XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What Made You Choose The XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What Made You Choose The XJ?

So I was driving into work today and waxing poetic about how fortunate I am to be sitting in such a beautiful automobile, and I starting thinking about how excited I was when I first got my XJ.

It got me reminiscing about all the test drives I took in 750i's, S550's, LS460's, and A8's, trying to decide what to buy, but I remember being hooked from the first moment I sat in the Jag. So much character that the other cars couldn't match, so unique and unlike anything else on the road, and the performance and handling is completely unmatched.

I'm wondering what made you decide to buy your X351 over any of the other fine offerings on the market. I'm sure we all have a different reason; it would be cool to hear some!

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually went to test drive the XF but as I pulled up at Jaguar I parked infront of the XJ. It was my wife who pointed out what a lovely car it was and from that day, I fell in love with them and went on to finally purchase my first Jag this year.
I think the interior is far better than most cars on the market, for example Audi and BMW, they don't even come close. I wasn't sure about the rear end of the XJ to start with, but now I really love it plus it does stand out from other cars on the road.
My next car will certainly be another Jag I would love the V8 or supercharged version next as I do miss the engine noise, but the diesel version when warmed up doesn't sound too bad I guess

Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I hear the XJ rides rougher and noisier than S550. What was your impression?

If I ever sell my X350 to an non-low ball offer I would probably get a '13 XJ SC.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,888 Likes on 3,195 Posts

a6kmita, my decision started nearly 30 years ago. I grew up in a small farming town. So, the concept of driving a BMW, Jaguar, or other nice car was what the town folk had with their "high class jobs". Someone in my area had a relative that owned a early 80's XJ and they would drive into town. I fell in love with the lines of the car and way back then I made a promise to myself that one day I would drive an XJ. Well, after being able to retire (for the first time) at 38 and getting a very well paying job (maintenance at a nuclear power plant), I traded in my X-Type (which was a quazi completion of my goal) for the X351 I have today. All the guys I work with know it is me and they are all in amazement as to how I can drive a car like that. I have to laugh because these are the same guys that bought a truck that costs $20K more than I paid for my XJ (keep in mind I bought mine 3 years old). I just shake my head and laugh at them and walk away. They stand there dumb founded.

retriever-007 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This is such a beautiful looking automobile, particularly the XJL style. I prefer the long wheelbase because it has such classy and smooth lines compared to the M-B, Audi, and Lexus (my opinion and you may not agree but that's ok).
I get so many compliments on this automobile. After purchasing my XJL one day I noticed a truck following me kinda close. I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and the truck was still behind me. When I parked, the driver pulled up right beside me and his passenger rolled down the window and said he thought this XJL was a beautiful car. I didn't know the man but it just goes to show you that this automobile commands a lot of attention.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me it was the way the car made me feel. I test drove S-Class, 7-Series, A8, and XJ pretty much back to bace and though on paper the Germans were better with vastly better infotainment the XJ just felt special. I like the way if feels like it was screwed together buy a guy called Steve who loves cars.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

it was 100% the way the car felt and looked. my family has had a whole bunch of S-Classes, 7 Series, A8's....but the Jag was always my favorite.

funny thing is i dont really like big cars, but something about this one makes it a no brainer for me, even in long wheelbase spec!! i wouldnt even consider getting a short wheelbase.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

While my wife and I owned a Jaguar once before, we came to our current one as a replacement for our beloved, but aging, Rolls-Royce Silver Spur. The Rolls-Royces built since the company was acquired by BMW just do not appeal to me. Since we had no interest in going that route, we decided to look at Jaguars again. The quality of the interior leather, wood, etc. comes very close to that found in the Rolls-Royce and, truth be known, after years of looking at those neat burl walnut picnic trays in the rear, cars without them looked rather plain. With the XJL Supercharged, we found more than adequate power, better handling, better headroom, and an interior that was very comparable for considerably less money. It does not ride as smoothly or quietly as the Rolls, but it has decidedly more "personality". Interestingly, in our neck of the woods (rural area where luxury usually means Cadillac or Lincoln) it garners about the same amount of attention that the Rolls did; perhaps even a little more because people view it as being slightly more approachable. We have not regretted our decision to go Jaguar.

Dwayne

Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dga57
it garners about the same amount of attention that the Rolls did; perhaps even a little more because people view it as being slightly more approachable.
Yes Rolls owners tend to be the stuck-up, overbearing type, at least the ones I've come across. Although I would like to 'investigate' ownership of a "Ghost" when it depreciates to Jaguar territory.

