XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Vin number range that is free of problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vin number range that is free of problems?

I have seen XJ models for sale that have vin numbers as high as 94xx so I was wondering if any of you know after what count the guys in Crewe could have perhaps corrected all the major issues plaguing this car.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I have seen XJ models for sale that have vin numbers as high as 94xx so I was wondering if any of you know after what count the guys in Crewe could have perhaps corrected all the major issues plaguing this car.
I have a Vin in the high 9000 s. Car was built in July 2011, held by jag in NJ to await fixes and delivered to my dealer in October. Assuming the fixes had been implemented in factory around September, them making about 1000 cars a month I would guess after VIN 12000 or roughly sfter a full year of production. Those should pop in at dealers in spring i would assume. Makes sense?

By the way, remember more people with problems are hanging on this bulletin board. Just a handful, some seem to have a lemon far, some definately bad dealers. My first tsb had been done at delivery and i had one visit with minor things such as a little light missing in door handle. I got a jaguar loaner. And not sure, no roof popping noise for a while. I really would buy the car again over BMW, Mercedes or Lexux. It just feels a rides so much more to my taste. And the design is so much more then the clean tech lines of the Germans. I am German and chose the brit over them. I barely believe it myself.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi, I just found out a TSB issued on 10/06/11 covers VIN numbers up to 14530, something about a minor software update. So you can guess how many they built and when the "pains" go away. And to keep things clear, they are dealer TSB and in most cases they are fixed and done before delivery to customer. Jaguar explicetly instructs dealers NOT do release any cars without the fixes to customers.

Keep in mind, that is probably the reason I never experienced most of the stuff on this board.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up my car Wednesday of last week, and the VIN is 12,900. It was a custom order. Just an FYI on where they are with VINs. Hardly driven her, so I can't give accurate findings as yet.

Last edited by kid delicious; 12-26-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Gears, how do you like your CLS? I did look into getting a 2009 but when I saw the Jag I paused.

Kid, congratz on the new car. What color combo did you pick? I personally like the black metallic exterior and black interior with walnut blur.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM

I have the XJL Supersport in Ultimate Black with black tipped leather and parchment head liner. Figured ebony trim, rear entertainment package, and exhaust tips. It's sick...I go out and stare at it every night. The wheels are amazing...didn't think they were great on the website, but in person they're spectacular. The interface sucks donkeys, but fortunately it can all be fixed with programming changes. Need to add a menu item for trip computer and general vehicle stats/settings instead of the left side of instrument panel. TPMS needs updating as does the front parking sensor view. It's just clunky and poorly thought out, but the car itself is amazing. I've designed some user interfaces and it's clearly a beta version. Looking forward to updates in coming months. Will do full write up and post pics soon.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 PM

well, the CLS is a very different in character. I had it 4 years, 20k mls never a problem. The styling is still hot. It is a lot of smaller inside obviusly and very tight in the back. I say compared to the XJ SC performance slightly higher , but not really noticable. It is a heavy car. Just I wanted something more comfortable. Also in the drivers seat, a more hectic car, not a cruiser and by far not as comfortable. So it is a matter of preference. It was my 2nd CLS. First I had a 06 CLS 500 then the CLS63. However, I got LOTS or compliments for it.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM

so, kid delicious, you are out there staring at it, too? Probably just sitting in it looking around? In the back seat, too? And I thought I was the only nutcase out there. I still do that after 6 weeks now.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there are a few nutcases out there. I have actually looked for errands to run just to take it for a spin.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Yeap, I'm a bit of a fanatic. I'm in "discovery" mode at the moment, documenting all of my questions in a Word doc when they aren't answered by the manual. I haven't sat in the back yet...still outside staring at it primarily. Phase two will be sitting in each seat and possibly assuming fetal position in the trunk to test the emergency latch. I only have a few non-fixable things on my list so far that I wish were different:

1. Don't like the clock. It's cheap looking, and not focused on the driver. I tried to get Jaguar N/A to custom install the same clock they used in the 75th anniversary edition XJ from Pebble Beach, but they wouldn't do it for any price.

2. The only place in the car's interior that feels plasticy is the area surrounding the speedo. It's just a piece of black plastic that feels awfully out of place. They need to upgrade that to either leather or the black moulding...a little bit of trim line wouldn't hurt that area either. I think the idea was to keep it simple to eliminate reflection/glare, but it didn't quite succeed. When you look at yours now, you'll see what I mean. It just looks like they couldn't figure out how to dress it up to match the rest of the interior.

3. No soft close doors

4. There is no door lock feature in the trunk. On my S55, there was a button to close the trunk, and then another button to close the trunk and lock the car. Very handy, and easy to include, but it was missed by Jag. Silly little thing, but should have been there.

