XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What did you do to your X351 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Are you sure the stock license plate lights are LED? When I changed mine it was a very noticeable difference.
Yes they are both sealed units but I think the aftermarket ones are much brighter.
I'll take a second look. When I thought that I'd try installing the LEDs, I first turned on the car's lights, and the license plate lights looked pretty bright, and pretty "white", like an LED. I will give them a second look, however, as they don't seem to be a big deal to R&R......

Old 05-11-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'll take a second look. When I thought that I'd try installing the LEDs, I first turned on the car's lights, and the license plate lights looked pretty bright, and pretty "white", like an LED. I will give them a second look, however, as they don't seem to be a big deal to R&R......
Well, I took a second look at my OE plate lights, and they don't appear to be LEDs. However, when I tried to pop them out, and install the new LED units, I couldn't get the OEs to release themselves from the fascia. I didn't want to "muscle" them out, and damage anything. Is there some sort of trick to removing them??

Old 05-11-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

A small blade screwdriver inserted in the small cutout and catching the tang should be able to remove assembly.

Insert small flat blade screwdriver and pull the tang in towards the lamp body on this one side ​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
leadfoot4 (05-13-2021), wombat (05-11-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Yes they are a bit tight. I did mine on a lift which helped a lot with the angle of attack!
It's hard to see the small cut out as you need to pry on one side of the assembly that has the tab as XJsss showed above.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yes they are a bit tight. I did mine on a lift which helped a lot with the angle of attack!
It's hard to see the small cut out as you need to pry on one side of the assembly that has the tab as XJsss showed above.
I SO desperately wanted to install a 4 post lift, when I had to expand my garage, a number of years ago, but the initial construction cost eroded my budget, so I wasn't able to do it, therefore I'm still crawling around on the garage floor. On the other hand, I can still recall crawling around on the driveway, at my parent's house, when I was younger, as the house they purchased didn't have a garage...

Nonetheless, I'm able to see the opening in the fascia, adjacent to the light's housing, but I can only get the lamp to rotate down about 1/8-3/16", then it hangs up. As previously mentioned, I don't want to damage anything, so maybe I'm being overly careful. I'll resume the battle shortly....

Old 05-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well I certainly miss my 2 post lift for sure!!

Makes it so easy that I looked at the car more often and in great detail. Only issue is with a 2 post lift you need to get on the ground to place the lift arms properly. Had to sell out that place and move. Currently don't have a lift and it's badly missed!

Did see a nice portable 4 post unit at this years Mecum auction that was very interesting but I have found the 4 post units take up more space and it's more difficult to work on the car. But very simple to use as you just drive on without having to align the car and worry about balancing it.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Did see a nice portable 4 post unit at this years Mecum auction that was very interesting but I have found the 4 post units take up more space and it's more difficult to work on the car. But very simple to use as you just drive on without having to align the car and worry about balancing it.
My initial desire for a 4 post lift, was for storage purposes. I had a 2 car garage, for my own use, at my parents house, for a number of years. However, my mother developed dementia, and had to relocate to an assisted living facility. The house had to be sold, so I lost my "workshop", as well as my car storage space. I added on to the garage at my home, but I couldn't add a 2 car wide addition, so I built the inside structure to accommodate the height of a 4 post deal. However, the construction itself, ate up my budget...... (beside the storage, I was thinking wheel alignment capability)

Anyway, back to license plate lamps. I managed to remove the OE lamp, about an hour, and was unpleasantly surprised. Either I ordered the incorrect lamps, or the 2016 model year uses a different lamp. Also, as I previously mentioned, the OE lamps seem to be of some sort of "high intensity" design, as their light is very "white". Pictures are below....

Images 1 and 2 are the OE lamps, and 3 and 4 are the aftermarket LED lamps.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Well sorry about that as yours does seem different?
Mine is a 2014 and it had the same pigtail so easy to change. I can't make out how your lights connect? No wires sticking out?
Is there a plug or socket in the car?

