XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What go FAST/ STOP goodies have you installed on your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 11:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What go FAST/ STOP goodies have you installed on your XJ

.... and what do you like/ not like about them?

I will install both performance pulleys on the car, but not sure who I will use to tune it. I used VAP for my F Type. I will look for two piece rotors and stock F Type R exhaust (mufflers only) if they fit & high flow cats. I also want to look into removing air suspension and setting it up like the XJ R if possible.

What about you guys, what have you installed that you like, or that you wish you hadn't?

The following users liked this post:
KiwiJon (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I have an XJR and it has the air suspension in the rear still?

Old 12-28-2022, 03:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I shouldn’t. It’s my “old man car” for making traffic congestion more bearable.

but I would.

Dan's cat (01-03-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 07:50 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I just put the VAP tune on the ECU. Took it from 340HP to a claimed 416 by VAP. At the time I did it the cost was $995.00.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have an XJR and it has the air suspension in the rear still?
Interesting, I have no idea, just assume. I'm sure it is a much better setup than in my 2011. Mine doesn't sag and there are no codes, but I feel like the *** wags too much when going over bumps/ uneven surfaces on the highway.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MV Rider
I just put the VAP tune on the ECU. Took it from 340HP to a claimed 416 by VAP. At the time I did it the cost was $995.00.
Nice! I'm planning on doing both pulleys, but still not sure which company I will use for the tune. I have of course heard of VAP as I used them for my F Type, but there is Veazu and another one I have seen some advertising for.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

No the 2011 and 2014 models have the same suspension. I don't think much changed for the entire run 2010-2019.
There were spring/sway bar/bushing/wheel/Brake differences as well as programming differences because of V6, V8, XJR models but the car itself was the same.

Dan's cat (01-17-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:54 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Nice! I'm planning on doing both pulleys, but still not sure which company I will use for the tune. I have of course heard of VAP as I used them for my F Type, but there is Veazu and another one I have seen some advertising for.
I am sure there are other tuners out there but I figured that a company that does tuning work with Ferrari, Lambourghini and Aston Martin could help me out. You screw up somebody's Ferrari or Lambo V12 and your reputation will be get ruined very quickly.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MV Rider
I am sure there are other tuners out there but I figured that a company that does tuning work with Ferrari, Lambourghini and Aston Martin could help me out. You screw up somebody's Ferrari or Lambo V12 and your reputation will be get ruined very quickly.
Hello, MV Rider, yes I agree with you, but I think it is also possible to be overly conservative when dealing with such expensive cars and I would do the same, as I did with the F, but this thing is an auction buy for $8k, so I am going to have some fun with it. lol

Old 01-17-2023, 03:23 PM

Is it easer/ to change the upper/ lower control arm bushings, or the entire unit? I am considering replacing for bushings mostly and switching to XJR sway bar from what I read. What performance bushings do you guys recommend? I want to do tie rod ends as well and then have four wheel alignment.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Kind of hard to say? People have done it both ways.
Do you have a press and some experience using it to press bushings in and out? As you know this is a bit technique sensitive and the arms are Aluminum so you can bend and distort them with the press.

So cheaper for sure but much more time and effort. Now this is argued a bit on here? We have PowerFlex USA Polyurethane bushings available for many if not all the front and rear suspension bushings.

PowerFlex Poly Bushings

We have had several guys load up on these and then find the car rides too hard. They went back to the factory rubber ones. So again up to you but the XJ tends much more towards luxury rather than performance/handling and I find the trade offs the factory did to be very satisfactory. Now I have an XJR so it is tuned to ride rougher but handle better compared to a non-XJR. I have driven both and don't find the XJR harsh at all but some people might .

I have become lazier as I get older and I now prefer to replace the entire arm. Although that still bugs me somewhat because I have always repaired rather then replaced things. Your throwing out a very nice forged Aluminum suspension arm that has nothing wrong with it!

One thing to note is the upper drivers side will likely be a bitch at least the rear will be. Stuff in the way and terrible access. Be prepared to get a bit frustrated with that one!

Oh do you have a lift?

Dan's cat (01-20-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

The chassis/suspension is almost identical in the XJ/XJL vs XJR short and long wheelbase versions. There are plenty of "revisions" but that's part number gamesmanship to error proof and allow dealers to charge different prices for different components even though the castings are the same.

I have no complaints with the VAP tune. The 2011 you have and my car are both limited by the transmission capabilities. The spec sheet on the ZF transmission is accurate if you care about "reliability". One of my best friends designs at ZF and showed me their test data. You should have bought an 8 speed XJ if you wanted the most power.

I swapped the XJ front/rear suspension bushings to Powerflex, it rides great but squeaks. I'm probably switching back to stock in the near future.
I'm just looking for Farallon forged wheels to complete the look I'm going for, and a carbon fiber bonnet from VehicleRevolutions after tax day.
My signature has my limited mods. I have plans to work on the cooling system but I have not started data logging.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Kind of hard to say? People have done it both ways.
Do you have a press and some experience using it to press bushings in and out? As you know this is a bit technique sensitive and the arms are Aluminum so you can bend and distort them with the press.

So cheaper for sure but much more time and effort. Now this is argued a bit on here? We have PowerFlex USA Polyurethane bushings available for many if not all the front and rear suspension bushings.

PowerFlex Poly Bushings

We have had several guys load up on these and then find the car rides too hard. They went back to the factory rubber ones. So again up to you but the XJ tends much more towards luxury rather than performance/handling and I find the trade offs the factory did to be very satisfactory. Now I have an XJR so it is tuned to ride rougher but handle better compared to a non-XJR. I have driven both and don't find the XJR harsh at all but some people might .

I have become lazier as I get older and I now prefer to replace the entire arm. Although that still bugs me somewhat because I have always repaired rather then replaced things. Your throwing out a very nice forged Aluminum suspension arm that has nothing wrong with it!

One thing to note is the upper drivers side will likely be a bitch at least the rear will be. Stuff in the way and terrible access. Be prepared to get a bit frustrated with that one!

Oh do you have a lift?
geez I don’t have a lift, nor a press, or any experience for that matter. I do like the stiff, sportier ride though. Makes me feel more connected to the road.

I think this car may have some mods already. I hear the rumble of the exhaust over the supercharger and when engaging full passing gear at like 50, the nose just lifts and it picks up soooo quickly.

I had opportunity to test drive a 2012 that I know is stock and I could hear whine over exhaust, and it definitely didn’t pick up as quickly as mine. Felt way more subdued. The ride was better though, so I can tell bad suspension bushings in my car.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dmchao
The chassis/suspension is almost identical in the XJ/XJL vs XJR short and long wheelbase versions. There are plenty of "revisions" but that's part number gamesmanship to error proof and allow dealers to charge different prices for different components even though the castings are the same.

I have no complaints with the VAP tune. The 2011 you have and my car are both limited by the transmission capabilities. The spec sheet on the ZF transmission is accurate if you care about "reliability". One of my best friends designs at ZF and showed me their test data. You should have bought an 8 speed XJ if you wanted the most power.

I swapped the XJ front/rear suspension bushings to Powerflex, it rides great but squeaks. I'm probably switching back to stock in the near future.
I'm just looking for Farallon forged wheels to complete the look I'm going for, and a carbon fiber bonnet from VehicleRevolutions after tax day.
My signature has my limited mods. I have plans to work on the cooling system but I have not started data logging.
dmchao,
I don’t understand how, but all of the bushing look work out. I’m sure even OEM ones would feel so much sportier at this point. I would like to change as much of what I can to XJR as I go along, since I am doing it anyway.

do you just have a tune, or pulley(s) as well?