XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

V6 jag or a V8 which would you rather have???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Our first "new generation" XJ-L, was a 2012, with the n/a V-8. We loved the car, but unfortunately, in 2016, some jackass "rear ended" the car, and the damage was almost as much as what the car "blue booked" at. We replaced it with a 2016, but by then, the n/a V-8 was no longer available. My opinion, is that while the supercharged V-6 is probably as quick as the V-8 was, not that the speed matters, the V-8, just loafing around, had more low end torque, so it just seemed to be smoother and less "hurried", in it's operation.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

Leadfoot4,

Totally agree!

I have a 2012 5.0 N/A 6 speed, I love the low-end punch and the way it will then howl towards the red-line. I also appreciate that it's like driving a library when I don't 'feel the need'.

Our 8 speed F-Pace is way more frenetic, but no lees fun, punch it and it will fly, other wise it's just swapping cogs. I appreciate both setups...Oh, go on, the V8 is my choice.
That said the V8 4.0 XK8 feels REALLY slow every time I take her out, still love her to pieces!

wombat

Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wombat
Leadfoot4,

Totally agree!

I have a 2012 5.0 N/A 6 speed, I love the low-end punch and the way it will then howl towards the red-line. I also appreciate that it's like driving a library when I don't 'feel the need'.

Our 8 speed F-Pace is way more frenetic, but no lees fun, punch it and it will fly, other wise it's just swapping cogs. I appreciate both setups...Oh, go on, the V8 is my choice.
That said the V8 4.0 XK8 feels REALLY slow every time I take her out, still love her to pieces!

wombat
Speaking of F-paces, how do you like yours? My wife and I have been contemplating trading off our now almost 11 year old XF, and an F-Pace (or maybe a RR Velar) is at the top of our list, as a replacement. Assuming we go forward with this notion, we're planning on keeping the XF long enough to go through one more winter, and getting something in the spring. V-6 F-Paces are rather rare, in dealer inventories around here, and based on what our dealer tells us, it takes 12-14 weeks to get a "special order" vehicle built and shipped in, so we're looking at making a final decision within the next 3-4 weeks. (ironically, our late, great 2012 XJ-L, also a "special order", only took 8 weeks to arrive)

Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Having driven both the F-Pace and Velar as loaners (both were V6s) I'd take the Velar. In fact if I were to replace my SuperSport today I'd be ordering the Velar SVAUTOBIOGRAPHY DYNAMIC. I find the Velar a wonderful vehicle with luxurty and performance much like the XJs.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Leadfoot4/XJsss

RR Velar vs F-Pace debate. They are virtually identical mechanically but, for some reason the RR feels bigger on the inside (seat positioning?). I would take a well take a well equipped F-Pace over a base Velar (the Velar is a lot more expensive in base form, but better trimmed). The F-Pace is basically my wife's car and she raves about it. She started off wanting a Ford Edge, then opened the door and went 'Yuck', next was a RR Evoque, 'too small', hence the F-Pace.

I don't think (could be wrong), that the V6 is still available as a factory new build. They should be available with the new I6 3.0 400bhp fairly soon. That said, I had a 30t I4 as a loaner a couple of weeks ago and thought it was right in the sweet spot.

Hope that helps,

wombat

Old 11-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Leadfoot,
Yes, I would agree with you. The XJL V8 Supercharged just seems to be loping along even at 70. Only 1500 rpms. Loping along and purring quietly. I get the feeling that
it would be the same if we were cruising at 90, and I think the big cat would be happier if it were sailing along at 90 to 120.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Leadfoot4/XJsss

RR Velar vs F-Pace debate. They are virtually identical mechanically but, for some reason the RR feels bigger on the inside (seat positioning?). I would take a well take a well equipped F-Pace over a base Velar (the Velar is a lot more expensive in base form, but better trimmed). The F-Pace is basically my wife's car and she raves about it. She started off wanting a Ford Edge, then opened the door and went 'Yuck', next was a RR Evoque, 'too small', hence the F-Pace.

I don't think (could be wrong), that the V6 is still available as a factory new build. They should be available with the new I6 3.0 400bhp fairly soon. That said, I had a 30t I4 as a loaner a couple of weeks ago and thought it was right in the sweet spot.

Hope that helps,

wombat
Researching the situation using RR and Jag's website, I see where the I6 is available on the Range Rover Sport, but I'm not quite sure how they'd fit/orient an I6 engine in a car that is essentially a FWD chassis. When I've used the "build your own" function, on both sites, they still show the V-6 as available, and since it's derived from the V-8, I can understand how the V-8 engine can be made into an option.

We have a good relationship with our dealer, and when we became interested in a new ride, the sales manager sent us out for test drives in both the Velar and the F-Pace. We drove each of them for about 30 minutes. The manager's personal preference, is the Velar, as he feels the somewhat softer ride, due to the smaller diameter of the wheels. This was also mentioned in the road test comparisons that I've read. Price wise, when optioned comparatively, the Velar and F-Pace seem to be within several hundred dollars of each other.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Leadfoot4 I believe the I6 is only is only available in the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. The Velar appears to have the I4, V6, and V8 engines.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Hi Guys,

What I should have said is "I don't believe the 340bhp 3.0 V6 is still available". It Is still available in 380bhp trim. My bad. The I6/4 engine was built to be modular and offer FWD and AWD.

Sorry if I confused the picture! That said, if you are not after blistering performance, the I4 30t is still the sweet spot

Old 11-28-2019, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys,

What I should have said is "I don't believe the 340bhp 3.0 V6 is still available". It Is still available in 380bhp trim. My bad. The I6/4 engine was built to be modular and offer FWD and AWD.

Sorry if I confused the picture! That said, if you are not after blistering performance, the I4 30t is still the sweet spot

Don't worry!! In reality, I sort of noticed the V-6 engine's output mentioned as both 340 HP, as well as 380 HP, but never paid close attention to it, but a couple of times, I logged off the website, and then thought to myself, was that 340 or 380 HP that I read. Although my wife doesn't drive all that quickly, she had a couple of Corvettes in the past, and got used to the low end torque, that made them very easy to cruise around in. For some reason, back in the late 90s, she suddenly decided she wanted a new car, and we sold her Corvette. In her travels, she saw a Nissan 240SX, and surprisingly to me, it caught her eye. (it was sort of a Japanese Camaro)

She bought the Nissan, but soon afterward, she experienced a little "buyer's remorse". Although the Nissan's HO 4 cylinder engine actually put out more HP than her Corvette, in typical high output, 4 cylinder tradition, you had to "wind it up", in order to get into the engine's power band. She never acclimated to that, as she was used to the V-8's low end torque, and swore that she'd never own another 4 cylinder car. Therefore, assuming we purchase an F-Pace or Velar, it definitely will be the V-6 version. And yes, the V-8 powered, F-Pace SVR is really cool, and my local dealer does have one in stock that he'd love to sell us, but I/we are not spending $90K for something to drive through the winter, with it's copious amounts of road salt.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

after having owned both, a V6 and V8 XJ....the v8 is much better suited for the car. everything about it is great, the response, the sound, the speed.

with that being said, the V6 isnt horrible, but you notice the difference. but you can live with it. it wont disappoint