XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Water pump failure trashed the block

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs down Water pump failure trashed the block

Well, seems I wasn't quick enough pulling off the highway when the water pump failed. The heads were removed and warpage was found on the block, so it's toast. The extended warranty company are sending a guy to llok over this cluster in the next couple of days. When the guy has assessed the situation and been told how much a new or remanufactured costs I'll be told what they want to do.

They will either go for some kind of replacement or make me an offer to SCRAP the vehicle.

Either way, Jaguar customer service will be hearing from me. They clearly cheaped out on a faulty design for a $200 part and they know it.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes, yes they did, the question is why? You know it wasn't about money, they don't save enough on $100,000 car to make that worthwhile. Especially since they make less than 2,000 examples a year. No, I would guess it was to meet the CAFE requirements or something along that line. All the paperwork I've seen says the EPA estimate is only 21 MPG on the highway. That's pretty low. The fact that they came out with a 6 cyl. the next year may be more evidence it was fuel mileage. All through the 1980's the manufacturers put the smallest brakes they could on the cars to meet that CAFE. I don't know how many rotors I replaced with bigger and heavier ones back then.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
Yes, yes they did, the question is why? You know it wasn't about money, they don't save enough on $100,000 car to make that worthwhile. Especially since they make less than 2,000 examples a year. No, I would guess it was to meet the CAFE requirements or something along that line. All the paperwork I've seen says the EPA estimate is only 21 MPG on the highway.
So you think they went for the low friction design over one that held water?

I think the highway number for a non-supercharged V8 is 24 mpg. I've beaten that number on mine by judicious use of the cruise control. Saves on tickets, too.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2011 supercharged 5.0 block in excellent condition , 60k miles, and the passenger head and everything else that goes with the motor. Besides supercharger and intercooler.
1500 for the whole thing plus shipping. I'll guarantee parts are good. Or your mechanic can call my shop, motor is worth a lot more, but I have no way to pick it up from them.
Chris pm me if interested.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Now that's a great deal. My fingers would be flying over the keyboard.

Another thing to consider is the debacle from 1998 to 2000 with their v8's. They tried the nikasil process instead of iron sleeves in the block. Saved a lot of weight and increased power to weight ratio and fuel mileage. Unfortunately the blocks started failing at 35,000 miles because of the higher sulfur content of our fuels. They replaced a lot of engines over that. A friend of mine had just bought a 36,000 mile xj and the engine seized only a thousand or so miles later. He had the extended warranty. Told me it cost $10,000 to replace the engine.

The engineers may have just been trying something new and it's not working out. The replacement pumps seem to be the tried and true old technology that will last a while. The plastic pipes bother me too. they should be aluminum or rubber. That's how you make it last. If I had to spend the money for a new engine, I think just the engine is like $10,000 these days, I'd put a $10,000 400 CI small block Chevy in it. They put out almost as much torque and horsepower as the jaguar engine with the supercharger. With fuel injection it would get about the same gas mileage and parts are easy to get and cheaper. Of course it wouldn't be as fast since the added weight from the cast iron block would take more to get moving but it would be hard to ruin a block. Mostly if it overheats only the heads will warp not the block. The heads are a lot cheaper to replace or machine back to true. Best for longevity is cast iron all around.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM

It's a great deal. And it has the updated water pump on it. Needs timing work and a driver side head and would be a great motor. All that was wrong was the timing tick from bad tensioners. Pulled motor before any damage occurred. And instead of repairing I found a crazy deal on a 2016 xj from a wrecker with 4 miles on it thru a buddy, so I Pulled the motor for a 2016 motor swap.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by phillyS1
I have a 2011 supercharged 5.0 block in excellent condition , 60k miles, and the passenger head and everything else that goes with the motor. Besides supercharger and intercooler.
1500 for the whole thing plus shipping. I'll guarantee parts are good. Or your mechanic can call my shop, motor is worth a lot more, but I have no way to pick it up from them.
Chris pm me if interested.
Thanks

Not sure if the Supercharged block is the same as the NA version. I'll pass this on to the warranty folks if it looks like they want to go that way.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am surprised block, and not heads, warped. If it is heads that warped, it should be easy-ish fix to swap them from a used engine. However, the question of "what else was damaged" will always remain.

When you lose all coolant, the time to pull over is unfortunately must be ASAP. However, if you lose coolant rapidly, your coolant temperature sensor stops working as it has to be in contact with coolant to properly measure temperature.

Last edited by SinF; 12-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Motor sold today sorry

Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Man, I was waiting to see if agentorange (not a good handle by the way, at least to us old vets) was going to take it. Otherwise, I would have taken it.
Guess that's what you get for being polite. (sigh).
Oh well, back to my 400 sbc idea.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rhomanski
Man, I was waiting to see if agentorange (not a good handle by the way, at least to us old vets) was going to take it. Otherwise, I would have taken it.
Guess that's what you get for being polite. (sigh).
Oh well, back to my 400 sbc idea.
400 SBC...... I think you meanLS9!
Last year I picked up a low mileage 5.3 with tranny for $1500 complete with wiring harness that I plan on putting in my wifes old 03 Lincoln LS (if the motor would ever die). A cam swap and a tune it should squeeze out 400 HP, perfect for smashing most everything on the street!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of one of these.

Blueprint Crate Engines SBC 400ci / 460HP / 470TQ | JEGS

A lifetime ago a friend was gifted a '68 Firebird with a 400 in it. I can still see that chrome 400 on the hood. That started my love of Firebirds and knightrider sealed it. I ended up with two, a V6 and a 350 '88 GTA. Like you I can't get the engine to die on either one. Over 200,000 miles and still going strong.

My cousin passed a month ago with 4 or 5 1955 Chevy's in his garage. He still kept his '55 he bought brand new and collected all or most of all the other flavors made that year. The one he bought new was a v8 two door and then he got a 4 door v8, a two door v6 and four door v6 and I'm not sure what else. He had a '70 E-type I think, it had the v-12 under the hood.

He had a '72 model Cadillac I think with the mechanical fuel injection. Quite a few others I don't remember.

That 400 sbc has about the same torque and hp ratings as the stock supercharged 5.0, I was thinking it would be a nice replacement and channel my memories of years gone by. Of course that depends on how long the original lasts. It hasn't even hit 100,000 yet.