XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Updates to 2012 interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Just spoke to my dealer and he pulled my vin up and there were no enhancements. With all the belly aching about the software in this car for Jaguar not to include 2011's is ridiculous!
Did your dealer acknowledge that there was a hardware/software update for the 2012's? In that case, the question would be can the software be updated without the hardware as a warranty issue.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs down

Spoke to local dealer. A bit curt but he said nothing for the 11s. Called Park Place where I bought it. They said the same and both implied there were significant hardware differences between the 11 and 12s. I do not believe that is correct.

I then called corporate Jag. They said they were well aware of our needs but the updates had not 'trickled down' to our VIN numbers. When I pointed out my vehicle was less than a year old he repeated that they were working on it.

As far as iPhones are concerned he said it was just too hard for them to keep up with updates. I am still having the problem of no audio connection via cable. Only Bluetooth.

Concerns me that Jag is so cavalier with a recent customer. A five year warranty means something to me but my local dealer's smartass comment was that it is not the same as a 'guarantee.' Disturbing.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats's pretty strange that they would do that for the 2012's but not the 2011's. I didnt even know they changed anything for 2012 until I was researching and happended to notice the new buttons on some models. Im still puzzled that there could be significant hardware differences between the 11 and 12s. I wonder if they will start with the 12s and then with the 11s?

I find it funny that Jag doesnt have front fog lights anymore but they have rear fog lights. Does anyone know where the rear fog lights are located? It would be cool if they made the chrome bars in the lower front bumper LEDs... kinda like MB. I just dont think the LED's on the XJ are as visible as the ones on 2012 XF/XK.

Also, in terms of the leather and wheelbases, I wonder why Jag makes so many 'L' models? I want a SC Polaris white or Lunar Grey short wheelbase but they are so hard to find. I like the fact that the 'L' model has the rear door sunshades but since its just me, I dont need the extra room. To current XJ owners, how would you rate the soft grain leather in terms of wear/tear/durabilty. Coming from Lexus, Im pretty impressed w/ the leather in my Lexus but Im not familar with the leather in Jags.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, I feel your pain with the 2011's, but every car manufacturer updates their cars every year without any requirement nor expectation of retro fitting prior model year cars. The fact that it took Jaguar until December to put this update into production doesn't change this situation. I can tell you that I would have been furious if Jaguar had not updated my early 2012 given that I had deliberately waited for a 2012, paid the 2012 premium price, and accepted a reduced warranty. However, if I had decided to purchase a 2011 instead, I would never have expected Jaguar to update my 2011 to the 2012 specs.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barryf43
Guys, I feel your pain with the 2011's, but every car manufacturer updates their cars every year without any requirement nor expectation of retro fitting prior model year cars. The fact that it took Jaguar until December to put this update into production doesn't change this situation. I can tell you that I would have been furious if Jaguar had not updated my early 2012 given that I had deliberately waited for a 2012, paid the 2012 premium price, and accepted a reduced warranty. However, if I had decided to purchase a 2011 instead, I would never have expected Jaguar to update my 2011 to the 2012 specs.
I can understand your point with regard to a physical hardware upgrade not being offered to owners of vehicles from 2011, fair enough. However, it is ridiculous to suggest that a firmware update should not be offered to 2011 XJ owners.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by macperegrine
I can understand your point with regard to a physical hardware upgrade not being offered to owners of vehicles from 2011, fair enough. However, it is ridiculous to suggest that a firmware update should not be offered to 2011 XJ owners.
I agree, especially since most everyone feels that the system is sluggish. Of course Jaguar is under no obligation to do this--car manufacturers are forever "new and improving" their cars in numerous ways as an incentive to trade up, but in light of the obvious deficiency of the system in the 2011's it would have been a nice gesture with little or no cost involved.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 AM

@Jagger11: The rear foglamps are 3 tiny circular units located just below the twin circular reversing lamps in the inboard clear section of the taillamps.
Name:  4fullLEDtaillamps.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  48.6 KB

The tailamps are full LED units,the only halogen bulbs being in the license plate housing.
I believe front foglamps are redundant in the XJ as the DRLs/park light LED's (the horizontal units at the base of the headlights) serve that function, similar to Mercedes bumper mounted LED strips which used to be the mounting for the foglamps.

Last edited by Lexusboy; 04-08-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 AM

XJ virtual instruments simulator :-
Jaguar UK - XJ VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS SIMULATOR

Real fun.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 PM

@Lexusboy...Thank you for clarifying! I would have never known those were the rear fog lights...lol.... I like that they use all LED's on the car... With the rear fog lights, if you use the "auto" function of the headlights, will they stay on after you restart the car?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM

If you twist the stalk to the Auto position the headlights switch on & off automatically,for eg: at dusk, dawn, entering tunnels etc. The lights switch off if the ignition is switched off & they will come on automatically depending on ambient lighting when the car is restarted. The rear fogs have to be switched on/off manually using the button on the lower left of the dash.
By the way which Lexus did you have?

