XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Washer Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Washer Fluid Leak

So got a warning on the dash the other day that my washer fluid was low, filled her up, normal stuff. Filler is basically exact same as it was on my two previous XF's, I remember it took a gallon or so. Came out this morning and there were two different pools of washer fluid on garage floor, one by front bumper (medium size), one by drivers door (larger). Seemed odd to me, figured maybe I overfilled and the car has a overfill valve that just spilled out excess washer fluid like a gas tank does sometimes. Got in car and washer fluid light was on again, weird. Local Cleveland dealerships are booked till Christmas, ugh. Good thing it doesn't snow in Cleveland this time a year and I don't use many gallons of fluid all the time right now! Going to call again tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in, have to drive to Canada tomorrow night, don't want to be stuck in a storm with no fluid.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by wcoy
one by drivers door (larger).
I am assuming you have a LHD car from your location, in which case that should be the opposite side of the car to the washer bottle. Is that correct, or is your bottle located on the LH side as well?

If the same side as the bottle then suspect the pump to bottle seal, or a detached or split hose. You can easily check by removing the road wheel and wheel arch liner and then looking at it - you don't need to pay a dealer to do that (unless under warranty)

If it is not the same side then it may be a leaky headlamp washer jet. Sometimes dirt gets onto the shaft and prevents it retracting fully allowing water to weep out. If it is just stuck then turn the head lamps on to dipped beam and have someone squirt the washer jets and then quickly grab the jet securely to prevent it retracting. (Grab the jet assembly, not the cover as it will break off.) You can then use a CO2 air can or similar to blast around the base of the shaft and then follow up with a dry lubricant like PTFE spray (don't use anything wet it will attract dirt). Sometimes that can fix it, if not you need to remove the bumper cover and disassemble.

The following users liked this post:
poketastic (07-23-2017)
Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry I really should have stated that it was under warranty. Was at dealership today, they ordered parts and they'll be in wednesday. Thank you for the help.