XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water Pump

Took my 2013 XJL 5.0L in to the dealer today for a low coolant light that had been coming on for a week or so once the engine was fully at temp. I suspected it was the expansion tank sensor as the coolant level was not low. The dealer did confirm that the tank needed to be replaced but also told me the water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. I asked them to show me the leak and they had to use a mirror and then it was not really anything even wet. Was some very small crusty scaly spot. They tried to use scare tactics on me that it could go at anytime and leave me stranded. This was a Chicago area dealer that I never had been to and they saw I had Florida license plate. They also said I needed front brakes and they were just replaced in June before I left Florida.

I am letting them replace the expansion tank. Should I get another opinion on the water pump or just not worry about it. The car has 70k miles and has been regularly maintained by a Jaguar dealer in Florida. Thanks for any thoughts.

The following users liked this post:
CG2013 (12-12-2021)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

If they used a mirror to show you, I'm assuming they mean at the weep opening. You can monitor that leak but eventually you should replace it, sooner than later as it will eventually fail. Hopefully not catastrophic, but that's what preventative maintenance is all about, right?

Last edited by dmchao; 08-02-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a pressure test done on your coolant system. I had done on mine and confirmed that there is a small leak, but it is very low. Was done by my Firestone mechanic for $70. He said it does not look like it is in imminent danger and I could likely defer the repair, but to keep an eye on the reservoir to know if it is progressing to a faster leak. They had to crank the pressure very high to confirm the leak in the area they saw the scaling, much higher than normal operating pressure, so that is another sign.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Max432
They also said I needed front brakes and they were just replaced in June before I left Florida.
Do they not know that the car will tell you when the brake pads get low?? (and even then, they're still not really that low)

Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't play the water pump game because sooner or later it's going to go. We have an entire thread about it.
Save yourself the headache and replace it. Maybe you could shop around for the best price or an independent dealership that you trust.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/

Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Don't wait! You need a water pump and you need it now.
Do NOT defer the repair that is beyond dumb. Please read this forum people have destroyed their cars because they ignored this.

Also do not drive if the car gets hot. Not to the next exit or to home. Stop NOW!
The water pump has been revised at least 6-7 times and is known problem on the 5.0 L engine. Not a huge deal or even very expensive but you have to catch it in time.
I am impressed the dealer checked that thoroughly. That was very good!

Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate it. I will have the pump changed out. The dealer wants $2300 for the pump, crossover pipes, and thermostat. Is this a fair price or should I consider an independent?

Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I would get quotes from the indies. More importantly check if they will let you bring in your own parts. You can buy a new water pump, tubes and thermostat online for much cheaper than the dealer. The part numbers can be found on this forum. Bit of a guess, but I’d think the labor is probably ~4 hours. You most likely can get this done for around half that price.

All the best.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

I am still confused. I read all of the related threads mentioned above and the related threads mentioned in those threads. I am thinking that the most recent water pump for my 2014 XJ Supercharged 470 hp 5.0 is:

C2D20660 pump, AJ811539 O-ring and C2Z18658 and possibly Hose C2Z26930 and Tube C2Z28258. I don't know when the pump was last changed and I am not seeing any evidence of a leak from the weep hole and there is no coolant smell, YET.

I want to have a "Kit" on the shelf, but after following all of the problems and upgrades I am not certain these are the most current part numbers for supercharged 5.0 liter engines. There seemed to be some differences between the NA cars and the SC cars?

Am I close to having the definitive parts?

Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
I am still confused. I read all of the related threads mentioned above and the related threads mentioned in those threads. I am thinking that the most recent water pump for my 2014 XJ Supercharged 470 hp 5.0 is:

C2D20660 pump, AJ811539 O-ring and C2Z18658 and possibly Hose C2Z26930 and Tube C2Z28258. I don't know when the pump was last changed and I am not seeing any evidence of a leak from the weep hole and there is no coolant smell, YET.

I want to have a "Kit" on the shelf, but after following all of the problems and upgrades I am not certain these are the most current part numbers for supercharged 5.0 liter engines. There seemed to be some differences between the NA cars and the SC cars?

Am I close to having the definitive parts?
Im getting from this forum the following part numbers:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/

Water pump AJ813909, O-ring AJ811539, and tube C2Z18658.

I also used these same parts when mine was replaced a few weeks ago.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Got the price from the independent and it is a fair amount less. Part of the reason for the lower price is that they use an aftermarket water pump but an oem crossover pipe. They said they have had excellent results with the pump and that it has a two year warranty vs one year for the oem. Also they recommended replacing some crossover pipes at the rear of the engine as it is easy to do while the supercharger is removed for the overall repair. Thoughts/comments? Thanks.

Nedoerr (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:29 PM

I would say the unwritten rule is to change as many hoses as you can while they are accessible. If it is just your water pump leaking though, I’m pretty sure you don’t need to remove the supercharger. So I’d figure out how much repair is actually necessary.

The Jaguar water pump should not be a game changer in cost. It is only ~$250 from online Jag dealers. I hear good things about the new Jag water pumps, so I would be hesitant to switch to an aftermarket one. Search for the pump using the link below as an example.

https://parts.jaguarcarlsbad.com/

You might even find it cheaper on eBay or elsewhere. That’s why it is good to find an independent shop that will install parts that you provide.

Two year warrantee is good if they also warranty the labor. Please post which water pump they are proposing to use. Perhaps another member has experience with that part number.

