XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What would you change in your xj?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooo, so impressive! Big fast cars and such all-knowing expert. Such big man.

Is it just me or do I detect a desperate need for attention, recognition and confirmation? Hmmm.... Is it to compensate for growing up with an overbearing father who can never be satisfied, significant weight problems or maybe inadequacies in "other areas"?

Sorry folks, I just had to.... It's just too easy. OK. I know I am being very bad. I will not do this again, I promise.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Holein1
Oooo, so impressive! Big fast cars and such all-knowing expert. Such big man.

Is it just me or do I detect a desperate need for attention, recognition and confirmation? Hmmm.... Is it to compensate for growing up with an overbearing father who can never be satisfied, significant weight problems or maybe inadequacies in "other areas"?

Sorry folks, I just had to.... It's just too easy. OK. I know I am being very bad. I will not do this again, I promise.
Hmmm.... Let's just say that you would make a terrible psychologist, as well: No overbearing father, many times Nat. Champion in rowing and ex-member of the US Team in kayaking (still winning all my wildwater competitions these days, so no weight issues, either) and, no other "inadequacies" that you seem to suggest . Nice try though but, total FAIL. Perhaps, you should stick to palm-reading!

While you think that you are "very bad", I could find more fitting words to describe your behavior but, not sure they would be acceptable within the rules of this fine forum. So, I will just leave them to your imagination... now, just go away!!!

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 10-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
many times Nat. Champion in rowing and ex-member of the US Team in kayaking (still winning all my wildwater competitions these days, so no weight issues, either).
Wow. Just can't help yourself can you.

You incorrigible show off you.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Holein1,Why are you even here? It appears to me that you are acting just like an insecure jerk which didn't outgrow his bully years from school. Not that I can see that you contributed anything of value to this board besides uncalled for immature personal attacks. Seems you are the one with a problem for which you may considering a therapist. I doubt you are mature enough to see that. Now, as Albert said; Go away.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Ahhh, so it appears that people like Albert and you can dish it but just can't take it. As you may recall, I started only to give my opinion about the ride and what I would change about the car. Dear Albert, in his typical condescending fashion, suggested that it was "funny" that those of us who disagreed with his assessment of th ride were just a bunch of idiots.

The two of you have very similar MOs. Non-stop bragging about what you own/owned, your "expert" knowledge of everything, and your heroic experiences. Yet, when others offer their opinions that may contradict yours you would launch into these long-winded pontifications about how wrong they are. And then when someone calls you out on your nonsense, you just want them to go away. Now, who are the bullies here again?

I sincerely apologize to others on this thread for unintentionally hijacking the thread. I am just a little sick and tired of these forum bullies, which tend to exist on every board. I will give this a rest (and I hope these guys will too) and won't respond any longer on this topic.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Nothing like a good old cat fight.....MEEEEOOOOOWWWWW.....just could't resist...

Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old Truck.

I would prefer a solid roof and rather sit in the dark without rattles like in an old truck. Jaguar!

Last edited by Arpee; 06-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What would I change..............................
I would have changed the paddles but I am getting use to them @ 26000 miles.
Actually, I only started to use them regularly about 1000 miles ago.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

This is the first time I've read this 21 month old thread. Personally I love the panoramic roof on my 2011 XJL, and so does everyone who sits in the back seat. Regarding the ride, I did replace the original Pirelli Zero Nero tires with far superior Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires within a couple of weeks after buying the car this Fall, so any ride, handling and road noise issues are now non-existent. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the OEM navigation system, which is totally inferior to the 7 inch Garmin GPS I use instead. Jaguar splash guards need to be installed to preserve the paint behind the protruding wheels/tires. Brake dust is obnoxious, and an issue I intend to address with aftermarket ceramic brake pucks and aftermarket caliper covers (which will also address the caliper rusting issue). I would prefer Jaguar had not provided the silly transmission shift paddles which can be accidentally activated, and are rather superfluous since Jaguar engineers did such an outstanding job of programming the automatic transmission for downshifting as well as up-shifting.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ powered seat functions confusing and difficult to use

Does anyone else find that it is unclear what the seat functions are / how they are operated and that the buttons are hard to use? If I could change something, I would change that.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ADun56
Does anyone else find that it is unclear what the seat functions are / how they are operated and that the buttons are hard to use? If I could change something, I would change that.
Welcome to the forum ADun56,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, old thread but, still timely as we accumulate more experiences with the car. As for me, after two full years of ownership the only BIG issue I sill have is the ride. It may still be my particular car but, just not happy with the jiggly ride. I also have an XF and and XKR and have no issues. The XKR rides stiffer but, without the jiggling.

