XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What did you do to your X351 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
So the new hubcentric rings cut down about 90% of the vibrations and steering wheel wobble. There's still a little bit of vibration right at 70-80mph depending on the road conditions. I'll live with it for a few days and decide what my next course of action will be.
L.A. Wheel & Tire is in Sylmar. I'd give them a call. I bought my chrome exchange wheels from them.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (07-17-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I got the car realigned but I'm still getting the vibrations. The intensity seems to change randomly. Some days are better than others. My gut still tells me its the tires because what the hell else could it be??

I've decided no more UHP summer tires for me. They just don't work for my purposes. The extra grip makes the wheels follow every rut and groove in the road and the car just tramlines all over the place. So the more grip, the less stable the car feels...pretty silly. Maybe that's why I hated the Michelins...way too much grip. I never had any complaints about the Bridgestone all-seasons that were on the car when I first bought it...I should've never swapped them out. I'm thinking of going with the revised compound Pirelli PZero All Season Plus. They have good marks for comfort, noise, and I've never had problems with Pirelli before...don't understand all the hate they get around here.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm thinking of going with the revised compound Pirelli PZero All Season Plus. They have good marks for comfort, noise, and I've never had problems with Pirelli before...don't understand all the hate they get around here.
That's what I'm running, and I'm very happy with them

XJ8JR (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
That's what I'm running, and I'm very happy with them
That's very good to hear. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

I put Pirelli P Zero All Seasons on my last Jag, an X308 XJR. I had chronic balance issues that could never quite be fixed even with Roadforce balancing. They were also the worst tires I've had for taking a set when parked for a while, as bad as the Dunlop summers. On the plus side they were quiet, no tramlining, good grip, with a good ride, as long as you waited 10 mins on the highway for the flat spotting to go away, and drove over 75 mph where the ride smoothed out.

No flat spotting on the new Michelin A/S tires that I've noticed, just a smooth ride, all the time, at every speed. No tramlining either.

XJ8JR (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Were they the revised compound? I think those debuted sometime in 2016-2017.

I was considering the Michelin AS 3+ as well but I've read many complaints about a harsh ride and noise.

Update: I just found what seems to be a good reputable shop nearby. I explained my problem and he said he won't charge me if can't fix it and that he hates that other shops don't take the time to really figure out the issues. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 07-20-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by demiroquai
So, I went ahead and powder coated the wheels black and had my calipers painted a bright "Tiffany blue." This has started to become a fun car to do slow upgrades to. I've created a new instagram called @theblkjag

What a great looking XJ! And I love the Star Spangled Union Jack. Pure class.

demiroquai (07-30-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Were they the revised compound? I think those debuted sometime in 2016-2017.

I was considering the Michelin AS 3+ as well but I've read many complaints about a harsh ride and noise.

Update: I just found what seems to be a good reputable shop nearby. I explained my problem and he said he won't charge me if can't fix it and that he hates that other shops don't take the time to really figure out the issues. Sounds good to me.
you'll find a thread i create 6 months ago about shaking/vibrations i was getting from my car....2 sets of Conti DWS06's were super high roadforce.....the Michelin AS 3+'s cured that problem. I still have a little vibration, most likely due to a bend in the rim

Old 07-27-2020, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thank God almighty the vibrations are gone and the car is smooth again. I don't know for sure whether the problem was the tires or balancing but I'm guessing it was the tires, as the new Pirellis needed a lot less weight than the Generals. I mean, A LOT less weight. I'm really liking the Pirelli PZero All Season Pluses. They're VERY quiet and very comfortable and they seem to handle just as well as the UHP summer Generals. Acceleration off the line is maybe just a tiny bit reduced but I don't care. I'm extremely happy this ordeal is finally over, I can enjoy driving this car again. I was also super impressed with the guys at this shop. They took the time needed and really listened, and didn't just shove me through the door. For anybody in the San Fernando Valley, if you're looking for a good tire shop, head over to Silver City Tire & Service on De Soto in Chatsworth. Gino will make things right. No more Firestone for me.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:52 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Finally updated the headlights.

The before...

... The After

After a year of staring at this board, YouTube,IG, and everywhere else of people doing the headlight conversions I pulled the trigger. Found an awesome seller on EBay and went for it.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 AM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by demiroquai
After a year of staring at this board, YouTube,IG, and everywhere else of people doing the headlight conversions I pulled the trigger. Found an awesome seller on EBay and went for it.
Did you find someone that sold the lights modified to be "plug and play", or did you do the surgery yourself?

