XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Used 2012 Jaguar XJ Concerns/Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2012 Jaguar XJ Concerns/Questions?

So I am looking to buy a used XJ for my wife. It's a 2012 with 35K on it. Looking to hear more from XJ owner in regards to their experiences with car... I have a few questions....

Looking Ballpark costs to get the following services done at dealership -
Oil Changes?
Routine Maintenance (45K Services and up)

The Jag dealer has offered me a maintenance package for $3450 for 3 years and an extended warranty for 8yrs/100K for $4950. Thoughts? Is it worth?Should I get both or one or the other?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

How much do they want for the car?

The maintenance package seems to be a bit bullshit. Oil changes are yearly (Or every 15,000 miles) and cost around $150-$200 per.

The 8 year(!)/100k warranty intrigues me. Is that 100k on top of the 35k or only 65k miles? Do you plan on keeping the car for that long?

8 years would put you at 2024 when the car is 12. You're more than likely going to have to change out a few components on it before then, and it very well could pay for itself. The water pump on this car likes to grenade itself at random times and can run around $1000 to repair with labor costs. If it was me I'd do it, or maybe ask if they can do 6 years 100k miles.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM

They priced it at $36,500. The warranty extends it by 65,000 miles. I'll get rid of the car before 100k miles.

The dealer told me oil changes are $300+. Think they were wrong?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dwc412
They priced it at $36,500. The warranty extends it by 65,000 miles. I'll get rid of the car before 100k miles.

The dealer told me oil changes are $300+. Think they were wrong?
I haven't yet taken mine in for an oil change but I've seen a few posts on here saying it varies. An independent Jaguar shop should do it a lot cheaper than $300.

$5k seems to be a lot for what I've seen others say they got, but it is that peace of mind. $36,500 is a good deal (IMO). Maybe try to get them to do the warranty and car for $40,000?

I would also check to see if the water pump has been replaced. If not, it's more than likely going to need it soon. Mine was bad when I bought it and was replaced a day after I bought my 2011.

The following users liked this post:
dwc412 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM

I've got a trade in so hopefully I can walk away with a low note! Thanks a lot for your help bro. How has your XJ treated you so far?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Personally, I'd pass on the pre-paid maintenance package... they are, at best, a break even deal, and at that price I don't think you'd ever break even! The warranty however, is a totally different story. I don't want to scare you, but my XJL suffered the highly unusual misfortune of a leaking head gasket at 47K miles! That one repair would more than pay for the entire warranty at the price you quoted. I'm not saying you'd have a problem that significant or expensive, but anything's possible. Mine was fortunately covered under the factory warranty. The pricing on those warranties is always negotiable, so haggle for that just as you will the purchase price, the trade-in allowance, and the interest rate on any financing you might do. All that being said, my car has otherwise treated me great and I have never regretted buying it. Good luck!

Dwayne

dwc412 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

dwc, I am in maryland also. I would say to put that money that you are wanting to give to the dealership and save it for your independent mechanic. I do my own oil changes on my 2012 XJ and they are not that hard. The biggest thing is not buying the oil filter locally, but to get it online. Locally they start about $45 and go up to $100. The oil is nothing special (5W-20 full synthetic) which can be gotten at any local auto parts store for around $35 for 7 quarts. I get my oil filter (jaguar filter) online for $16 delivered to my house. Please keep in mind that the dealership price of the oil filter is like $80. So, seeing the dealership ask $300 for does not surprise me.

So, if you don't mind coming down to southern maryland to get some help with your car, let me know. We can get you taken care of in no time.

dwc412 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default 5.0L Motor Oil - Not Just Any 5W-20 Synthetic Will Do

Below are highlights from this thread in the X150 (2007-up XK/XKR) Forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-107516/

Post #4: Here's what the manual says: "Use only 5W-20 engine oil, meeting specification WSS M2C925-A."

Post #6:
here is a extract from the Jaguar training newsletter regarding Castrol. Looks like using anything else could be a warranty problem. Brilliant cash hustle by Jaguar.:

· Stable viscosity for sustainable performance
· Improved engine cleanliness and engine protection
· Better ability to compensate for various driving styles

There are several features your new Jaguar customers should know about:

· The new Castrol oil, SLX Professional 5W-20, is the only oil recommended for the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines
· A service reminder in the Message Center lets the driver know when it's time to change oil
· Service Interval is every 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. It's important that your customers visit your Jaguar dealership yearly for annual service
· The first scheduled maintenance service visit is Complimentary
· Maintenance Interval Message automatically appears when it's time for service
· Checking the oil level is simple using the built-in "digital dipstick" on the car's onboard computer. The new engine does not have a traditional dipstick

The Jaguar/Castrol co-engineered 5.0L engine 5W-20 synthetic motor oil is the only lubricant completely tested to be compatible with Jaguar’s new engine components and other fluids and sealants. No substitutions should be made as the warranty coverage requires the use of the proper Jaguar specified lubricant.

