XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Upgrading speakers and I think I blew a channel - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyS1
These speakers are a bizarre design and when the cone is popped out or the surround is failing the metal coil barely touches the magnet and it causes distortion sounding like a blown woofer. But it's not blown. Similar sound to if the + - wires were barely touching. My driver door was like this and it kept getting worse. If you pull on the Orange surround you'll see it's starting separate from the frame so the issue starts happening. Anyways I swapped all the door woofers and the car sounds amazing. Had to basterdize the old speakers to use as mounts, but they worked perfectly, not one rattle.

The. I couldn't get to the rear deck woofers so I re-glued the surround with speaker surround epoxy and they sound great again too. I had the bowers Wilkins set up.
Is there any issue with the fact hat the stock system is a 3ohm and the aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm?

I saw on the F type forum that the wiring connector for the center channel is in the dash but needs to be turned on trough the systems files. I wonder if this is the same on the XJL since the amp is the same for the 12 and 13 speaker models.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't had 1 day of any type of odd distortion like I used to get intermittently with the stock system. I didn't change or modify anything, just installed 4 Rockford mid bass woofers in all the doors. The sound quality difference is incredible. Also, I can now hear music coming from the rear of the car. With the stock woofers it was almost like they were barely on. Easy update and sounds great. I left all the mids and tweeters alone.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

Can't beat free Philly. I wonder if they are just a little bit quieter and that's why you hear the back speakers more. The 4 ohms should make them play a tiny bit quieter than stock. One of my other cars is notorious for the door speakers corroding from rain getting on them. GM didn't put a cone around them to keep the moisture out. Mines finally started doing it too now. Guess I'll be getting four new speakers soon myself.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

These speakers are a bizarre design and when the cone is popped out or the surround is failing the metal coil barely touches the magnet and it causes distortion sounding like a blown woofer. But it's not blown. Similar sound to if the + - wires were barely touching. My driver door was like this and it kept getting worse. If you pull on the Orange surround you'll see it's starting separate from the frame so the issue starts happening. Anyways I swapped all the door woofers and the car sounds amazing. Had to basterdize the old speakers to use as mounts, but they worked perfectly, not one rattle.

The. I couldn't get to the rear deck woofers so I re-glued the surround with speaker surround epoxy and they sound great again too. I had the bowers Wilkins set up.
I was trying to replicate your setup, but the speakers ended up sounding horrible, possibly because I have the base amp setup, not the B&W.

Luckily, the channel I thought I blew came back to life once everything was back together, which I can't figure out at all. It's as if these cars have a soul or something.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 PM

What speakers did you use?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

What speakers did you use?
The same Fosgate PPS4 - 8"/4ohms that you used. I wish I'd had enough power to make them work, they seemed really high quality.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM

I did some research and it looks like depending on the year/options some xj base systems had a 400 watt and some had 600 watt amps. The bowers and Wilkins option is apparently 1200 watts. It definitely powers these mid bass woofers well. Sorry you went thru all that trouble. But at least you got it all working again.

The following users liked this post:
XJLFTW (12-18-2017)