XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What did you do to your X351 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks! Yes, I like the Mataiva's for my winter driving, but am not a huge fan of the spoked Kasuga style which my current summer tires are on.
I'm always on the lookout for lighted sills on eBay or scrap, as I'm not willing to pay a premium for them, but they are pretty cool.

The headlights would be a pretty cool upgrade. The Osmium Blue spec was only a 2014 model offering IIRC, and at that time they carried these old style headlights. This color can also be referred to as Crystal Blue Metallic, and there are slight hex differences between them but I'm a "close enough" guy .

Old 05-24-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by on1r1
Unfortunately I am unable to provide before/after IAT figures. Since the airboxes get hot too I'll wrap those tonight if there's time and post the bling.

Next thing you know:

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that looks really clean; just not my cup of tea.
WOW!!!

Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by on1r1
Since she's up and running again, I've added some DEI reflect-a-gold tape around the Mina intake tubing. I didn't do a very good job keeping away the wrinkles but i can actually touch it without leaving a patch of skin. Will probably do the airboxes too.

Neat !!!

Old 06-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I completed an oil/filter change yesterday after 1 year and less than 3k miles, and was dismayed to find metal bits and shavings in the old oil but nothing in the old filter. I'm wondering if my switch to 0w-20 in early 2020 per Jaguar TSB has anything to do with this. I went back to 5w-20 this time so we'll see what happens. Or maybe I shouldn't have gone a whole year, even though I did less than 3k miles? I regularly check the oil level and an appropriate amount drained out but I'm thinking maybe I should measure it to get an idea of how much was in there. Any way, I'm not too thrilled.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I completed an oil/filter change yesterday after 1 year and less than 3k miles, and was dismayed to find metal bits and shavings in the old oil but nothing in the old filter. I'm wondering if my switch to 0w-20 in early 2020 per Jaguar TSB has anything to do with this. I went back to 5w-20 this time so we'll see what happens. Or maybe I shouldn't have gone a whole year, even though I did less than 3k miles? I regularly check the oil level and an appropriate amount drained out but I'm thinking maybe I should measure it to get an idea of how much was in there. Any way, I'm not too thrilled.
How many miles on the odometer now. Yearly oil change is certainty appropriate unless the mileage is over the oil change limit and 3k certainly is not in my opinion. I change around 6k ar a year or less depending on mileage since last change.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I know from your past posts that the car has been maintained very well so would not expect that?
Can't explain no shavings in the filter? Should have trapped some of it.

Any chance the metal fell into the pan or the pan has some junk in it prior to the oil drain?
Just guessing here?

You got me worried because I have done exactly as you have. Moved to 0W-20 as per Jaguar's later recommendation from the original 5W-20 oil.
Sure hope that is not the problem!

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-14-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leaddog11
How many miles on the odometer now. Yearly oil change is certainty appropriate unless the mileage is over the oil change limit and 3k certainly is not in my opinion. I change around 6k ar a year or less depending on mileage since last change.
I'm at 125,595 now. Less than 3k miles done over the past year.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Sorry to hear that! I know from your past posts that the car has been maintained very well so would not expect that?
Can't explain no shavings in the filter? Should have trapped some of it.

Any chance the metal fell into the pan or the pan has some junk in it prior to the oil drain?
Just guessing here?

You got me worried because I have done exactly as you have. Moved to 0W-20 as per Jaguar's later recommendation from the original 5W-20 oil.
Sure hope that is not the problem!
I can't conceive of any metal falling into the pan...unless it has something to do with a few of my injectors failing in May of last year. I did an oil change immediately after I got the car back from the shop (which was the last oil change until this past weekend) but I don't recall seeing any shavings or bits at the time (but to be honest, I don't recall really looking for them either).

