XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What did you do to your X351 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 10:04 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 XJR L

a nice thorough wash =)
As soon as I saw your pics I thought you must be in San Francisco due to how you park with your wheels angled towards the curb, then looked at your details to see that was correct. I remember years ago being told this is how you are supposed to park, I don't think we have enough hills here in the UK haha

The following users liked this post:
2015 XJR L (04-15-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think there are that many XJR owners on this forum, but if anyone is interested in more Farallon wheel stickers, Jaguar NA refused to help me further (not that they didn't try, the CS person was really nice).
It's not an orderable PN - I suggested if they can write me a letter for this part number to buy from the factory supplier, I would be happy to reach out, I venture a 99% guess that SuperAlloy Company in TW makes these for JLR.
It makes no economic sense to buy new wheels for just a sticker. I will be custom making my own if anyone is interested. A few Jaguar parts suppliers I talked to said they may be interested in stocking a few, so that's enough to make it viable for me.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:14 PM
Received 290 Likes on 85 Posts

So, roviw, it's funny that you mention this topic.......... And by funny, I mean I am no longer grumpy and therefore able to laugh or roll my eyes about it. So, I have lived in San Francisco for almost two years and I had visited frequently before living here. I never once turned my wheels while parking any vehicle, regardless of the street or which vehicle I was in. I never received a ticket or a warning, not one time. After about four months of owning this vehicle, I got a ticket for my wheels not being turned, and this was on a road that was barely even sloped. It was a ticket from the parking ticket entity, not from any real law enforcement agency. It's funny, nobody ever gave me a ticket in the Camry! -___- Perfectly straight wheels on many, many streets for several years. -___- Anyway, so I kept parking without turning my wheels, but then I parked someone else's vehicle and got another ticket for the same thing, and again on a road that barely had an incline where it was. So, for the past six weeks or so, I have been parking in this manner that I dislike, as I don't have any interest in paying more money for something that I can easily adjust. Ugh. Oh well! =P Thanks for reading.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have the exact same rims and when I had them re-powder coated I let the shop remove those 4 small bits. They got it done with no damage but I don't know how they did it?
What's the Kamikaze Wheel Coating? Sounds interesting?

I had mine done in metallic charcoal. Fairly close to the factory Farallon grey color.
here are the photos with the coating applied
its more noticeably slick in person as expected
2 light coats in front two thick in the barrel

Old 04-01-2023, 08:59 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dmchao
Got my Farallon wheels back from the coaters! It's an exciting day.

If anyone has a source for the poly emblems, that would be helpful. I damaged mine getting them off and ready for coating. I may get them custom made at a Domed Tag supplier I know, but it's kind of cost prohibitive to get the OEM look ($100 for 4 stickers lol). Will be applying Kamikaze Wheel Coating tomorrow.

Before Clear

Mounted and Balanced
Sent you a message to check dimensions here is a mock up. Looks liek your are carbon? I can try to add a carbon fiber look, not sure how it would come out when they are made

Old 04-01-2023, 09:04 AM

Thanks! No, they are just logo ink labeled on black backing I think. Looks good to me! Are you able to dome the label you said?

Old 04-01-2023, 09:14 AM

Yeah its domed, not epoxy though it's UV resistent urathane rubber. Very durable. have had them as wheel caps and hood badges for years (need to be cleaned and wax/whatever protection woud not hurt. I got you sizes from the DM. I will work up a price but most likely $30 bucks for 4. If you want I can do more, so 50 for 8 incase you think you may need spares. The more I make the cheaper they are

dmchao (04-03-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Yea I am with you on the black wheels but they were stock with my red car. I also choose a satin finish as I really don't like the shiny black finish on rims.

dmchao (04-01-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Default XJR Build Progress

Y’all probably tired of me posting

finished coating my new wheels and have them on the car. In my excitement I forgot the 2016 model year switched TPMS frequency so I need to replace all 4 TPMS this month instead of swapping it when I had the wheels out for coating

Waiting for my carbon fiber hood to arrive and then my build will be close to complete.