Other than that, slow electronics are forgiven and are nicely overcome by the still incredible looks, comforts and luxury of this car. Still get frequent comments from admiring people. I would LOVE to have this car with a good ride particularly as I am embarking on a longish 1500 miles trip soon.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Yeah, old thread but, still timely as we accumulate more experiences with the car. As for me, after two full years of ownership the only BIG issue I sill have is the ride. It may still be my particular car but, just not happy with the jiggly ride. I also have an XF and and XKR and have no issues. The XKR rides stiffer but, without the jiggling.

Other than that, slow electronics are forgiven and are nicely overcome by the still incredible looks, comforts and luxury of this car. Still get frequent comments from admiring people. I would LOVE to have this car with a good ride particularly as I am embarking on a longish 1500 miles trip soon.
Are you still running on the Pirelli Zero Nero OEM tires? I took them off at only 31,677 miles and changed to Continental ExtremeContact DWS ultra-performance all-season tires for superior ride and noise comfort, increased ability to maintain bumpy road contact at speed (due to less unsprung weight), superior wet traction, hydroplaning resistance, snow and ice traction, plus they provide a 50,000 mile warranty and lifetime road hazard replacement. Tires have a bigger influence on ride than almost anything else.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ADun56
Consult your owners handbook, which may be located in the inside of your trunk (boot) on the left side wall, rather than in the dashboard glove box. This booklet clearly explains the location and function of the comprehensive seat and headrest adjustment controls. Once you set them to your preferences, they can be stored in the driving position memory, which also adjusts the steering wheel and exterior mirrors, for up to three drivers of your car. Some head restraint adjustments are manually set.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Are you still running on the Pirelli Zero Nero OEM tires? I took them off at only 31,677 miles and changed to Continental ExtremeContact DWS ultra-performance all-season tires for superior ride and noise comfort, increased ability to maintain bumpy road contact at speed (due to less unsprung weight), superior wet traction, hydroplaning resistance, snow and ice traction, plus they provide a 50,000 mile warranty and lifetime road hazard replacement. Tires have a bigger influence on ride than almost anything else.
John - I changed the stock Pirelli tires at less than 2K miles because of the ride issues. Went for a set of Hankook Ventus V12s that worked and work fine on any other Jag I owned. No help with the ride on the XJL, however. It's been a long drag, I had Jaguar of NA involved but, when the rep came out for a test ride; guess what? My XJL decided to behave and made a liar out of me by riding fine during the test drive with two 200+ lbs passengers, just so that after the test drive on the way home it would ride terrible again :-). So, I have given up.

Pretty confident that something, like the electronic shocks, are intermittently bad on my car. At times it rides fine and I love it. About 50 percent of the other times, it rides terrible and I hate it. Definitely NOT a tire issue as the very same wheels and tires when placed on my '12 XF provide for a great ride and handling.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

John - I changed the stock Pirelli tires at less than 2K miles because of the ride issues. Went for a set of Hankook Ventus V12s that worked and work fine on any other Jag I owned. No help with the ride on the XJL, however. It's been a long drag, I had Jaguar of NA involved but, when the rep came out for a test ride; guess what? My XJL decided to behave and made a liar out of me by riding fine during the test drive with two 200+ lbs passengers, just so that after the test drive on the way home it would ride terrible again :-). So, I have given up.

Pretty confident that something, like the electronic shocks, are intermittently bad on my car. At times it rides fine and I love it. About 50 percent of the other times, it rides terrible and I hate it. Definitely NOT a tire issue as the very same wheels and tires when placed on my '12 XF provide for a great ride and handling.
Wow- What a bummer. I agree with you, it could very well your Bilstein continuously variable active damping suspension is malfunctioning at times.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Its always interesting why people go out of their way to attack others. If a subject is meaningless to a person, they would not give it any time.
Why do people buy certain types of cars? I'm sure 100 reasons.
For me, I was leaving Vietnam and the Military. At the PX you could buy anything without tax ( Combat Zone 1970) I wanted the Jaguar but it was over $5000 and I did not have the money at the time. I settled for the Triumph Spitfire. Now retired and not wanting to do the American Muscle cars again, and the Grand Cherokee fine for daliy work, but wanted something more and the Jag is different. ( The book Numbers are very underrated) As for the German imports, they are popular with a certian groups in the big cities, like crack dealers and gangster rappers. Thats not me, so back to the Jag. It was a long term dream. Better I have this at retirement age, because if I was driving this in 30, 40's I would not have made it to retirement.
~LATER~
BILL----------------------->

Old 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default What to change? Not much.