Old 07-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
Did you find someone that sold the lights modified to be "plug and play", or did you do the surgery yourself?
I found someone that made a wiring harness that plugged right in. Only additional item was how to get the daytime lights always on. That was wired to the ACC of the fuse box and then directly to the battery terminal.

christ (07-31-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Received 224 Likes on 171 Posts

Thank God almighty the vibrations are gone and the car is smooth again. I don't know for sure whether the problem was the tires or balancing but I'm guessing it was the tires, as the new Pirellis needed a lot less weight than the Generals. I mean, A LOT less weight. I'm really liking the Pirelli PZero All Season Pluses. They're VERY quiet and very comfortable and they seem to handle just as well as the UHP summer Generals. Acceleration off the line is maybe just a tiny bit reduced but I don't care. I'm extremely happy this ordeal is finally over, I can enjoy driving this car again. I was also super impressed with the guys at this shop. They took the time needed and really listened, and didn't just shove me through the door. For anybody in the San Fernando Valley, if you're looking for a good tire shop, head over to Silver City Tire & Service on De Soto in Chatsworth. Gino will make things right. No more Firestone for me.
Hi XJ8JR,

Good to hear that your problem are solved. It is nice to have smooth XJ as it should be. XJ (x351) are not an "Macig carpet" like S-Class, but i have feeling that when tyres are vibrating the suspension have even harder level than normal.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

I'm planning on replacing my engine mounts this weekend. When doing this job on the old 4.2 motors, I used a jack and some wood and lifted the engine by the oil pan. Does anybody know if this is safe on the 5.0s? I found this thread on the F-Type section: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...mounts-221412/ Looks like he jacked up the engine via a part of the block itself.

Or maybe use one of these: https://www.costway.com/1100-lb-engi...RoC-jIQAvD_BwE

The question then is where to hook up the chains.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Well I crawled under the car on Sunday intending to replace the engine mounts...visually confirmed that the driver side mount is wrecked...but decided I just didn't have the space necessary to complete the job. So I just dropped the car off at the Mina Gallery shop who will have it done by tomorrow. This is the first time in years that I've had to throw my hands up and say "I can't do it." Sigh

Old 10-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NOT ONE

I told her that I loved her and am soooooooo glad I didn't go with the Maserati, one of the only other good looking cars out there, but I've heard nothing good about owning one. Everything else is an SUV of just a truck, it's horrifying how ugly the cars are today, and the selection is meager at best. That's why I tell her that, and because she hasn't given me any problems....so far,oh it's a 2011

Old 10-14-2020, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default System Too Lean Off Idle - Wont start

This morning coming off the freeway, the car started to tremble like it was about to stall out but acceleration was still ok. I was able to get on to a side street, turn off the engine, and scan for codes. There were two pending codes for System Too Lean Off Idle Banks 1 and 2. I popped the hood and noticed that the intake tube connection to the throttle body was a tiny bit loose so I snugged that up and started the engine. It will start up as usual but the revs immediately drop down to zero and the engine stalls. It will stay alive if I keep on the throttle but stalls as soon as I get off the pedal.

Unfortunately, there was an emergency at work at the same time (today of all days), so I had to abandon the car without further investigation (thankfully not far from my destination). I have not yet had time to do any internet research so I am asking the Jaguar Forum Brain Trust for ideas on what could be going on. I had gotten these same two codes a few weeks ago and discovered that the intake tube had shaken itself loose off the throttle body. That actually happened twice within the space of a month so I suspected the engine mounts had gone bad, and thus the intake was being yanked around too much. Driver side engine mount was confirmed to be busted so had them both replaced this past weekend.

I've also been getting low battery messages, even though I just barely got it a few months ago (was fine for the first month or two but have been getting the low battery warning for at least a month now). A few weeks ago I suddenly got Restricted Performance and a throttle pedal position fault code which cleared itself up after I let the car sit awhile so I suspect the low battery may be causing these issues as well.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

If your intake is loosening up, I would remove it and check for the plastic cracking under the hose clamp (assuming you still have the plastic intake). This has happened to several people, myself included, resulting in a lean condition. Also if you have the vacuum-actuated supercharger bypass valve (older type) you can make sure the tubing connecting the throttle body to the actuator valve isn’t cracked. This also happened to me. Both of these are easy fixes if they are the problem.

Best of luck!

Old 10-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
If your intake is loosening up, I would remove it and check for the plastic cracking under the hose clamp (assuming you still have the plastic intake). This has happened to several people, myself included, resulting in a lean condition. Also if you have the vacuum-actuated supercharger bypass valve (older type) you can make sure the tubing connecting the throttle body to the actuator valve isn’t cracked. This also happened to me. Both of these are easy fixes if they are the problem.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm using the Mina intake and don't have the older style vacuum bypass.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Does your OBD scanner show freeze frame data (what conditions your car was running under when last fault was detected)? If so that might be worth looking through to see if you have an air problem or a fuel problem.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X351 today?