I might wait a month or two, and then do another oil change to see what happens, then maybe drop the pan if there are more shavings. Beyond that, I don't know what else I could realistically do to help the situation.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 06-14-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I agree, and that is pretty much been the change interval for both of the XJ-Ls that we've had, the 2012, which unfortunately was wrecked, and the 2016 that replaced it. Both of those cars were/are driven approximately 3000 miles per year, and the oil change and annually required NY State safety inspection were done at the same, by the dealer.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alarm

Had ghost alarm fitted today

Old 07-27-2022, 03:39 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Wow big list of stuff accomplished, congrats!!!

If you ever want to test out more wheel/tires I have an extra set of 20” Kasugas with Michelins in SoCal just sitting in my backyard. Happy to let you A/B test them if it helps you figure out your handling issue.
ever considered selling them? where in SoCal?

Old 07-27-2022, 11:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Unnecessary yes, but subtle enough?

Old 08-01-2022, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Really ?

I still can't believe with all the mods that you guys are making, the one thing that this model NEEDS is a Leaper. If not on this model then what? Really gets a lot of attention. Definitely a must. IMHO.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:46 AM
Old 08-02-2022, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzley1
I still can't believe with all the mods that you guys are making, the one thing that this model NEEDS is a Leaper. If not on this model then what? Really gets a lot of attention. Definitely a must. IMHO.
Here you go.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Poor man's Jaguar ...

The following users liked this post:
Grizzley1 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 01:49 PM
Received 237 Likes on 180 Posts

Hello,

Today i changed the transmission oil.
Purchased ZF kit, what included 7 liter of oil, electric connector sleeve, mechatronic sleeves, oilpan and screws. Old electric conector sleeve got stuck, and i spend some fun time with it. Didint first notice that when i first try to get it out, it moved bit sideways and got stuck. Even medium level "furious monkey" yanking did not make it come out. Once i pushed back in and used multigrip pliers for new try, it just fly out. Otherwise easy peasy, straight forward job with good instructions by ZF. Old oil did not look bad and oilpan magnets did not have unnormal amount metal flakes. Jag have now seen 290tkm road.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vasara
Hello,

Today i changed the transmission oil.
Purchased ZF kit, what included 7 liter of oil, electric connector sleeve, mechatronic sleeves, oilpan and screws. Old electric conector sleeve got stuck, and i spend some fun time with it. Didint first notice that when i first try to get it out, it moved bit sideways and got stuck. Even medium level "furious monkey" yanking did not make it come out. Once i pushed back in and used multigrip pliers for new try, it just fly out. Otherwise easy peasy, straight forward job with good instructions by ZF. Old oil did not look bad and oilpan magnets did not have unnormal amount metal flakes. Jag have now seen 290tkm road.
Wow 180t miles. Great. Any coolant leaks all that mileage??

Old 08-07-2022, 07:33 AM
Received 237 Likes on 180 Posts

Wow 180t miles. Great. Any coolant leaks all that mileage??
Not a drop. Its even still have the original waterpump, but as a 3.0l diesel engine do not share same components than 3.0/5.0 petrol, the coolant leaks are not very common.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Damnation. My water pump gave up the ghost today. Thankfully the Low Coolant alert came up just as I was coasting into my garage at the same moment I noticed the puddle on the floor I had left behind when I left about 30 mins prior. I had caught a quick glimpse of the puddle while backing out but I thought it was AC condensation. Thank God the engine didn't overheat out on the road somewhere. This Beck Arnely 131-2464 pump has done about 18k miles over the past 3 years. Time to do some research and see if a better option has surfaced since then.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Damnation. My water pump gave up the ghost today. Thankfully the Low Coolant alert came up just as I was coasting into my garage at the same moment I noticed the puddle on the floor I had left behind when I left about 30 mins prior. I had caught a quick glimpse of the puddle while backing out but I thought it was AC condensation. Thank God the engine didn't overheat out on the road somewhere. This Beck Arnely 131-2464 pump has done about 18k miles over the past 3 years. Time to do some research and see if a better option has surfaced since then.
So how many pumps have you been through and what was mileage when first one died. Glad you caught it in time.
We have 27k miles on our 2013 5.0l and no problems....yet.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X351 today?