All other annoyances are just an update away, and overall the car is insane.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up So far so good

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
My black/London tan supercharged was built on October 10' with vin number in 13k range and the car has been flawless so far no software issues or the famous roof popping noise to report so far. The car is just awsome so much fun beating mustangs and camoros off the line while I get a massage at the same time.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAXFSC
My black/London tan supercharged was built on October 10' with vin number in 13k range and the car has been flawless so far no software issues or the famous roof popping noise to report so far. The car is just awsome so much fun beating mustangs and camoros off the line while I get a massage at the same time.
Great color choice! Could be I'm biased

Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jstewperry
I think there are a few nutcases out there. I have actually looked for errands to run just to take it for a spin.
Me, too. My wife got suspicous when I offered to run quick pick up errands. That is so funny. I feel so much better. Unfortunately there is nothing but snow around here now and I have to keep it grounded. Very painful.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Great color choice! Could be I'm biased
I originally picked that color combo, too. Black / London Tan / Burl Walnut. But then my wife interfered.......Oh well the usual black / on black it is now.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Yeap, I'm a bit of a fanatic. I'm in "discovery" mode at the moment, documenting all of my questions in a Word doc when they aren't answered by the manual. I haven't sat in the back yet...still outside staring at it primarily. Phase two will be sitting in each seat and possibly assuming fetal position in the trunk to test the emergency latch. I only have a few non-fixable things on my list so far that I wish were different:

1. Don't like the clock. It's cheap looking, and not focused on the driver. I tried to get Jaguar N/A to custom install the same clock they used in the 75th anniversary edition XJ from Pebble Beach, but they wouldn't do it for any price.

2. The only place in the car's interior that feels plasticy is the area surrounding the speedo. It's just a piece of black plastic that feels awfully out of place. They need to upgrade that to either leather or the black moulding...a little bit of trim line wouldn't hurt that area either. I think the idea was to keep it simple to eliminate reflection/glare, but it didn't quite succeed. When you look at yours now, you'll see what I mean. It just looks like they couldn't figure out how to dress it up to match the rest of the interior.

3. No soft close doors

4. There is no door lock feature in the trunk. On my S55, there was a button to close the trunk, and then another button to close the trunk and lock the car. Very handy, and easy to include, but it was missed by Jag. Silly little thing, but should have been there.

All other annoyances are just an update away, and overall the car is insane.
1.) I just wished I could actually see the clock. Very hard to read in some conditions.
2.) Yep
3.) I wondered about that, but then found the doors close so perfectly its a non issue
4.) THAT ONE TICKS ME OFF! And always will. I hope they re-do the software on this. Of doi I have to "remote wire" the button in the lid?. I think that is plain stupid!!
BUT, I still LOVE the car.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 10500 range and everything was completed at the factory.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
1.) I just wished I could actually see the clock. Very hard to read in some conditions.
2.) Yep
3.) I wondered about that, but then found the doors close so perfectly its a non issue
4.) THAT ONE TICKS ME OFF! And always will. I hope they re-do the software on this. Of doi I have to "remote wire" the button in the lid?. I think that is plain stupid!!
BUT, I still LOVE the car.
1. I concur. The Bremont looks fantastic.
2. As mine is in storage for the winter I will have to check that out come spring time.
3. I think soft touch doors would have added that extra luxurious touch. I remember when I first saw it on S class I was impressed and now the way technology is every little bit helps distinguish the upper tier cars. I mean you can get a Prius with keyless entry now.
4. I agree
5. Would love for an update to the center console. Not responsive enough
6. I want my dualview screen!!
7. I have seen every video with Ian Mccollum explaining why they blacked out the C-pillars and I still disagree. So I painted mine to match the rest of the car.

As I live in Germany with a US Spec car I for some reason can't get European maps. Something about the two systems not being compatible which makes no sense to me. But I am working with Jaguar UK and Jaguar NA and Jaguar DE to rectify the situation. Other than that I am a happy camper. Also my VIN I believe is 12122 and the rear entertainment update along with some software update was done in the UK and the rest e.g. the windshield wiper issue was done at the dealer. I picked up 23rd Dec.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 AM

I hope they don't put different headunits into EU vs. US cars. That is what Mercedes does. That makes changing some maps and stiff a bit different.
Du lebst in Deutschland? Ich denke der Jaguar kostet dort ca. 144,000 EU. Kommt der Jag mit dir nach US zurueck? Oder warum US spec car in Germany?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM

I hope they don't put different headunits into EU vs. US cars. That is what Mercedes does. That makes changing some maps and stiff a bit different.
Du lebst in Deutschland? Ich denke der Jaguar kostet dort ca. 144,000 EU. Kommt der Jag mit dir nach US zurueck? Oder warum US spec car in Germany?
Gears I don't wanna confuse everybody so I will respond in English. I am in the US military stationed over here so I bought mine through the military sales program with is a considerable savings not only on the price of the vehicle but the few options you can get as well. Every major European car manufacture has a military sales program. The only issue is that the platinum coverage is no good over here. I have the warranty protection but I still have to pay for oil changes and things of that nature. They will ship it back the States for free for up to three years after delivery. And as you said yourself the DE spec version of my car is more than a US Supersport.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM

As far as the headunits go that is what I am trying to find out now. I have spoken with PR exec at Jaguar NA and Jaguar UK that me having a 100.000 dollar car and having to put a 200 dollar gps in the window is unacceptable. Why would you make a region based gps when you can go to the store and buy a gps with European and US maps for about 400 dollars. I also have a friend of mine talking to Jaguar DE in Frankfurt about it.

Quick Reply: Vin number range that is free of problems?