The listings on EBay list 2016 as compatible too? So not sure what happened.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Well sorry about that as yours does seem different?
Mine is a 2014 and it had the same pigtail so easy to change. I can't make out how your lights connect? No wires sticking out?
Is there a plug or socket in the car?

The listings on EBay list 2016 as compatible too? So not sure what happened.
On my car, the wire harness has a "male" plug, and a "female" socket is built into the lamp housing....................(is that even politically correct, to use that terminology?? )

Old 06-01-2021, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After waiting for over a year, I finally got new wheels and tires. I was planning to go with 21s, but finally decided to keep the OEM spec and get 20s.

Vossen VFS-2 powder coated gloss black with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The wheels were coated with CQUARTZ DLUX and the tires were coated with Optimum Tire Coating.

The grill is from mina gallery and I cut the top to make it fit with the front facing camera. When the bumper was off, also painted the cross bar black so the front is completely blacked out when looking directly at it.

My next and probably last upgrade is going to be the Velocity ECU Tune which should be arriving tomorrow (super excited). Looking forward to getting an additional 70hp boost.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Artie
After waiting for over a year, I finally got new wheels and tires. I was planning to go with 21s, but finally decided to keep the OEM spec and get 20s.

Vossen VFS-2 powder coated gloss black with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The wheels were coated with CQUARTZ DLUX and the tires were coated with Optimum Tire Coating.

The grill is from mina gallery and I cut the top to make it fit with the front facing camera. When the bumper was off, also painted the cross bar black so the front is completely blacked out when looking directly at it.

My next and probably last upgrade is going to be the Velocity ECU Tune which should be arriving tomorrow (super excited). Looking forward to getting an additional 70hp boost.

Love the wheels. Where did you get them? I’m in CA too.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:34 PM

Thanks. I got them at California Wheels in Campbell.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Artie
When the bumper was off, also painted the cross bar black so the front is completely blacked out when looking directly at it.

Looks nice, great job on those wheels. How hard are they to keep clean?
I had the same idea on that cross bar.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM

I've only washed them once so far and it was a breeze due to the coating. I'm sure wiping down all the spokes and angles will get kinda annoying over time, but I recently got into car detailing so I'm enjoying the process.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by demiroquai

The XJ rear. As you can see I have tinted the lights but cut out the turn signal to give it an extra pop. Also instead of removing the badges I decided to get those darkened up a bit as well. You’ll also notice I have an electronica license plate on the back.

Xj front. Black out grill trim and around the bumper.

XJ from the side. I have done limo tent all the way around with the exception of the windshield.
I don't know where you live, but they must be very understanding. Here in NY, those windows would get you pulled over so fast it would make your head spin. I actually got into an argument with a cop about the way that they came from the factory on my 300c, he wanted to ticket me for the way ALL 300c came from the factory, luckily ,I was able to point out several cars that passed by with the same thing, he left, but wasn't very happy...

Old 06-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizzley1
I don't know where you live, but they must be very understanding. Here in NY, those windows would get you pulled over so fast it would make your head spin. I actually got into an argument with a cop about the way that they came from the factory on my 300c, he wanted to ticket me for the way ALL 300c came from the factory, luckily ,I was able to point out several cars that passed by with the same thing, he left, but wasn't very happy...
Ha. CA will let you go limo in the back. We’re not supposed to have tint in the front but it’s up to the discretion of the cop. I have never been pulled over for tint… *knock on wood*

Old 06-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Default He's Right

Figured it was time to post a picture of my 2011 XJ-L, 40,000 on the clock and the guy who said they got it right the first time. A friend said to pinstripe it,but seemed uneccery. My first Jag and I love it.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Unusual to see the leaper on that model too.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Default Maybe so

Unusual to see the leaper on that model too.
But it really makes the car stand out...IMHO

The following users liked this post:
Quietgiant (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 06:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree! Leapers are classic.
Yo, Grizzley. I agree that Leapers are cool too!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X351 today?