Post #24:
The answer to the original question- why this oil. For those who may still need answer.
Two very important reasons.
1. The radical 5.0 engine design poses some serious challenges to oil. The passages are narrow, pressures and temps are high, and buildup potential is great. In other words, if this oil did not exist, this engine would be designed quite different. Now realize why the pressure is greater than other engines: One of the greatest new technologies to emerge in the automotive world is the CTA cam timing- A Jaguar innovation licensed by Ford!!! Its a Game changer because it increased power, response and efficiency. It relies on higher oil pressure to do the trick. Castrol formulated an oil that would help pull them off. Do you think that its any coincidence Ford also has the same mandatory requirement. Heck, you could use vegetable oil in the other ford engines.

2. Jaguar has been on a secret mission to be in the top 3 of reliability ratings. This oil helped there, it can be punished for a full year under the conditions above. And the results have spoken for themselves, the Germans are plagued with premature carbon buildup on the Direct Injection engines. As is Ford BTW on the non Jaguar design engines. But not Jaguar.

For F sake, use this oil its actually less money than the mobil1 junk because you would have to change it 3 times in that same interval.

Be sure to use only fully synthetic 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS M2C925-A.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
dwc412 (07-09-2016), XJsss (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I fully support Stuart's post. Personally I have a hard time with the 16k (recommended oil change interval on my SuperSport) and have the oil changed at my dealer every 8k as old habits are hard to change. But the point he makes on the oil/engine symbiosis and warranty coverage are IMHO imperative for a long engine life. Sure the water pumps have sucked, but there have been very few engine failures on Jaguars that are properly maintained. While many of the forum members have purchased their XJs used and got great deals, taking a "cheap" approach to maintenance may result in premature failures or refusal of warranty coverage especially on extended service plans as some of them make verification of proper maintenance a reason to refuse coverage. Just my 2 cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
dwc412 (07-09-2016), Stuart S (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:30 PM

So I purchased the XJ yesterday. They Certified it which adds to the warranty so that worked out in my favor. The sun roof popping issue had been resolved already. And hopefully if anything else majors acts up, it will do it within the next two years. Dealer tried to played hardball per usual and lowball me on my trade, but when I got up to walk out they quickly changed their tune (I wasn't going anywhere, but that trick always works). Anything else I should be wary of going forward.

Thermo, I live in Montgomery County by Master Auto in Rockville and they specialize in Jags. They still are charging $160 for the oil change, how the major maintenance is much cheaper there. Appreciate the offer, but I will reach out for your expertise from time to time if you don't mind.

Thanks all for the feedback and great info!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

dwc412, keep your eye out for a black XJ running around. If you see a "Submariner" rear license plate frame, that will be me. Honk and I will see what I can do about pulling over. Not the easiest to do over in that neck of the woods. I end up in Rockville about once a month for various reasons. I know I will be up in the area on the 19th near the hospital.

As for how they get the price of the oil service down can be a factor of a few things. the big one is getting the filters from somewhere other than the dealership. I just picked up OEM filters (from a dealership) via E-bay for $16 each. Still pricey for a filter, but much better than a dealership is wanting They can be gotten for as little as $85 for 6 delivered to your house. But, you have to buy 6 at a time for that price. The other thing can be the brand oil that they are using. Please note that Stuart mentions a very specific oil to use. Because of its specialized use, the price will be reflected in that. You use another full synthetic 5W-20, the cost is less, but this raises issues with what the motor requires to running at 100% and without putting things under undo stress. I have been running my car on other full synthetic (did not know it was that specific of an oil) and I have not noticed any negative effects after 20K miles.

Out of curiosity, which dealership did you go through? I got mine through Annapolis Jaguar and they did the same thing with me on my trade in. Granted, I was also getting a really good price on the car, so, I was expecting the low ball offer. Things ended about where I figured I was going to end up. so, I didn't push the issue too much. Besides, in the 3 hours that I was there doing all the paperwork, 3 other people walked by and congratulated me on the car as they were ready to buy my car if I wasn't.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:58 PM

I've got a trade in so hopefully I can walk away with a low note! Thanks a lot for your help bro. How has your XJ treated you so far?
My 11' is awesome. I bought it at 25 and my girlfriend at 30 said it was a car that was overkill and that we needed some serious time to grow into it. I live in NYC and flew to Florida to pick it up and by the end of the drive back to NYC she said she was in love. 7 months later she said it fits us perfectly. I'd tend to agree with her. The XJ is a special car. The interior is luxury not found on many if any cars sub six figures new or used. The power is perfect, the drive is incredible, the car turns so many heads... I can't imagine being happier with a car at this point in my life.

It's been an absolute joy to own. It started off very rocky, like I said above my water pump was broken when I bought it and I found out 1/4th of the way into a 1,300 mile drive, then discovered a broken speaker, sunroof wind deflector and the drivers side window controls were broken. It took a few weeks to get the car perfect but now there's only a few things that I'm waiting to bring in together on a warranty claim. One is a small vibration when turning at low speeds like parking or pulling into my garage which is a known TSB, the front cigarette lighter doesn't work which makes USB charging a little messier since I'm doing it from the back console and a small speaker rattle. That's it! I'm beyond thrilled and hope you and your wife enjoy it!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So I am looking to buy a used XJ for my wife. It's a 2012 with 35K on it. Looking to hear more from XJ owner in regards to their experiences with car... I have a few questions....

