XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redmen
Hi sgtm7 and all,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes - I tried all the version of AutoSleeper I found but no function (some are not installs, some do nothing with the system, however I can set everything in the app...)
I decided a different way to have better "start-up" :
I designed a small PCB with optocouplers on it. It checks power on some wires in the car: footwell-light (as it lit up immediately when door opens..), ignition from auto-gear-switch.... And this PCB send power to the Android unit (the unused red wire) - so it powers up immediately gains several seconds...
I will post some pics when ready to use...
Hi again,

I was just looking the schematics of the car and thinking about the functions last evening, and finally I found cigarette-lighter as an option for early powering the unit.
It gets power immediately when doors open and cut power just when central locking closes the car. May be I do not need any opto-coupler and PCB, just a diode to separate circuits.
follow-up comes when ready...

Old 06-18-2020, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I am not 100% sure, but I believe when you have the free version, and you go to the app settings, any options that are only available for the pro version will be indicated. I know that theme editing is a pro version feature, but I can't remember which other ones were.
Hi,
I have the Pro (3.00 is not a big amount...).
I am happy with the tons of options but it would be much faster to manage it / start with it with a detailed manual...

Old 06-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Redman my unit starts booting as soon as the car is disturbed so it might already be looking for power without needing the added PCB?
If I open the trunk by the time I get in the car and start it the Android screen is up and running.

Gloriashield thank you for educating me and I hope you can post some of the advanced things you are talking about?
Booting into the car launcher would be great as would be some kind of hibernate/suspend/fast boot option.
If we could get the sunlight sensor output into the screen brightness and contrast I think it would be much more readable too.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation

Hi guys,

@clubairth1
Unfortunately, fastboot failed. I tried to work directly with android terminal, but I couldn't get root permission, so it's impossible to modify it. It's a failure.

@Redmen
Unit receives two power inputs that one is to be input from IMC and one is to be connected to ACC. I connected ACC to the entertainment. Now booting starts when I open the car door. So I like it because the waiting time is shorter.

And ...

I have a serious problem now.

1. My XJ 2017MY. CAN protocol not visible. So I'm not getting any car data. As far as I know, CAN has changed a little since 2016. Anybody know how can I solve this problem?

2. The GPS reception rate is too bad. The satellite was visible. But the signal was weak. I checked the direction of the GPS antenna and moved to roof. Still, there is no change.

Have a great day!
KIM

Old 07-09-2020, 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=gloriashield;2258916]Hi guys,

@Redmen
Unit receives two power inputs that one is to be input from IMC and one is to be connected to ACC. I connected ACC to the entertainment. Now booting starts when I open the car door. So I like it because the waiting time is shorter.

Dear Kim , (and all)
1 I made the same wiring mod for faster boot. Yes - it is faster but not perfect. - still working on a better solution. (Unfortunately I am not familiar with android as a programmer...)

2. The GPS reception rate is too bad. ...

I exconged GPS antennas: The original antenna signal goes to the Android headunit and the antenna cable comes with the android unit connects to Jag's original GPS unit.
Now I have much faster GPS reception with perfect coverage.
I also bought (already) an external OEM Jag antenna modul (comes with newer Jag XJs and XFs) and I am going to install it to the roof (as it's original place) - so I will have a 2nd GPS receiver with much better reception then the aftermarket GPS antenna in the top of dashboard.

Gabor

Old 07-09-2020, 04:15 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=Redmen;2258952]
Originally Posted by gloriashield
Hi guys,

I exchanged GPS antennas: The original antenna signal goes to the Android headunit and the antenna cable comes with the android unit connects to Jag's original GPS unit.
Now I have much faster GPS reception with perfect coverage.
I also bought (already) an external OEM Jag antenna modul (comes with newer Jag XJs and XFs) and I am going to install it to the roof (as it's original place) - so I will have a 2nd GPS receiver with much better reception then the aftermarket GPS antenna in the top of dashboard.

Gabor
So the OEM GPS antenna works fine with Android head unit? I was going to try that, I just never got around to it, because I get relatively strong fast signals. The only issue is when my car is parked in my covered drive way. Since the OEM antenna is in the back tailgate area on the 2012, it would probably lock on the signal while still parked, whereas with the way I have it now, I don't have a signal until I back out and get on the road.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:27 AM

@sgtm7 @Redmen Thank you for interest my reply post.