The following 3 users liked this post by dmchao:
2015 XJR L (04-09-2023), Grizzley1 (04-10-2023), XJ8JR (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 06:19 PM

This shoudl be good....

dmchao (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Still a great color on that car!
Really fits too.

dmchao (04-05-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking the same upgrades especially body work. How far you progressed?

dmchao (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clovis997
I am thinking the same upgrades especially body work. How far you progressed?
front and rear suspension links/sway bars, crank pulley and tune, all body panels except front and rear bumper and pending the hood/bonnet just haven’t had time yet. The fenders are the same because I don’t care about the badging.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Got my headlights polished today. And put on protecting film on it, to prevent further bluring.

Next, will have to find the way to fix bumpers top side fixing place, where plastic is torn and screw does not hold it

It looks something like this (only example from net)

The following 4 users liked this post by Norbertas:
2015 XJR L (05-05-2023), dmchao (05-05-2023), lotusespritse (04-19-2024), XJ8JR (05-08-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XJL rear vanity mirrors: These are a flying POS. I pulled them out using a trick found on this site. Both had broken plastic hinge pins and refused to stay up and turn off. I disconnected them and gutted the insides so they would not fall open. Originals were made in CZ. I see where replacements are made in PRC. Does anyone have a permanent fix so that they will actually work? The dealer charge of $300 to $400 for the parts is not a reasonable answer.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:28 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbertas
Next, will have to find the way to fix bumpers top side fixing place, where plastic is torn and screw does not hold it
Look for a "plastic welding kit", consisting of a soldering iron with a large flat tip, a few pieces of metal window screen and some sacrificial plastic rods. I got mine at Harbor Freight for less than $20 and used it to successfully repair a front wheel spoiler. You should be able to reconstruct a mounting ear on your front cover. It will be hidden, so a pretty job is not necessary.

KiwiJon (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:09 AM
zYx
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So recently, I started getting the following trouble codes and eventually EML:
P20EE-00, P20EE-04 and P20EE-92 - SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

I had a look at the pinpoint tests in the workshop manual:
  • Incorrect DEF quality - unlikely because I use the same stuff/brand (GreenChem DEF) JLR are using, just 10x cheaper
  • Incorrect fluid type (coolant, screenwash,diesel, etc) - unlikely
  • Induction air leaks - unlikely
  • Exhaust gas leaks - unlikely
  • SCR deposits or contamination - possibly, but I'm staying positive in thinking it is unlikely the cause - I mean how many of you had to replace SCR?
  • NOx sensor issues - possibly, but unlikely
  • PCM software - unlikely
Prioritised List of Possible Causes:
  • Defective SCR catalyst (aged) unlikely
  • Deficient DEF reagent delivery likely
  • Diesel exhaust fluid injector partial delivery likely
  • Damaged exhaust metalwork unlikely
  • SCR catalyst damage unlikely

Before replacing a £500 NOx sensor, I will try with the incorrect DEF dosage (i.e. blocked injector). So this is what I did today... although the 3 tiny pinholes did not appear to be blocked on the injector, I think they were blocked by the ash deposits on the injector socket, so what NOx was expecting was not happening. Look at what came out of the SCR injector socket... so I shall leave it and observe what will happen.

The whole job took 1 hour longer because I had to pop out to Screwfix and get an M5 bolt replacement...

Old 05-21-2023, 11:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fixing them

Originally Posted by X351
XJL rear vanity mirrors: These are a flying POS. I pulled them out using a trick found on this site. Both had broken plastic hinge pins and refused to stay up and turn off. I disconnected them and gutted the insides so they would not fall open. Originals were made in CZ. I see where replacements are made in PRC. Does anyone have a permanent fix so that they will actually work? The dealer charge of $300 to $400 for the parts is not a reasonable answer.
look on YouTube for fixing things with crazy glue, you'll be amazed at how a little crazy glue and some cigarette ashes can make some unbelievable repairs, too many to list, but they work, and work well.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This picture

Originally Posted by X351
We should get a different picture for the start of this thread...I always click on it by accident, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but this is the ugliest jaguar on the fourem. JMHO.
Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Yikes

Old 05-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Actually you need to use baking soda and Isocyanate glue. I did not believe it but it does seem to work and I have used multiple times so far.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X351 today?