I’ve just had my 2013 Super-charged V6 XJ with Portfolio Package for just a couple of weeks, and am very happy with it.I couldn’t find anything that I wanted locally, so was able to locate a CPO with 8000 miles, at a dealer 700 miles away.It’s a beautiful Indigo Blue Metallic with a London Tan interior.More time with the car may tell a different story, especially due to the fact that it only had 8000 miles on it for the 18 months that it’s been alive!

Originally I really wanted a V-8, thinking that V-6 Jaguar wouldn’t have much cache.Well after test driving it and the 700 mile drive back home, it has more than enough “cache” for this old foggy.According to the specs, 0 to 60 in 5.7 secs, Top speed 155 miles an hour and Highway MPG of 27 mpg.I don’t know about the “Top Speed” part, but I’m pretty sure of the 0 to 60 at under 6 secs., on entering I-77 from the very short entrance ramps.As for the fuel economy?Pulling into my garage after the trip home, the car’s Trip Computer showed a final mpg as 31.6 miles per gallon.Not bad for a luxury sedan and a guy with a medium-heavy foot.

What don’t I like so far?A big learning curve with all of the systems and functions on the vehicle.No convenient, effective place for my radar detector and only one power outlet in the front.The “J” fell off the trunk and left me with “-AGUAR”.It happened whilst I was toweling off the remnants of a Summer shower, luckily finding it right as it fell off.A quick bit of Super Glue had it in place over the foam tape they used in assembly.

Unlike some of you, I haven’t had the opportunity to experience driving some of the premium “Benzes”, BMWs or Audis; let alone any of the exotics.My ride for the last 8 years was a Black 2006 Jaguar XJ8 and I loved that car, but after 92,000 miles it was time to move on.So, my window of comparison may be limited, but I’m really looking forward to many miles with the 2013, and I hope it’s good to me.

And as Collin Raye sings in his country tune, “That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it”.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
I’ve just had my 2013 Super-charged V6 XJ with Portfolio Package for just a couple of weeks, and am very happy with it.I couldn’t find anything that I wanted locally, so was able to locate a CPO with 8000 miles, at a dealer 700 miles away.It’s a beautiful Indigo Blue Metallic with a London Tan interior.More time with the car may tell a different story, especially due to the fact that it only had 8000 miles on it for the 18 months that it’s been alive!

Originally I really wanted a V-8, thinking that V-6 Jaguar wouldn’t have much cache.Well after test driving it and the 700 mile drive back home, it has more than enough “cache” for this old foggy.According to the specs, 0 to 60 in 5.7 secs, Top speed 155 miles an hour and Highway MPG of 27 mpg.I don’t know about the “Top Speed” part, but I’m pretty sure of the 0 to 60 at under 6 secs., on entering I-77 from the very short entrance ramps.As for the fuel economy?Pulling into my garage after the trip home, the car’s Trip Computer showed a final mpg as 31.6 miles per gallon.Not bad for a luxury sedan and a guy with a medium-heavy foot.

What don’t I like so far?A big learning curve with all of the systems and functions on the vehicle.No convenient, effective place for my radar detector and only one power outlet in the front.The “J” fell off the trunk and left me with “-AGUAR”.It happened whilst I was toweling off the remnants of a Summer shower, luckily finding it right as it fell off.A quick bit of Super Glue had it in place over the foam tape they used in assembly.

Unlike some of you, I haven’t had the opportunity to experience driving some of the premium “Benzes”, BMWs or Audis; let alone any of the exotics.My ride for the last 8 years was a Black 2006 Jaguar XJ8 and I loved that car, but after 92,000 miles it was time to move on.So, my window of comparison may be limited, but I’m really looking forward to many miles with the 2013, and I hope it’s good to me.

And as Collin Raye sings in his country tune, “That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it”.

You will be very happy with your car. I've had mine for 4 years and haven't seen another luxury car of the same quality that I would trade it in for.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the heads up on different tire brands. We have a wine tour company in Napa and all our vehicles have Michelins . . . will do the same when we swap out our 2012 XJL Portfolio for a 2014 V6 Supercharged . . . After a V8, do you believe I'll like the reduced power (45hp)??

The Nav system as we all know, sucks big time and in fact it's way slower than our '07 Navigator's!!

Question:- Is the Nav system better on the '14's?

Quick Reply: What would you change in your xj?