My XJL is 17MY. IMC module is in the trunk. If I use OEM GPS, I'll need a very long cable. Do you have GPS problems(weak signal) too?
I thought it was just me. I thought it was a GPS antenna problem. So I tried to buy a new one.

And... was CAN communication possible right away when only the cable was connected? Without any other settings?
Nothing I can do because the CAN's not working. OEM Display is visible.

Best regards,
KIM

Old 07-09-2020, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by gloriashield
@sgtm7 @Redmen Thank you for interest my reply post.

My XJL is 17MY. IMC module is in the trunk. If I use OEM GPS, I'll need a very long cable. Do you have GPS problems(weak signal) too?
I thought it was just me. I thought it was a GPS antenna problem. So I tried to buy a new one.

And... was CAN communication possible right away when only the cable was connected? Without any other settings?
Nothing I can do because the CAN's not working. OEM Display is visible.

Best regards,
KIM
Actually my signal is fine as long as I am out in the open. That is why I hadn't looked any further into using the OEM antenna. Not really a necessity, just something I was thinking about trying.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 AM

Actually my signal is fine as long as I am out in the open. That is why I hadn't looked any further into using the OEM antenna. Not really a necessity, just something I was thinking about trying.
Thanks!

I don't understand. I can see 18 satellites. But the signal is too weak to use. I happened to have an extra antenna so I installed it somewhere else. The symptoms are the same. I tested it by installing an antenna on the roof.

I moved to another place, but it was the same. Why....

Best regards,
KIM

Old 07-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

gloriashield can you post a picture of the added GPS antenna?
Since I have the factory shark fin I am having trouble understanding where it is placed compared to the stock one?
Or did you just put it up to compare signal strength and not a permanent install?

I would contact Andy about the CAN bus problem. My car does read it as posted up thread so I think your right that it's suppose to have it. But my car is a 2014 so older and different.

My Merryway GPS antenna seems to work well but Redman can you tell us what color the GPS antenna lead is on the back of the single in dash CD player?
I know the Merryway unit has a blue GPS connector. I may swap between them to check performance.
It's the Fakra connector on the back of this unit correct?

Thank you for trying the fast boot using the ADB. Just not possible at this moment I guess?

Old 07-09-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
gloriashield can you post a picture of the added GPS antenna?
Since I have the factory shark fin I am having trouble understanding where it is placed compared to the stock one?
Or did you just put it up to compare signal strength and not a permanent install?

I would contact Andy about the CAN bus problem. My car does read it as posted up thread so I think your right that it's suppose to have it. But my car is a 2014 so older and different.

My Merryway GPS antenna seems to work well but Redman can you tell us what color the GPS antenna lead is on the back of the single in dash CD player?
I know the Merryway unit has a blue GPS connector. I may swap between them to check performance.
It's the Fakra connector on the back of this unit correct?

Thank you for trying the fast boot using the ADB. Just not possible at this moment I guess?
@clubairth1

My XJL is 17MY, and the IMC is in the trunk. Display is connected to only one LVDS cable. So my XJL and yours are a little bit different in how to install.

You're right. ADB didn't work. I think there's another way to debug, but there's no way to know. Did you work on anything else for CAN communication?
If I go to the SET menu, there is nothing in CAN.

Best regards,
KIM

Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=sgtm7;2258997]
Originally Posted by Redmen

So the OEM GPS antenna works fine with Android head unit? I was going to try that, I just never got around to it, because I get relatively strong fast signals. The only issue is when my car is parked in my covered drive way. Since the OEM antenna is in the back tailgate area on the 2012, it would probably lock on the signal while still parked, whereas with the way I have it now, I don't have a signal until I back out and get on the road.
Hi, Yes - OEM GPS antenna (I'm my 2011 XJL) is working correctly (and much faster than Marryway's antenna) with Marryway unit. Both GPS connectors are BLUE FAKRA C so I just had to remove from OEM unit and plug into Marryway's (and the aftermarket antenna's plug into the OEM unit).

