bluetooth paring code, whereas the Android head units would only accept a 4 digit code. So, I always connect the ODB scanner to my phone rather than the Android head unit. Then I have my cell phone in a mount for it from the window. Scantool, claims the latest firmware will do a 4 digit code now, but I don't want to risk it, because the last time I attempted a firmware update, it bricked the ODB scanner. Scantool was good about it, and sent me a new one free of charge, and no need to return the old one, but I would rather not risk it. Since most of the time I am using Waze and listening to Spotify, it actually makes more sense for me to monitor my ODB from the cell phone.

I would suggest you download the app for your cell phone, and see if it works from your cell phone. If it does, my guess would be it is the same circumstance I had, with the bluetooth pairing code length.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Thanks for explaining the 4 digit and 6 digit BT pairing issue.
I did not know about that!

Old 05-05-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Working on the install and found a white plug but nothing to plug into it?

Can someone tell me if this plug on the board goes unused?
The plug circled in green.

Here is the side view of the empty plug.

OEM boards installed in the Android unit OK. Some small differences that make it hard to put the board in as the edge sticks outside the mounting box.
But with some wiggling and pushing I got it to snap in. Not all the stock screws are used because of the edge sticking out.

PS; Andy W/Canavie got right back to me and the answer is that plug is unused on the XJ but is used on Land Rover/Range Rover models. He also stated to feel free to contact him for help.
He also sent me a installation guide but it has nothing to do with installation in the car but set up of the tablet after you get it installed. I have NOT seen this before and have attached it for anyone's benefit.

Attached Files

Last edited by clubairth1; 05-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (09-17-2023)
Old 05-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Got the unit installed. Lots of stuff to take off. I wanted to hide everything if possible.
Some things I don't like;
No chrome on the edge to match the bezel around the shifter. No big deal it looks fine.
Since the screen is wider it covers the mounting screws that the factory 8 inch unit uses. The unit hangs from the bezel only.
The bezel is clipped in so not as solid as stock.

Zero instructions. Plan to study this thread and every other one you can find! Lots of wires/plugs that are not used and marked in Chinese. BUT Andy has been very responsive to my questions as posted above.
I hate taking apart plastic and the screen bezel has 8 clips. 2 are common and have a part number. The other 6 are not serviced separately from the entire bezel assembly!
Of course 3 popped off when prying the bezel out. Found 2 of them and still searching/shopping for the 3rd one! It's the one without a separate part number.

Hard to believe but it worked the first time I turned it on!!
I checked but it said no upgrades available.

I "think" everything is working? I am kind of dumb about the Android stuff so maybe these are easy questions?
I can get WI-fi (shop has wireless) and I paired my Iphone with BT. I have Google Maps working. Does that mean my GPS and 4G antennas are working? Or do I need to drive around some to see if it follows me?

Car is still apart but I could drive it some. The factory screen is pretty much the same which I think is pretty cool.
Please put tape on. It's cheap insurance! I almost had a big scratch because the bezel holds the screen and it's awkward to maneuver it into the dash opening.
The factory stuff is easy since it's just the bezel which is plastic.

I was stumped about the antenna's position and came up with one I had not seen before. I took the speedo panel out and found a nice Al. platform for both of them behind the panel. The dash is plastic and leather with windshield straight above it so should get good coverage?

You get a very long bit of cable with both of these antenna's. Luckily you can fit it all behind the center stack.

I also took the center console apart to run the Android USB cable. Wanted it neat and think I found a solutions for that too.

Took the factory USB/3.5mm panel out. Will cut out the opposite side for a panel mount USB port. I had read that all XJ's came with 2 USB ports and the panel is molded for 2 but I only have 1?

This will put the Android USB cable right next to the factory USB input.

I ran the USB cable out the drivers side of the center stack and down with the wires by the drivers seat. There is a nice cutout to allow access to the back of the stock USB panel. It's hard to see as it's a bit dark.