All the best

EDIT: I see SNG Barrat sells the Jaguar pump for $209 (at least today). They also have an aftermarket one for ~$130. I haven’t heard anyone remark on the quality of the aftermarket one, but SNG Barrat often gets their aftermarket stuff made by the OEM. They are a legit company, and I would trust their aftermarket stuff. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the quality of that pump.

Last edited by Nedoerr; 08-05-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't mess with a weeping water pump. I had no warning when my water pump died at full chat on a desolate stretch of I-40 in Arizona. The failure took the motor with it. Car had been serviced not six weeks before with no issues reported.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

Make sure that your mechanic checks the supercharger snout for any wobble when he gets everything apart. It's much less expensive to replace worn bearings now, since it's already apart.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:34 PM

Thanks all for the good advice. I decided to have a Jaguar dealer do the repairs as I preferred using oem parts and was assured the warranty would be honored nationally. I used a different dealer than the one that said I needed new brakes even though they were replaced in June. This new dealer has done a lot of work for friends of ours that have several Land Rovers and gave me their good customer discount which made the repair much closer to the independent shop especially when you consider that I will have oem instead of aftermarket parts. The car is at the dealership now. I leave on vacation tomorrow so they have the next couple of weeks to complete the repairs. Thanks again for all of the help!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 PM

Has anyone compiled a list of all hose part numbers for the 5.0 L Supercharged engines?

Is the 5.0 like the 4.2 and 4.0 with a valley hose?

Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

Part numbers are listed below, but first some "old school" advice.

If the Low Coolant warning light comes on, you're vulnerable to a catastrophic engine failure. Don't wait until it's too late to fix it! If you already suspect a bad water pump, be sure to keep a gallon jug of water in the trunk, and check the coolant level in the overflow tank every day. If that idiot light comes on, pull over immediately, shut off the engine, check the overflow tank level and add water if necessary. If you must drive it, turn the heater on maximum temperature and highest fan speed to help cool down the engine; the heater is just another small radiator. If the heater doesn't blow hot air, then there's no coolant being circulated and your engine will soon be a doorstop. I recommend that every 5.0L owner buy a Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII reader and pair it to your cellphone that has the free Torque app (or Torque Pro paid version) to monitor your engine temperature (and other functions) in real time.

You should also check for leaks at the upper and lower coolant outlet Y-pipe and use new gaskets if they're replaced.

I just had this done today on my 2013 XJ SC. OEM Jaguar part numbers are:
AJ813909. Pump-Water
C2Z18658. Tube
AJ811539. O-Ring
AJ813865. Pipe-Outlet
AJ813917. Tube
C2Z28265. Gasket
AJ811948. Gasket
AJ811576. Gasket
AJ811590. Gasket

While it's apart, also check for excessive play in the supercharger isolator.
C2D52713. Kit-Supercharger

You will save $$$ by shopping for the above parts on the internet and from our Forum sponsors. Be sure to ask for any additional discounts. An experienced indy JLR technician can save you $$$ over a dealer, because they have lower overhead.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Matt Cox (09-15-2020), mikebaker3 (08-09-2019), XJ8JR (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 PM

I bought an iCarSoft 930i for my X350 with the Jaguar software which also covers XJ 2010 through 2015.Is the ELM327 better? The iCarSoft plugs into the OBD II port.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Check because I think your scanner can reset the service light on the XJ. That's worth something for sure!
The ELM 327 is just a interface so there is a wide array of software that uses it. I don't know of any that can reset the service light and the dealer usually charges $150 or so to do it unless you are getting your oil changed too.

One use and the scanner is pretty much paid for.

mikebaker3 (08-11-2019)
Old 08-26-2020, 03:27 PM

I just had the water pump replaced due to a leak. When technicians removed the supercharger belt, they noticed a lot of play in the coupler. I bought a "Supercharger Isolator Oil Filled Nylon Fits Jaguar Range Rover 5.0" from Qualitysuperchargers.com. I recommend that you add one to the list of parts for a water pump replacement. You will want one on hand while you have things taken apart, rather than having a delay while waiting for the part. Coupler was $16.99. Priority mail cost more since I needed it before having the shop button things up. The technician at the shop told me that he thought that there was an additional leak at the auxiliary radiator. I dropped the under tray to see if I could find this leak. I have not found it yet. I think the technician was seeing fluid soaked up by the pad on the under tray.

Under tray is two piece, I dropped mine as one unit

With the under tray dropped you can see the oil pan drain plug on the right rear side of the pan.

There are a number of fasteners attaching the under tray. In addition to the connectors that you see attaching the front of the under tray to the front bumper cover, there are additional fasteners in recesses. When you think every fastener has been removed, the tray slides to the rear to unhook from the bumper cover.

Here you can see the rear attachments for the under tray

At the bottom front of the inner wheel wells, there are additional attachments to the under tray.

There is a foam pad covered by plastic about the thickness of a trash bag that deteriorates. Coolant from the water pump leak soaked into the pad. After removal I stood the under tray vertically in my garage. At least a pint of coolant has gravity drained from the pad. You are looking at the top side of the under tray.

This is an auxiliary radiator for the intercoolers located behind the bumper and in front of the right front wheel well.

This is the same auxiliary radiator with the plastic inner wheel well pulled toward the tire. It exhausts air through the grill inside the wheel well toward the front. Depending on your model, there may be a second auxiliary radiator on the left side. My car does not have one, but it is depicted in the IPC. The aux radiator is in addition to the intercooler radiator in front of the radiator.

XJsss (08-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Water Pump