Last edited by Lexusboy; 04-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Hopefully I think I might be able to clear some things up concerning the changes from '11 to '12 screen, considering my situation.

I had a '11 XJL that had engine trouble since day 1 and after 5-6 months later just finally received my '12 replacement (long story but it's in another thread if you want to read).
Bottom line is I have first hand experience with both.

The hardware change: new hard buttons for nav and phone. Seat button moved to below the cd slot. The two arrow buttons are now gone (|< and >|).

The software changes: most buttons are now bigger, because the bottom row of buttons to select nav and phone from most screens are gone. It does "feel" faster" but I believe it is because by default now, the screen change animations are turned off, and the volume animation is turned off. Once i turned those back on, it felt the same. I don't even remember if turning off volume animation was an option on the '11. Another thing I didn't recall on the '11 (check for yourself) was the ability to customize the main menu side buttons. You can choose to customize three of those buttons.

bottom line, as you can see, you really don't want the software upgrade without the hardware upgrade because, you loose the ability to go to nav or phone from most screens, since you won't have the hard buttons.

personally, I miss having the two arrow hard buttons more. i use them all the time to advance quickly to the 2nd or third HD radio station.

I do like the ability to turn off volume animation since it is still just as laggy. IF that can be done on the '11 I don't see much improvement to the '12.

Jaguar, if you are listening, if you are going to remove the bottom row of buttons, instead of making all the buttons bigger, I would have prefer another row of radio presets (6 to 9), without going to a different presets screen.

hope this helps. and let me know if anything else you want know about '11 to '12

The following 2 users liked this post by superflysocal:
Jagger11 (05-02-2012), Jffcurt (05-01-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lexusboy
If you twist the stalk to the Auto position the headlights switch on & off automatically,for eg: at dusk, dawn, entering tunnels etc. The lights switch off if the ignition is switched off & they will come on automatically depending on ambient lighting when the car is restarted. The rear fogs have to be switched on/off manually using the button on the lower left of the dash.
By the way which Lexus did you have?
I have the GS460. I love the way a Lexus V8 sounds when you start it! Im currently in negotiations on a Supercharged XJ. With the automatic lights, is there a delay on how long the lights stay on after you turn the car off? With Lexus, you can have your dealer set them from 30,60 and 90 seconds. I think I have my programmed for 60 seconds. lol

Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagger11
I have the GS460. I love the way a Lexus V8 sounds when you start it! Im currently in negotiations on a Supercharged XJ. With the automatic lights, is there a delay on how long the lights stay on after you turn the car off? With Lexus, you can have your dealer set them from 30,60 and 90 seconds. I think I have my programmed for 60 seconds. lol
There is a delay in turning off the lights if you want it and no need to have the dealer program it. It is enabled directly on the light switch itself. I forget the exact timing of the delay because it is a feature that I do not like personally but there are 2 different delay values possible.

The following users liked this post:
Jagger11 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Just an update - there are 3 settings, not 2 as I indicated earlier and they are for 30 sec, 1 min and 2 min delays

The following users liked this post:
Jagger11 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by superflysocal
Hopefully I think I might be able to clear some things up concerning the changes from '11 to '12 screen, considering my situation.

I had a '11 XJL that had engine trouble since day 1 and after 5-6 months later just finally received my '12 replacement (long story but it's in another thread if you want to read).
Bottom line is I have first hand experience with both.

The hardware change: new hard buttons for nav and phone. Seat button moved to below the cd slot. The two arrow buttons are now gone (|< and >|).

The software changes: most buttons are now bigger, because the bottom row of buttons to select nav and phone from most screens are gone. It does "feel" faster" but I believe it is because by default now, the screen change animations are turned off, and the volume animation is turned off. Once i turned those back on, it felt the same. I don't even remember if turning off volume animation was an option on the '11. Another thing I didn't recall on the '11 (check for yourself) was the ability to customize the main menu side buttons. You can choose to customize three of those buttons.

bottom line, as you can see, you really don't want the software upgrade without the hardware upgrade because, you loose the ability to go to nav or phone from most screens, since you won't have the hard buttons.

personally, I miss having the two arrow hard buttons more. i use them all the time to advance quickly to the 2nd or third HD radio station.

I do like the ability to turn off volume animation since it is still just as laggy. IF that can be done on the '11 I don't see much improvement to the '12.

Jaguar, if you are listening, if you are going to remove the bottom row of buttons, instead of making all the buttons bigger, I would have prefer another row of radio presets (6 to 9), without going to a different presets screen.

hope this helps. and let me know if anything else you want know about '11 to '12

I just wanted to add my final two cents on this subject. During this process, I originally bought a '11 XF. I traded it in for the XJ. When the XJ was out of commision, I was given a '12 XF for a loaner. On the 11'XF, it was the older navigation system, but overall the speed was still usable. On the '12 XF, it was made to made to look similar to the XJ. However, it was awefully slow, very painful to use as a matter of fact. I would rate the speed as '12XJ>='11XJ>'11XF>>>>'12XF

Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Fwiw, the 12 XKR still has the old system and voice is deactivated by the factory.