This will work good with the 10" cable that the panel mount USB has.

How do you change the temperature units on the android?
I can BT my phone and dial a number from the touch screen but the sound only comes thru the phone?
Do I need to mirror my phone? I found it can do that to.

Can't get any music from the android to play thru the car speakers?
Booting is about 27 seconds from a stone cold car. If you only have the car off for a few minutes the screen is instant on. Sure would be great to have that all the time!!
Is there some setting I should be looking at?

Do I need a SIM card? Up thread I was told which kind to get but do I get just a blank one?
What will it do?

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
QP7 (09-17-2023), wombat (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Clubairth1,

Kudos fella! Great piccs and info.

Every single time that I've driven my wife's F-Pace (with the latest Android/Apple update) I hate my 2012 XJ's interface. Two days later, I couldn't care less.

Please don't get me wrong, I would love to have the new set-up (and a rear view camera that wasn't washed out), just not sure that I would use all the extra toys before I swap out for somethig else next year. Looking at used 575s.

Anyway, congrats on the set-up, and write-ups,

wombat

Last edited by wombat; 05-05-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1

I "think" everything is working? I am kind of dumb about the Android stuff so maybe these are easy questions?
I can get WI-fi (shop has wireless) and I paired my Iphone with BT. I have Google Maps working. Does that mean my GPS and 4G antennas are working? Or do I need to drive around some to see if it follows me?

I don't know about Google Maps, but when using Waze, if there is no GPS satellite lock, it will say so. My unit came with the Android app "GPS Test". You can bring up that app and check how many(if any) satellites you have in view, and how many you have a lock on. If you don't have the app, you can download it to see if you have signal.

I was stumped about the antenna's position and came up with one I had not seen before. I took the speedo panel out and found a nice Al. platform for both of them behind the panel. The dash is plastic and leather with windshield straight above it so should get good coverage?

I have installed quite a few Android stereos on different cars, and have experimented with GPS antenna placement. The best location is outside the car on the A pillar or the roof. The antenna is actually magnetic. I don't know if it is the paint or the material the Jag is made out of, but the antenna has no magnetic attraction to the Jag. So not possible to mount it outside unless you wanted to use an adhesive, which I didn't want to do. From experience, I know that covering the antenna up inside the car will result in weaker signal pickup. I put mine on top of the dash next to the window.

How do you change the temperature units on the android?
I can BT my phone and dial a number from the touch screen but the sound only comes thru the phone?

Do I need to mirror my phone? I found it can do that to.

Can't get any music from the android to play thru the car speakers?

That perplexed me too. I ended up contacted the manufacturer, and then when they told me, I said "Duh!" If you want sound from the Android system, you need to go to the OEM screen and select the "AUX" in the Audio Video selection portion. The same applies to bluetooth audio for the Android head unit. I usually do my bluetooth through the OEM rather than the Android though.

Booting is about 27 seconds from a stone cold car. If you only have the car off for a few minutes the screen is instant on. Sure would be great to have that all the time!!
Is there some setting I should be looking at?

No. Unlike universal Android units which have fastboot/autosleep, these units don't have that. I guess it is a trade off on being able to maintain OEM functions.

Do I need a SIM card? Up thread I was told which kind to get but do I get just a blank one?
What will it do?

The SIM card slot would be for if you wanted to get a data connection through your service provider with it. So no, you wouldn't use a blank one. If you aren't going to get your data connection through it, then there is no need to put something in there. For data, I tether from my cell phone.
These units are a happy compromise between the OEM system and a normal universal Android headunit.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the detailed answers!!
Agree with the antenna advice. Yes the car is AL. so the magnet won't stick to most of it. I just don't like the antennas visible but the factory installed the shark fin on the roof so that's where it should be I guess?
Really a shame no one has figured out how to share the factory GPS signal. It would be great to have a "Y" adapter rather than adding another external antenna. Like they did with the backup camera.
Will try to get that app installed to check the GPS.

