XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Virtual CD changer spooky AI

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 06:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Virtual CD changer spooky AI

I've been uploading some CDs to the "virtual CD changer", which itself is a hilarious transitional piece of tech, the car is sort of caught between two eras. My 2005 Maserati has a physical CD changer and no bluetooth capabilities at all. This car nine years younger has the best of both worlds. New cars usually don't have a CD player at all so I very much appreciate this.

However, the behavior of the unit in regards to whether it knows the contents of the disc is very strange. There are some commercial CDs that it can recognize (presumably from the metadata), and others that it cannot (I guess because there's no metadata, or it's in a format that the system won't read). The odd thing though, is that it can also recognize some CDs I've recorded myself from commerical source material. In one case it recognizes a CD that I ripped from a vinyl record, although it incorrectly thinks it is a karaoke version of the album. How is this possible?

Old 10-21-2023, 01:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OK I figured it out.

The car manual states that it can only read metadata encoded in the ID3 format, documented here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#No...implementation

It is probable that the vinyl master was created from some version of the digital files which were tagged. Apparently they used Karaoke versions at some point in the process. This means that the vinyl was not remastered at all, which makes sense. It is not the best sounding of my vinyl releases.

The vinyl playback apparently was good enough to reproduce the digital tag which appears as an extremely brief bit of information at the end of each song. So these metadata tags survived going from digital files to being pressed to vinyl, to being played back and digitally recorded! This is what we buy $550 cartridges for.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Yes I spend a good bit of time getting the ID3 tags correct on my digital music collection. I use MP3tag which is a free program to edit the tags as I want them before saving the file or burning the disk. I no longer burn discs either. But as your link points out there is some complications because of the different versions of the ID3 format. It is a bit messy!
I mostly use the USB drive as much more can be stored on it.