If you have a separate navigation and/or telematics unit in the trunk than you have to install separate cable to the dash with FAKRA C connectors (in this case you may have VIOLET connector too - FAKRA H).
I had an OEM shark-fin antenna from eBay (originally comes from a later XJ or XF). It has double GPS antenna (one for navi and one for telematics), and also better FM and DAB antenna then my original back-screen type.
I am planning to install is (and related cables too) to it's factory designed place on the roof.

My experience: The OEM antenna is much faster in startup than Marryway's. Also in tall-buildings are it has better coverage.
I expect even better from the antenna "out of the car's metal body'. I post you experience when it works.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Can you post what years the improved antenna is from?
I posted up thread the base from a 2015 XJ. It did have 2 Fakra connectors.
Are they both providing GPS signals?
Does the FM and DAB use a separate connection?

Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Hi friends,

Here is my IMC unit. Anybody know which is GPS? If the OEM GPS antenna has a good reception rate, I'll try to use it.

I found splitter cable on Aliexpress. But I couldn't find the same color connector.

Have a nice day!
KIM

Old 07-30-2020, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buttons

Hey all, just wondering on these Android screens, do you still get the climate control buttons such as heated/cooled seats, massage seats, temp etc? Thinking about upgrading mine but wanted to know. Also do all physical buttons in the car still function? Thanks

Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Andrestephen
Hey all, just wondering on these Android screens, do you still get the climate control buttons such as heated/cooled seats, massage seats, temp etc? Thinking about upgrading mine but wanted to know. Also do all physical buttons in the car still function? Thanks
When you go to the OEM screen, you get all the same controls that you had before the switch. When in the Android screen, none of them are available. All the physical buttons work, but if in the Android screen, you can't see what those buttons are different. For example, when you adjust the volume with the steering wheel, or the knob in the dash, it won't pop up so you can see the change. Same for adjust temperature with the climate control knobs. The temperature changes, but you can't see what you changed it to.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry that the thread got so messy but there is a lot to cover!

I finally got the panel mount USB from china. First one I ordered I waited 6 weeks and had to request a refund. Second one came in about 12 days.
There is a small black panel in the center console that has a DC power point, A USB port and a 3.5mm AUX port. The other side was blank.

I have seen XJ's with 2 USB ports in this panel so my install may not work if you have that setup.
I like the panel mount better than just a loose USB cable going to the Android unit. Took a while to file it to fit and then I super glued the backside too.

This is the last part I had been waiting on and from here on out it's all software! Adding APK's and getting car launch pro. So plenty to do yet.
These are all over EBay as they seem to fit a common Toyota of some kind in the glove box. But it's nice and short about 8" long and the panel mount can be disassembled to give you several ways to mount it.
Cheap at $4-$5.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Smile

This is Car Launcher Pro. They have a free version also, but the Pro version only cost $3, and the Pro version allows you to download and edit themes, like I did with this one by moving the clock and putting a Jaguar logo there. I will probably replace that logo with a better looking one at some time, but I just did a search on the built in browser for "Jaguar Logos", and picked that one. Spotify has switched over to small album art you can barely see when you are in Spotify. I like the way that Car Launcher makes the album art bigger. Also, that $3 fee appears to be for unlimited use, because I have it installed on Android head units in 3 different cars. With my universal Android head units, I have it set to boot up in Car Launcher. With the Jag, you have to go to the apps menu and then open it.
Hi,

I have some questions of your Launcher.

1. How do you get back to the OEM display? Can I connect the icon in the basic launcher?
2. How did you change the white square button style?

Best regards,
KIM

Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hi KIM!
Thanks for all your input. I "think" I can answer part of your question.

To get back to home or to go back just one screen you touch the the grey circle I have circled in red. This opens up with two options. A home icon and an arrow pointing back to the previous screen.

It's hard to see the grey spot depending on what else is displayed on the screen. In this case it covers up the round green/white circle from the car pro launcher.
It also prevents you from touching anything that's under the grey circle which can also be a problem.

Touching home gives you the standard Merryway white home screen.

The icon circled in red is what to touch to give you the stock home screen from Jaguar.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM

To add to the information given above: If the gray button is in a place that often has something else there that you need to access, you can long press and drag that gray button to a different part of the screen.
I am not sure what you mean by changing the "white square button style", but you can change the themes of the launcher by going to the app's settings menu.

Last edited by sgtm7; 08-08-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?