I don't plan to use this for data as I have that on my phone so will use tethering and NOT worry about installing any SIM card at this time. Still have not hooked up my car play dongle yet.

Got the GPS app and glad I did. Where I had the antenna there was no signal and I ended up putting it where you did even though it is right in my line of sight.
Music works once I picked the AUX input. The factory music is much louder for the same knob setting compared to the Android unit. There is a base volume setting but seemed to have no effect?

I saw on your thread you had one of the existing circuit boards that stuck out a bit and covered it with tape to prevent anything from shorting out.

I have same problem but somewhat worse and it's tough to fit the unit in the dash because of it. Interferes with the CD player and scrapes on the top of it.The Merryway bezel is pretty flimsy and I am afraid of damage as that's the only thing that holds the unit in the dash. I have E-mailed Andy to ask if I can trim that back for a better fit.

Got the MPH,Ft stuff set correctly but still have 24 clock instead of a 12 hour clock. Very nice sitting in the car with a browser open downloading APK files to install APP's.
I saw you did install the microphone but if I will only use my phone with the factory system I don't need to hook it up?

Can you explain how to change themes? I can't find it.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Wombat you have my attention!
A 575 would be epic and I have never seen one.
I consider that car the pinnacle of the X351 XJ.

Yes I understand what your saying and part of this is because I have been stuck inside for weeks and getting cabin fever pretty bad.
Looking at stereo upgrades too.

It's kinda like the rear seat entertainment stuff for me. I just can't understand why you would want to be in the back seat instead of driving a XJ??

Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi Club,

At the risk of serious thread drift! There are at least four 575s in my local area. Three are 3 in a satin gray and one in velocty blue. I'm not a huge fan of satin colors, and would need to make the wheels silver and not black. Just my taste. The last one at my local dealer went for $35k below list!!!

Once again, congrats on the update.

wombat

P.S. Well aware of the boredom factor, I've just ordered a whole bunch of suspension parts that I don't really need but, what the heck, as long as it gets me out of home schooling a 6 yr old!

Last edited by wombat; 05-07-2020 at 12:40 AM.
QP7 (09-17-2023)
Old 05-07-2020, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the detailed answers!!

Really a shame no one has figured out how to share the factory GPS signal. It would be great to have a "Y" adapter rather than adding another external antenna. Like they did with the backup camera.

They make fakra splitters. Check Ebay or Amazon. Don't know how long it would take for it to arrive with the slow down in shipping due to COVID-19 though.

Music works once I picked the AUX input. The factory music is much louder for the same knob setting compared to the Android unit. There is a base volume setting but seemed to have no effect?

Adjust the Android system volume to max, and then use the OEM volume knob to adjust volume. The volume should then be close to what you get from when you are using OEM music sources. There is also a built in equalizer app, but I use the app "Equalizer FX", and when tuned the way I want it, my volume is probably actually louder than when in the OEM music sources.

I saw on your thread you had one of the existing circuit boards that stuck out a bit and covered it with tape to prevent anything from shorting out.
I have same problem but somewhat worse and it's tough to fit the unit in the dash because of it. Interferes with the CD player and scrapes on the top of it.The Merryway bezel is pretty flimsy and I am afraid of damage as that's the only thing that holds the unit in the dash. I have E-mailed Andy to ask if I can trim that back for a better fit.

Based on the fact you said you have a sharkfin antenna(and I don't), I think your system is a little different than mine. My board was sticking out about the same amount as yours, but it still fits in fine without touching the CD player.

Got the MPH,Ft stuff set correctly but still have 24 clock instead of a 12 hour clock. Very nice sitting in the car with a browser open downloading APK files to install APP's.
I saw you did install the microphone but if I will only use my phone with the factory system I don't need to hook it up?

The Android head unit is just like an Android phone. Google assistant and voice commands, work with that microphone. If you have the Android head unit as your bluetooth/phone connection, then you will need that microphone as well. I really don't need it myself, and have only used those functions to make sure they work.