Last edited by Wolfy; 12-02-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Yes Rolls owners tend to be the stuck-up, overbearing type, at least the ones I've come across. Although I would like to 'investigate' ownership of a "Ghost" when it depreciates to Jaguar territory.
The worst part of the RR ownership experience was becoming a member of the RROC. "Stuck-up" and "overbearing" are the nicest things I can think of to say about the folks on that site! I put up with it, and even paid $100 per year for the privilege, because ownership of that type of car without a resource for reliable information is just foolhardy. On the day after I traded it in on my XJL I emailed the top two people in the RROC and told them, in no uncertain terms, exactly what I thought of their club. Jaguar people are SO much friendlier!

Dwayne

Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Stunning design (inside and out) paired with jaw-dropping performance. I am yet to finish a drive and not look back at the vehicle with admiration of all that it is as I walk away. Such a great feeling.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fell in love with them back in 2010 or 2011 when they came out with that body style. So this year I turned in my 750Li for the white XJL portfolio and been turning heads every since.
I get soooooo many compliments everywhere I go.

roviw (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I first saw one in Singapore in 2014. After that, I couldn't get the car out of my head.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

I was pretty much settled on an XF Sport (V6 supercharged) I found at the local dealer. I went back for one more test drive. The XJ had never really been on the radar, but they had one for the same price as the XF and suggested I drive that for comparison.

The XJ seemed like so much more car for the money. The interior on the newer XFs is the weak point, rather dull, while I don't have to tell you how awesome the XJ interior is.

Driving-wise, the XJ is quieter, about the same for smoothness. I think the XF is a better all-round drivers car though. But at my age (50) I'm more about comfort than performance, not to say that the XJ can't handle when it needs to.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,355 Likes on 1,855 Posts

I have to agree with Mark SF above. I was on the hunt for an XFR and found a great Kyanite blue one but it was sold out from under me the next day.
Then I stayed looking until I ran across a 2014 XJR. The do depreciate very fast.
Man all it took was one drive and the 550HP sold me.

With a tune and pulley it's really strong now!!
Just a very nice combination of power, braking, handling and most surprising of all great gas mileage!

Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Great move!!!!!

Old 04-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

We had a 1995 XJ6 in that pretty pearl baby blue color with a beige interior. Very smooth car and built like a tank. That was the start of the Jaguar experience, but sun roof started to rust, common problem, so I was time to let it go before it looked horrid. Next was a 2000 XJ8 in Silver ext black int, under warranty fixed the hazy veneers, a typical issue. This was another tank but with a smooth and powerful 4.2l V8, and right after fixing the dreaded timing chain guides, at the tune of 3,000 US dollars at the Indy, a foster kid we were hosting in our house took it out and crashed it! Next a 2005 Black on black XJL was next, wow what a different car with the aluminum body, never had issues with the air ride, but the chrome taillight trims liked to pop out, the previous owner had an antenna of sorts and they drilled in a spot that inundated the the spare well and rear fuse panel in a heavy rain storm and electrical Gremlins started to appear. A new fuse panel and lots of troubleshooting including new fiber optics cable for the sound systems got things up and running. But we decided to get rid of it afraid of the next big issue. Now just recently picked up a Black with London tan and Jet alcantara top, 2013 XJL 5.0l SC, so far so good but putting things back in order after the previous owner let a few things go on it, rear broken wheel nuts, brakes and aux. batt, axle boots older design. We flew into Fl based on just pics. We drove it from Florida to Massachusetts, this
in an attempt to find a rust free example, I drove a Sport near me and had to have the black headliner, that became a must have for me, that took out about 90 percent of the cars from the list, I also needed it to be the V8 SC as the 3.0l AWD we drove did not feel like it had character and felt too utilitarian. Anyways let’s fix this bad boy to spec and start to enjoy.

Last edited by ricardoa1; 04-18-2020 at 09:52 PM.
ABrice (05-06-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truly, Like a cat -- IT found me! It was the only one on a M-B lot. The Jaguar dealer next door did not even seem to indicate they had pre-owned Jag's. One other dealer on the other side of town had none in inventory. Since I really had nothing to compare it to - Jaguar, wise; I took it on its own merits. I liked the looks, ride, reputation in reviews and price (2015 XJ with 31k miles). It had good pedigree for prior lease/owner and by coincidence; when I set up the first service - the rep. at the dealer was the same one that the prior owner used! I felt particularly good about the entire 'event' and have not felt any remorse or discovered any horrible pre-owned issues. Since there are so few in the area I live in (Denver) - It gets the attention like all the other European exotics.