Looking Ballpark costs to get the following services done at dealership -
Oil Changes?
Routine Maintenance (45K Services and up)

The Jag dealer has offered me a maintenance package for $3450 for 3 years and an extended warranty for 8yrs/100K for $4950. Thoughts? Is it worth?Should I get both or one or the other?

Looking forward to hearing from you all
I have the extended warranty ( about the same price $3000+) Got a new GPS in fact the whole system is new under the extended and cost to me was '0'. Jag Dealers are few and far in between. If something was to happen I want that one number to call and they come and get me.

I have 2011 XJ SS with just under 35,000 miles. No problems ( very little) and seem to run better the more I drive. Troubles - knocking in sun roof. Gas cap sticks. Failed sensor in exhaust system. All small troubles. Its in every year for check up and I stay with recommended program.
Its true - they just don't make them this way any more. My interior can not 'be had' anymore.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM

I just read some of the above post-- I can't believe the prices some of these dealers gave you??
How can you believe that? $150 for oil?
I do know this-- one major problem and extended converge will pay for itself.
One person, a year after the coverage ended, was in for general yearly check up.
His Bill was just over $5000.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:33 AM

Just looked up Jaguar oil change- Car Direct $50 to $60
Because its a bit more involved with Jaguar then cars I general.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
dwc412, keep your eye out for a black XJ running around. If you see a "Submariner" rear license plate frame, that will be me. Honk and I will see what I can do about pulling over. Not the easiest to do over in that neck of the woods. I end up in Rockville about once a month for various reasons. I know I will be up in the area on the 19th near the hospital.

As for how they get the price of the oil service down can be a factor of a few things. the big one is getting the filters from somewhere other than the dealership. I just picked up OEM filters (from a dealership) via E-bay for $16 each. Still pricey for a filter, but much better than a dealership is wanting They can be gotten for as little as $85 for 6 delivered to your house. But, you have to buy 6 at a time for that price. The other thing can be the brand oil that they are using. Please note that Stuart mentions a very specific oil to use. Because of its specialized use, the price will be reflected in that. You use another full synthetic 5W-20, the cost is less, but this raises issues with what the motor requires to running at 100% and without putting things under undo stress. I have been running my car on other full synthetic (did not know it was that specific of an oil) and I have not noticed any negative effects after 20K miles.

Out of curiosity, which dealership did you go through? I got mine through Annapolis Jaguar and they did the same thing with me on my trade in. Granted, I was also getting a really good price on the car, so, I was expecting the low ball offer. Things ended about where I figured I was going to end up. so, I didn't push the issue too much. Besides, in the 3 hours that I was there doing all the paperwork, 3 other people walked by and congratulated me on the car as they were ready to buy my car if I wasn't.
I purchased the car from the Jaguar dealer in Rockville. The car was priced so low for a certified Jag, I HAD to take it.

Man, I've never received so many compliments on a car I've owned, and I've owned over a dozen different cars in my 32 years. (From Audi's to Beamers)

I'm still subconsciously worried about something major happening two years from now after my warranty is up, but what my wife and I have done is put aside a car maintenance pot, $40 a paycheck, which should help subsidize a major bill if it arises in a couple years.

Thanks again for all the support, looking forward to hearing more about how you XJ owners have fared.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Here are some shots of the new addition....

Attached Thumbnails Used 2012 Jaguar XJ Concerns/Questions?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-10-2016, 04:09 PM

I purchased the car from the Jaguar dealer in Rockville. The car was priced so low for a certified Jag, I HAD to take it.

Man, I've never received so many compliments on a car I've owned, and I've owned over a dozen different cars in my 32 years. (From Audi's to Beamers)

I'm still subconsciously worried about something major happening two years from now after my warranty is up, but what my wife and I have done is put aside a car maintenance pot, $40 a paycheck, which should help subsidize a major bill if it arises in a couple years.

Thanks again for all the support, looking forward to hearing more about how you XJ owners have fared.
If you only have the Certified warranty and not the 8 year/100k mile one, when your Certified warranty is about to end you can still get an extended Jaguar one, unless I'm mistaken.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 PM

bump....

Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by SovietKitsch
If you only have the Certified warranty and the 8 year/100k mile one, when your Certified warranty is about to end you can still get an extended Jaguar one, unless I'm mistaken.
Shortly before the CPO warranty expires, visit your Jaguar dealer for a quote to purchase the extended service contract marketed by most Jaguar dealers and administered by Assurant. That Assurant product is an insurance policy, with deductibles and exclusions; it is not an extension of the CPO or original warranty that were provided by the manufacturer. Much has been written on this subject; search this Forum and the X150 Forum for"extended service contract" for details.

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-14-2016 at 10:10 PM.