Can you explain how to change themes? I can't find it.

This was a change with this version. I don't know if I mentioned it, but my last unit had a failure where the display no longer responded to touch. When I contacted the vendor, they said they would get back to me. They never did, so I just bought the newer version(from a different vendor). I needed an excuse to justify upgrading from the previous Android 7 version 2GB/32GB to the Android 9 4GB/64GB, anyway. LOL. With the Android 9 version, it appears they did away with having multiple themes. So stuck with the ugly theme on boot up. Once booted, I switch to Car Launcher Pro app.

This is Car Launcher Pro. They have a free version also, but the Pro version only cost $3, and the Pro version allows you to download and edit themes, like I did with this one by moving the clock and putting a Jaguar logo there. I will probably replace that logo with a better looking one at some time, but I just did a search on the built in browser for "Jaguar Logos", and picked that one. Spotify has switched over to small album art you can barely see when you are in Spotify. I like the way that Car Launcher makes the album art bigger. Also, that $3 fee appears to be for unlimited use, because I have it installed on Android head units in 3 different cars. With my universal Android head units, I have it set to boot up in Car Launcher. With the Jag, you have to go to the apps menu and then open it.

Last edited by sgtm7; 05-07-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

sgtm7 what great answers!!

That Fakra "Y" connector is exactly what I am looking for too (Just did not know what that odd looking connection was called but it's very common these days).
The "Y" cables are under $10 on EBay so will order one. Should get much better reception and no additional external antenna mount too. Currently only getting 18-23 on my GPS Strength app and the scale goes to 100 so I think there is room for improvement?
I wonder if it will cause any issues feeding the GPS signal to 2 devices at the same time? Hope not!

Now I have the wiring diagrams but don't see how to identify which color Fakra goes to what function?
Since the unit comes with a "Y" connector for the rear camera I know that connection but any idea how to decode the other colors?
I can post some wiring diagrams if that will help?

I have some down time as I posted above I lost a clip into the dash when popping the bezel off the touch screen. I had to order a used bezel off EBay that was trashed but still had some of the clips attached. Jaguar does not service those clips separately.

Last edited by clubairth1; 05-07-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Guys,

I installed it, too. However, it is disassembled, now. My country does not use English. Translation is too messy. Anybody know what should I do to forcibly turn on it? (Where is a power connector pin?) If I can turn on the power, I will try to modify a language file. Of course, routing may be necessary. (= Failed)

And ..
  1. I installed a USB hub and USB connector. It works fine. However, the ampere is too low. (Only 1A)
  2. The GPS antenna was installed behind Rear View Mirror. (Because my XJ's windshield is tinted and GPS reception is poor.)

Why .. Why can't it go into sleep mode when I turn off car .. My XJ's black box camera has a voltage checker and when voltage goes below 12.4V, power is cut off and turn off.

Best regards,
KIM

Old 05-10-2020, 04:34 AM

sgtm7 what great answers!!

That Fakra "Y" connector is exactly what I am looking for too (Just did not know what that odd looking connection was called but it's very common these days).
The "Y" cables are under $10 on EBay so will order one. Should get much better reception and no additional external antenna mount too. Currently only getting 18-23 on my GPS Strength app and the scale goes to 100 so I think there is room for improvement?
I wonder if it will cause any issues feeding the GPS signal to 2 devices at the same time? Hope not!

Now I have the wiring diagrams but don't see how to identify which color Fakra goes to what function?
Since the unit comes with a "Y" connector for the rear camera I know that connection but any idea how to decode the other colors?
I can post some wiring diagrams if that will help?

I have some down time as I posted above I lost a clip into the dash when popping the bezel off the touch screen. I had to order a used bezel off EBay that was trashed but still had some of the clips attached. Jaguar does not service those clips separately.
I get GPS strength as high as the mid 30s. I think 18 -23 is good though. Having enough sats in view to get a lock should be good though. What is your accuracy?

I believe the GPS antenna is connected to the back of the CD player. If you look at the label on the top of it, it is labeled as NAVI/DVD. There is a gray fakra connector and a blue fakra connector on the back of it. I believe the gray one is the GPS connection, but I haven't been able to verify if that is the case or not. My Navigation unit doesn't work on my OEM unit, but if yours works you could probably disconnect the cable from the gray connector, and then see if the OEM Navigation still works.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Default 2 GPS Receivers but only One Antenna?

A small update. After getting the FAKRA "Y" cable I found out that GPS antenna's can't be connected this way.
The problem is GPS receivers send a DC voltage back to the antenna to power it. So hooking 2 GPS receivers to one antenna IS possible but with the added complication of
adding a DC block to one of the receivers. Otherwise your putting 2 power supplies working against each other. Not all GPS receivers send the same DC voltage to the antenna which is another complication because I can't find out what Jaguar uses or the Merryway unit uses to power the antenna. If you do this it's possible to short out one or both GPS receivers if you don't find some way to block the second DC source.

This type of setup is common in bigger installations like airplanes and ships. So these types of splitters are out there. They are expensive $200+ and do NOT have FAKRA connections. So again another complication adapting everything back to FAKRA type connectors.

Finally FAKRA connectors come in a large number of configurations (That's really why all the different colors) plus they come in A thru Z versions and are keyed so it gets complicated real quick.

Plug configurations;

Plug Colors;

Since the Jaguar connectors all seem to plug together I think we have the "Z" type or neutral connector.
For me this means I must install the Merryway GPS antenna and have it visible.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Anyone in Florida doing this install??? I’m not bright enough to do it nor do I want to ruin my car!!

Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 AM

A small update. After getting the FAKRA "Y" cable I found out that GPS antenna's can't be connected this way.
The problem is GPS receivers send a DC voltage back to the antenna to power it. So hooking 2 GPS receivers to one antenna IS possible but with the added complication of
adding a DC block to one of the receivers. Otherwise your putting 2 power supplies working against each other. Not all GPS receivers send the same DC voltage to the antenna which is another complication because I can't find out what Jaguar uses or the Merryway unit uses to power the antenna. If you do this it's possible to short out one or both GPS receivers if you don't find some way to block the second DC source.

This type of setup is common in bigger installations like airplanes and ships. So these types of splitters are out there. They are expensive $200+ and do NOT have FAKRA connections. So again another complication adapting everything back to FAKRA type connectors.

Finally FAKRA connectors come in a large number of configurations (That's really why all the different colors) plus they come in A thru Z versions and are keyed so it gets complicated real quick.

Since the Jaguar connectors all seem to plug together I think we have the "Z" type or neutral connector.
For me this means I must install the Merryway GPS antenna and have it visible.
Good information. That is why I was hesitant about just hooking up the OEM antenna to the head unit and seeing if it would work. I came to the conclusion that the CD drive is the navigation unit, because that drive is labeled "NAVI/DVD" on the top of it. Looking at the wiring diagram I am thinking it is the blue, rather than the gray fakra connector on the back of the CD drive. I figure the cable would be the same color on the antenna side as the navigation unit side. Only problem is, the wiring diagram doesn't say how much voltage is coming out of that amp on the antenna.

Last edited by sgtm7; 05-15-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting that diagram!
Did you notice there is no NA or Europe version?
Asia and Japan are the two versions listed so I was not 100% sure that diagram was the same for my car.
I looks like they are wired the same in all markets at least the antenna.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Just installed one today in my 2011 XJ. SIM card from your carrier goes under the silver holder next to the red circled 4G on this board picture .flips out using your fingernail toward the outside of the board. I don't get any function when switching to original display. It's there but unresponsive. They threw 4 of those little silver capacitors 470 25V VT in the box not attached to the board as in your picture. Maybe it was the end of a shift on the production line in China.Lol

Chris32111 (05-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?